Author Topic: Just when you think you've seen everything...  (Read 3645 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Just when you think you've seen everything...
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
...you run across a sporty red Prius with spoiler on the back.
Saw the thing while driving home from work today.  :laugh:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Just when you think you've seen everything...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »
That improves the mileage, ya know.  ;/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »
I remember some years back, a company was making a spoiler for a Pinto.

They claimed that at higher legal speeds, it would generate a good amount of downforce with only a modest amount of drag . . . but of course, on a Pinto, even a modest amount of drag might keep it from reaching the higher legal speeds in the first place. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 11:10:47 PM »
A spoiler on a Prius. I guess there's some tree-huggers who are motorheads at heart.

Pinto's were good cars for racing, and popular racers, too.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
I saw one hooked up to a 10' uhaul trailer once.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »
I saw one hooked up to a 10' uhaul trailer once.

A spoiler or a Prius?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 11:35:17 PM »
Both.  A Prius with a big cheese-slicer-looking spoiler and a uhaul trailer right behind it.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
I have a 2000 Saturn SL2 and it came with a spoiler.  Does that count? [popcorn] [tinfoil] :laugh: :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »
Seems like we go through this every so often, when a new crop of undocumented guest workers learn that if you pay the $103 down but give them phoney names, addresses and other ID you may never have to make another payment.

Apparently adding a spoiler helps you drive a consistent 7.25 mph below the posted speed limit - tactic devised not to actually impede traffic but to ensure that you are never pulled over for speeding, because once that happens the cops (state & local) will run your immigration status, and the locals will keep you in jail long enough for a full terrorist background check to be completed before you can even think about going to trial.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 10:30:25 AM »
Pintos will bust 110 Mph with a Mustang Cobra II Turbo and modified waste gate and water/alcohol injection! Here is my Pinto Pony MPG in full street trim, with automatic trans and factory gearing in the 2.8:1 - 3:1 range smoking the tires in a local auto-x. I had her set up for SCCA Rally runs at the time.

http://www.herohog.com/images/cars/PINTO1.wmv

My wife is riding in there with me. We both raced her and drove her daily around Shreveport, LA for a few years!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:35:24 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
My wife is riding in there with me. We both raced her and drove her daily around Shreveport, LA for a few years!

You raced your wife and drove her around town daily...?   :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 10:56:21 AM »
You raced your wife and drove her around town daily...? 

Well, it was Louisiana. Wild Cajuns and all. ;)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 01:02:30 AM »

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 01:17:37 AM »
Pintos will bust 110 Mph with a Mustang Cobra II Turbo and modified waste gate and water/alcohol injection! Here is my Pinto Pony MPG in full street trim, with automatic trans and factory gearing in the 2.8:1 - 3:1 range smoking the tires in a local auto-x. I had her set up for SCCA Rally runs at the time.

http://www.herohog.com/images/cars/PINTO1.wmv

you are my hero. . . .um, hog!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 01:18:01 AM »
You know what amazes me about those photos, Bedlamite? (After I finished laughing, of course). It's not that the owners obviously don't have much or any money. It's that they actually took a fair amount of time and deliberately made something absolutely ridiculous.

It's like seeing a beater car with a giant "Ford" or "Toyota" sticker across the front windshield. The person actually took the time to buy the thing and put it on a piece of junk.

That just mystifies me.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 01:37:37 AM »
I actually did something similar on a Subaru wagon a few years ago. It was a friends car that he was running in an enduro in the compact class. I finished welding in his roll cage, we had a few beers, and you can figure out the rest. The tech guys (after laughing their AO) let us keep the wing, but made us take off the coffee can tailpipe and hood scoop.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?