Author Topic: Big explosion in west texas, anyone there?  (Read 9250 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Big explosion in west texas, anyone there?
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »
No reason for gov't to step in here.  I would bet dollars to donuts the plant predates the surrounding structures.  Property owners knew of it and were OK with the risk.  And most will end up OK.  Some, not so much. 

An article I saw said that the plant owners were asked about the possibility of an explosion during the planning process and they stated flat out that it "could not" explode. Based on that, I would have to conclude that the property owners did not know of it and were not okay with the risk.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »
Slow-mo of a phone vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVzz8NylTwM

From the frame or two prior to the full explosion it looks like the ignition point was slightly away from the main fire, somewhere in the combustion gas column.  I wonder if there was a chlorine source somewhere in the immediate vicinity.  When ammonia gas is exposed to chlorine in high enough concentrations you get nitrogen trichloride, which is some pretty nasty stuff.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 12:06:34 PM »
Slow-mo of a phone vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVzz8NylTwM

From the frame or two prior to the full explosion it looks like the ignition point was slightly away from the main fire, somewhere in the combustion gas column.  I wonder if there was a chlorine source somewhere in the immediate vicinity.  When ammonia gas is exposed to chlorine in high enough concentrations you get nitrogen trichloride, which is some pretty nasty stuff.

Brad

Some folks are claiming it was an incoming missle  :facepalm:  [tinfoil]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »

Yeah, saw that.  I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will latch onto like like a tick to a dog.  Sometimes you have to wonder how some people can remember to breath.  The gross ignorance on display when it comes to basic science is stunning.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:21:27 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »

Maybe the Norks were aiming for Washington DC with their usual stellar accuracy....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
Yeah, saw that.  I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will latch onto like like a tick to a dog.  Sometimes you have to wonder how some people can remember to breath.  The gross ignorance some people display when it comes to basic science is stunning.

Brad

I thought perhaps that it was some sort of effect with the video, sort of a digital version of a lens flare  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2013, 12:36:52 PM »
In one of the post-explosion cellphone videos, residents speculated that it was a plane crash.  Seems like a reasonable assumption, given the information they had at the time.  I suspect plane crashes account for a large percentage of cornfield-based fiery explosions.  I think I might have made a similar guess with limited information.

Missile strike would have rated a bit lower on the probability scale, but I did turn the shiny side inward by accident.   [tinfoil]

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »
In one of the post-explosion cellphone videos, residents speculated that it was a plane crash.  Seems like a reasonable assumption, given the information they had at the time.  I suspect plane crashes account for a large percentage of cornfield-based fiery explosions.  I think I might have made a similar guess with limited information.

Or Klingon spacecraft crashes:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Bow_%28Star_Trek:_Enterprise%29

In 2151, a Klingon named Klaang crashes his Klingon K'toch-class scoutship in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. He dispatches his two Suliban pursuers inside a silo, but is then shot unconscious by a corn farmer.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »
reminded me of a flashover from unburned gases finding an ignition source outside the primary burn zone.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
In Texas, they scream "Armadillos !!!"   =D

Horny Toads
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2013, 06:41:50 PM »
Horny Toads

Best keep your back against the wall and don't drop the soap.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2013, 06:46:10 PM »
Best keep your back against the wall and don't drop the soap.

Nah, they were my little buddies in the back yard when we lived in Austin.   :lol:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2013, 07:07:27 PM »
I think they're kinda cute (the reptile, not neccessarily the students).
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2013, 08:18:51 PM »
Horny Toads

Only the Texans on the Coast say that.... =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2013, 08:25:56 PM »
Last I heard was the firefighters putting water on the fire may have triggered the explosion.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »
11 of the 14 dead were volunteer emergency responders.

They need to build statues or name high schools after them.

If they hadn't got the area mostly evacuated, the death toll would likely have been in the triple digits.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »
Last I heard was the firefighters putting water on the fire may have triggered the explosion.

??? You fight anhydrous fires with water just like any other fire.  Who is saying it may have triggered the explosion, and why?

Does anyone know if they had a pile of AN laying around?  Even forty or fifty tons of that laying around during a fire would be... bad.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:12:54 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
my organization works very closely with Dallas Fire & Rescue. I never met him, but office-mates worked with Kenny Harris, the Captain who lived nearby and went to assist.

Rest in peace, Captain, with the other brave souls who went after the fire that day.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »
??? You fight anhydrous fires with water just like any other fire.  Who is saying it may have triggered the explosion, and why?

Does anyone know if they had a pile of AN laying around?  Even forty or fifty tons of that laying around during a fire would be... bad.

Brad

Not really sure what the reported issue is but have heard more than once about water mixing with something at the plant makes a violent gas. Some of the locals are kinda pissed about these statements. They were doing the best that they could. You would think that if they were doing something wrong the firefighter from Dallas that was on the scene and died could have stopped or redirected the efforts. Just keep in mind that this is not an official report via the news. Just things heard from those that know people in the area.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:58:25 PM by p12 »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »
It is very possible that there was another chemical there that mixed with the water and created an explosion. We don't know everything about a scene while we are on it, especially something that you might never even see until you find out later about it.

Also this could have happened:

Never apply water to a large pool of liquid ammonia. Pools of ammonia will autorefrigerate to 28 degrees below 0. Applying relatively warm water will increase the vaporization of ammonia by raising its temperature.

http://www.mda.state.mn.us/chemicals/spills/ammoniaspills/fdresponse.aspx

Water Use

Applying water is the most effective tool to fight an anhydrous ammonia release. Before the decision is made to aggressively attach the release many factors must be reasoned through.

Staging water upwind of a potential ammonia releaseVehicles must approach carefully from up wind or from the side. It is difficult if not impossible to drive across a freshly plowed or muddy field with fire truck apparatus not to mention hauling water out to the site of an ammonia release.

Having enough water is vital. As a rule of thumb, 100 gallons of water is needed for every gallon of product released. A 500-gallon apparatus will only allow a few minutes of support. A long-term sustained attack will require lots of water and in rural locations this means shuttle operations.

If a fire is impinging on the ammonia tank the pressure relief valves must be working properly. Keep the tank cool by applying water on its shell.

Never apply water to a large pool of liquid ammonia. Pools of ammonia will autorefrigerate to 28 degrees below 0. Applying relatively warm water will increase the vaporization of ammonia by raising its temperature.

Before applying water, work with the managers to determine where runoff will flow or pond. A simple earthen dike will contain the ammonia contaminated water for later recovery and disposal.

Using Water to Approach and Secure the Source of an Ammonia Release

Fog streams provide a protective curtain for a safe approach to the source.
    Attack using 2, 1½ inch lines. Consider additional lines if available.
    Both lines should apply 95 gallons per minute with 100 psi at each nozzle end. (? minutes * 2 lines * 95 gallons = amount of water needed)
    Attack crew should consist of 5 members. A crew leader flanked by a nozzle person and hose handler on each of the leader's sides. All on supplied air.
    The crew leader should be wearing ammonia rated gloves. All must be on supplied air (SCBAs) and enough air must be available.
    Rotate nozzles applying maximum flow with the widest fog pattern.
    Angle your approach to avoid high downwind concentrations.
    A rapid high and wide rotation is more effective for ammonia absorption.
    Nozzle end holders should rotate in unison like the wheels on a bike.
    If a line fails or crew member develops skin irritation evacuate immediately and reassess.
    Narrow sweep when closing in on source.
    Avoid pools of ammonia.
    Force vapors down to the ground
    Narrow fog sweep significantly as you close in on source.
    Crew leader reaches to valve and tightens it stopping flow.
    Decontaminate crew members with water prior to leaving scene. k

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
Heard on the news this am that there was 54k lbs :O of ammonium nitrate on site. Also heard that if they had more than 400 lbs requires reporting to the feds. If the reports are true that the volume had not been reported, plant owner is toast.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
Both lines should apply 95 gallons per minute with 100 psi at each nozzle end.

We have one truck that can put out that kind of flow.  Trouble is that is so slow that it might be next Tuesday before it gets there.  Better give us 24 hours notice before you're planning to have an incident.

I think those guidelines are for a leaking tank, not an entire plant on fire.   =|

I'm not sure if anybody even uses ammonia around here.  Pretty much just hay and livestock.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2013, 12:15:05 PM »
Watched one news report with before and after aerial video.  Before shot showed covered, open front structure with many ton piles of AN inside.  After shot showed structure was gone, large crater in its place.  Hmmm...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.