Author Topic: Powers out in india  (Read 5882 times)

stevelyn

• friend
Re: Powers out in india
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 04:16:18 AM »
I wonder if the residents of the US would be quite as calm if the country went dark?

In the rural areas no problem. In the urban cesspools, big problem.

Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 05:15:55 AM »
You know that the looting/violence in Katrina was vastly exaggerated even by people who were there, right?

Except for the looting/violence done by cops, which was vastly under-reported even by the cops who were there, right?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 07:36:08 AM »
More Indian power grids crashed today.  This time it's 600 million without juice.  It just keeps getting more interesting.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »
Talked to some buddies in India. Apparently problem was in North, Northeast and East India.  

"half of india was in power outage today...more than 700 train halted, all metro stopped, traffic signals light stopped..hospitals and houses were in electricity crises today"

"Govt till now dont know what happened and what could be done to stop this crises....however, govt promised that after 7 pm...it will be resolved...but every state is getting electricity in installment."

"As per govt. this problem arises as many states in India are consuming much electricity more than its quota...as per govt. western and northern Grid power station has failed due to overload capacity"

"Yeah...people are angry and critising govt....but right now there are no rallies...no riots..."

"there is little electricity crises in some states...as some states have started consuming more power in recent years...Govt is building more hydro and power plants..but consumption is more than production....even Nuclear power electricity project is also in vain...when there is no power and when our invertors/generator also exhaust...we indian normaly goes out and meet friends and gather together in groups...but depands upon climate...or sit in our homes and use flashlights and wait till electricity comes back"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:28:35 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/even-wider-blackouts-sweep-india-second-day-090157631.html

Second India blackout in two days cuts power to 670 million

Here is round two.
I do wonder how that US Tech / Call Center support is going these days!  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »

In the rural areas no problem. In the urban cesspools, big problem.

Maybe your problem is not so much the average American, but the.... let's say, 'specific groups of people dwelling in certain inner-city areas'?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 08:19:41 PM »
Frack.  I just bought 2 more Dells.

Hope I don't need tech support...    =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
I'd be afraid that if the power went out too long, I'd be trapped on an escalator. 

Scary, that.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 08:26:38 PM »
I'd be afraid that if the power went out too long, I'd be trapped on an escalator.  

Scary, that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXCuGvsThEw

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 10:22:58 PM »
Maybe your problem is not so much the average American, but the.... let's say, 'specific groups of people dwelling in certain inner-city areas'?

Nope. They're all lumped together. Most American urbanites are enslaved to a centralized power, water, food, garbage and sewage system. None of them can operate independently without it except for a short period of time measured in hours at the most especially those that live in apartment buildings. And I'll bet few have any provisions of any kind stored away. Even those in suburbia in their cookie-cutter cracker boxes on a little sliver of land are still enslaved to the same centralized distrbution system.

People out in the rural areas have wells and independent sewage systems and can go Amish at the drop of a hat. Plus those of us in the bush have up to three months or more of supplies where we wouldn't starve. Those along the road system probably less as they get out more. We also manual back-ups for water and alternate water sources. Can't use the indoor shitter? I can have an outhouse dug and hammered together in a day with scrap materials. Garbage? That's what burn barrels are for. Try that in the backyard of your HOA-ruled suburban paradise.

Most of use can produce our own power to run pumps, keep the freezer frozen even if they are only run for a few hours or less a day. We can maintain indefinitely. The only issue after several days is fuel.

For proof, all you have to do is watch the chaos that happens when a little storm passes through any populated area down there that shuts off the power and services for a few days. The cities are chaotic. Those living out away from town just settle in until it's over.

Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »
Interesting discussion, particularly between Micro and CSD.  My own experiences after the Northridge Earthquake mirrored Micro’s arguments.  

At the time of the quake, I lived in a very densely populated area of Los Angeles.  To be sure, it was West Los Angeles (my neighborhood was solidly middle class) and not East LA.  Also to be sure, the quake happened on a holiday weekend at 4:31 am (on the morning of the fairly recently adopted MLK day).

Also, I was not at the epicenter of the quake.  On the other hand, just a few miles east of me, the Santa Monica Freeway (Interstate 10) pancaked in two large sections mid-city (poorer neighborhoods).  Several areas not even close to the epicenter suffered extensive damage.

Virtually no civil disturbances were reported throughout the entire city.  Looters were all but non-existent.  People came together to check up on one another and help in the clean-up.    

How could this happen?  By all accounts, Los Angeles is this den of iniquity, where many theoretical worst-case scenarios are played out, in films, the forums, etc.  

A former LAPD official offered his thoughts.  

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-02-06/opinion/op-19644_1_northridge-earthquake

Maybe it was the time of day, in the middle of winter, on a holiday weekend.

Maybe, as the quake happened less than two years after the Rodney King riots, people were tired of fighting.

Maybe, the quick and organized responses of emergency crews kept people civilized.  As a result of the quake, my telephone and electricity were knocked out.  Gas, thankfully, was unaffected.  Phones were up by 9:00 am and electricity, albeit shakily, was up by 1:00 pm the day of the quake.  If the outages had gone on longer….???  Who knows.

Maybe the current economic climate will cause a stronger negative reaction in a disaster (although, at that time, I believe that we were also undergoing a recession – not as bad admittedly).

These are some things to consider.  Based on the above, however, I am not going to immediately assume that Americans are likely to go feral in the case of a disaster.  Stories abound where folks around the country got together and rebuilt/fixed/whatever.  

Andrea
To the stars!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2012, 02:56:41 PM »
The tale wherein "everyone starts murdering each other for their gold fillings after the power goes out" is a media myth. The closest thing to that is the New York blackouts of 1977 (not a single man was killed in the blackouts of 1977)- but then again, there were multiple incidents of major, multi-state blackouts that ended peacefully. On the other hand, the blackout of 1965, leaving 30 million people without power, constituted the lowest-crime night in the entire history of New York City.

I would expect that outside of inner cities, crime would actually drop or become nearly nonexistant if the grid goes down.
The idea that robbing/burlarizing a farmhouse or semi-rural home could get you 'disappeared' into a shallow grave instead of 3 squares and roof over your head in county lockup has got to be a great deterrent.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 02:59:19 PM »
. . .  the quake happened on a holiday weekend at 4:31 am  . . . Phones were up by 9:00 am and electricity, albeit shakily, was up by 1:00 pm the day of the quake. . . .
I suspect an evening or night blackout may have produced a less benign response than a morning with no power, at least in some parts of the city.

When I was a kid, I went through a couple of prolonged blackouts in Chicago . . . my area had no "urban unrest" and the police were very high profile in the bad areas to keep a lid on things. Of course, those were different times . . .

Here in TX, I suspect an outbreak of looting in the absence of police would be very dangerous . . . for the would-be looters. ESPECIALLY at night. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 03:44:03 PM »
I was in NY for both the 65 blackout and the 77 blackout, the 65 blackout happened in cooler weather and before the huge changes the sixties had to offer.

The 77 one was wild, I was in the Bronx standing on Broadway when the lights went- I could see block after block go black all the way south into Manhattan, then a minute later-a huge roar, like millions of people literally screaming then immediately following that the sounds of windows being smashed.

iirc it was pretty warm, so lots of folks headed for the streets.

I think things would be calm for a week but after that a nationwide blackout would be pretty bad with riots and such 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."