Author Topic: It has been a lousy weekend for airshows  (Read 3540 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
It has been a lousy weekend for airshows
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »
First, a member of the British Red Arrows dies in a crash of his jet trainer at Bournemouth Air Festival in Dorset.

Then an acrobatic pilot dies at the Kansas City Aviation Expo Air Show when he can't pull his sport biplane out of a spin.

Then a wing walker falls to his death at the Selfridge Air National Guard Base in southeast Michigan.

The Oregon International Air Show was held this weekend.  There have been no reports of problems there this year, so that is a good thing.  There was a fatal crash of a Hawker Hunter jet fighter at the 2007 show.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

tokugawa

• friend
Re: It has been a lousy weekend for airshows
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:07:59 PM »
Very sad. I lost a friend a few years ago when he was unable to recover from an inverted flat spin in his Pitts. Aerobatics is unforgiving.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:29:06 PM »
Not just here, either. Duxford lost Big Beautiful Doll to a collision with a Skyraider. Pilot bailed safely, but the Mustang went in about 40 degrees nose-down. Sandy made a safe landing elsewhere.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:43:22 PM »
Then an acrobatic pilot dies at the Kansas City Aviation Expo Air Show when he can't pull his sport biplane out of a spin.

From the article:

The pilot, identified as Bryan Jensen, was flying a biplane during the air show at Wheeler Downtown Airport  when it pancaked into the runway as a few thousand spectators watched on the first day of the show, according to the Kansas City Star.

"Pancaked"? Reporter obviously doesn't know airplane lingo. That video didn't show a pancake, that was "augering in."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 02:20:26 AM »
I barely missed being at Ramstein in '88.  We were in K-town that day shopping at the PX and it took longer then it should have.  We were on our way to the Airshow, when we saw the traffic before the show and said, "Screwit, let's go get something to eat."

Got back to our quarters later and the phone is ringing off the hook.  First from her boss at Landstuhl, calling her into work.  (LARMC called in everyone that day, no matter what their job of speciality was) and my unit trying to get 100% accountability.  Thankfully, none of our people were hurt (we did have several in the crowd)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 07:33:21 AM »
FoxNews actually has pictures of the wingwalker losing his grip and falling from the helicopter at the Selfridge air show.  Very graphic, so I won't provide a link.  It's easy to find on their site if you wish to view them.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:48:58 AM »
FoxNews actually has pictures of the wingwalker losing his grip and falling from the helicopter at the Selfridge air show.  Very graphic, so I won't provide a link.  It's easy to find on their site if you wish to view them.
The OP beat you to it anyway.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
Those pics weren't available when I posted the OP.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 10:59:06 PM »
Was just a couple months ago that Amanda Franklin died from her injuries in the engine fire/crash landing during that airshow in TX back in (I think) March.  Tough year for the wingwalking community.
Formerly sumpnz

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 11:24:52 PM »
Those pics weren't available when I posted the OP.
Oh.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 10:38:24 PM »
Now in Reno.

I hate that they're making a big deal about his age. All other things being equal  I'll fly with an 80 year old pilot in reasonable health over a 25 year old pilot in top health every day.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 11:23:39 PM »
Now in Reno..........

What a horrible tragedy.   The P-51 apparantly flew directly into the ground, due to possible mechanical failure.
I didn't realize the pilot was 80, but if he was otherwise healthy (and a lot of 80 year olds are) I see no reason why he shouldn't fly.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 11:47:11 PM »
Oh man, I was working all day and did not see it.  That saddens me greatly.  They fly right over my house. :'(
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »
Another lousy weekend for air shows and pilots.  First the P-51 crash at Reno, and now this: A 1950's vintage T-28 goes in, apparently killing the pilot, but no casualties on the ground.  Plane Crashes at West Virginia Air Show.

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 07:52:09 PM »
Just a quick correction, Jimmy Leeward was 74.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
Just a quick correction, Jimmy Leeward was 74.

I think the press vultures were reporting 80 for a while. He looked to be hale and full of vigor in the most recent photos I've seen of him, which I'd expect from a guy who races airplanes.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"