Author Topic: TV Optical Headset Recommendations?  (Read 776 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
TV Optical Headset Recommendations?
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »
I'm having a heck of a time with this, and maybe I'm just searching in the wrong way. The scenario:

My hard of hearing old man decided he wanted a new TV, so he bought one - with optical as the only audio out (no bluetooth). His prior TV had RCA, so I simply bought him some wireless headphones with the standard RCA charger/transmitter. These served him very well. I'm having a heck of a time looking for the same thing for optical. I saw a couple of examples on Amazon, but the description was in the typical Chinese AI translation, so I am leery of the quality.

Any recommendations on this? Should I look for some kind of optical to RCA converter? The headphones have to be either the bigger over the ear kind or else very lightweight "sorta in the ear" headphones - my dad won't tolerate anything else. Also, whatever it is has to be dead simple, like just an on/off button and no resetting stuff if the power goes out, since I'm 800 miles away and can't reset it for him.

I've already been to Best Buy and got nothing. They had some really nice Bluetooth headsets that had a really high volume, which would have been perfect, but alas, again, no Bluetooth. Anyways, recommendations appreciated.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: TV Optical Headset Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
If he already has headphones that he enjoys, I'd just suggest getting the converter. The best seller on amazon is $13 and has 4 stars+ with over 2000 reviews.

Dealing with my own aging parents, I know mine would enjoy just continuing to use the headphones they already own and know.

BUT, if you're looking for a new one to work with the TV, you could try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Wireless-Headphones-Watching-Transmitter/dp/B07CKVBWNY

Claims to be compatible with all kinds of current and past connections.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 01:51:27 PM »
Thanks. I might try that converter for $13. Of course I have to get him a new headset anyway because he decided if the ones he had didn't plug right in they were no good, so in the trash they went. He's been impetuous like that that last few years. They were old, so no big deal, but man that guy is starting to cost me some real money with his "I'm 92 years old - I don't care about anything!" shtick.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 12:55:18 AM »
Okay, I'll be the first to admit my ignorance. What is optical audio?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 01:10:09 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 07:55:42 AM »

Closed captioning, obviously
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 08:46:40 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 09:50:55 AM »
Any idea what model TV? A little odd to have only an optical out. Maybe some connectors hidden behind an access panel?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:08:14 AM »
Any idea what model TV? A little odd to have only an optical out. Maybe some connectors hidden behind an access panel?

Brad

Samsung. I've already seen it - they have it at my Costco here too. No hidden outlets, manual is also clear that your choices are optical or TV speakers. Even their expensive ones do this now, just with the addition of Bluetooth.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 10:49:45 AM »
Easiest will be a simple standalone DAC to take it from SPDIF to RCA/3.5mm. Once installed, he can use the headphones in a way that's functionally identical to his prior setup. Nothing to relearn.

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD8023-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B00KCRYIWM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=22LATI798GVI9&keywords=optical+to+rca+converter&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1556203399&refinements=p_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER&rnid=303116011&s=electronics&sprefix=optical+to+rca%2Celectronics%2C163&sr=1-3

Helpful hint... if you're walking him through the install over the phone, make sure he removes the protective tips from the TOSLINK cable before trying to connect it. I've lost count of how many friends' home theater "sound issues" I've solved by quietly removing this little chunk of clear nothingness they didn't realize was there.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 10:59:49 AM »
Easiest will be a simple standalone DAC to take it from SPDIF to RCA/3.5mm. Once installed, he can use the headphones in a way that's functionally identical to his prior setup. Nothing to relearn.

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD8023-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B00KCRYIWM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=22LATI798GVI9&keywords=optical+to+rca+converter&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1556203399&refinements=p_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER&rnid=303116011&s=electronics&sprefix=optical+to+rca%2Celectronics%2C163&sr=1-3

Helpful hint... if you're walking him through the install over the phone, make sure he removes the protective tips from the TOSLINK cable before trying to connect it. I've lost count of how many friends' home theater "sound issues" I've solved by quietly removing this little chunk of clear nothingness they didn't realize was there.

Brad

I'm actually flying down next week to set it up for him, among other things. Though he now lives next door to my sister, she's useless. She had trouble turning his Jitterbug phone on yesterday.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »
My Samsung TV is a little over 10 years old. It has the full slate of output jacks, including optical.

When I got my soundbar the other year it also used optical, so I used that as the connection.

As I understand it HDMI is preferred over optical because it can pass higher quality sound in Dolby Digital.

My TV doesn't have Bluetooth output, but the sound bar does have Bluetooth input, which is nice when I want to stream audio from my phone over the sound bar.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 12:42:51 PM »
I'm looking at a fairly high end Samsung TV on line, the Q90R QLED 4K unit, and it's got 4 HDMI ports, 3 USB ports, and an optical port. I'm thinking that if your Dad's TV has a spare HDMI port that it can be used for audio.