Author Topic: Arachnophobes view at your own risk  (Read 21270 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Arachnophobes view at your own risk
« on: September 02, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »
I was pulling some electronic components out of a storage cabinet for a project when I heard a noise down to my left.  This little guy was on the wall.

The quarter next to the glass provides scale.
Certainly not the largest spider around, but it is the biggest one I've seen in my garage to date.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Arachnophobes view at your own risk
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
Brown Recluse?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »
Kill it!  Stomp it!  Smash it!  Nuke it from orbit!!  Det cord around the glass!!  Then burn it!    Yaaaagghhhh. [ar15] [ar15]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »
Sweet flaming baby xenu on a pogo stick where in the *expletive deleted*ck do you live that you get spiders that size?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »
Brown Recluse?

Nope.  Too big, wrong markings, too furry, etc.
It looks like a giant house spider (Tegenaria gigantea), or maybe a 'Hobo' (Tegenaria agrestis). Both are large and the markings are similar.  They were imported from Europe some time in the past, where they are considered harmless.  However, Hobos have a bad rep in the Northwest, but many say it's undeserved.  Lots of discussion back and forth about it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »
Sweet flaming baby xenu on a pogo stick where in the *expletive deleted* do you live that you get spiders that size?

Lebanon, Oregon.  Those are pretty common in the Northwest, although that one is a rather large specimen.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:23:24 PM »
Any spider that you can hear moving is too big.  :O
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »
dammit! someone come over with a giant spatula to peel me off the ceiling please!   the only reason I can still type is because I happened to have my hands on the keyboard and the panicked clutching took it with me.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 05:16:49 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 05:19:25 PM »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »

+1
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 06:10:45 PM »
Awww, what a little guy.  There are some wolf spiders down here who would love to meet him.  >:D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »
See a few of these guys every year

I killed a big honking Black Widow 2 days ago while sorting a stack of lumber. Should of took a picture first but reflexes took over.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »

QFT.  Around here we don't have anything that big!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 07:33:46 PM »
We get wolf spiders down here that are that big; sometimes bigger.  Black widows too, though we seem to have killed them off.  I've been doing a lot of cleaning and throwing stuff away out in the garage and the shed and I've yet to see a black widow, which is a bit odd, since this place used to be practically infested with them. I did see something that looked like a black widow, but it was tan; I think it was just a house spider.  Killed it anyway, just to be sure.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:38:39 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 07:53:35 PM »
We see pretty big wolf spiders here from time to time.  I've found a few in my garage and around the foundation of my house.  In fact, that's what I thought this one was until I got a closer look at him.
We don't see too many black widows, fortunately.  I think I've seen maybe one or two in the garage in the five years since we've been here.
Keep in mind that some juvenile black widows are not black, instead being mostly white with black spots on the body.  They do become completely black with the red hourglass on the belly as they mature.  Saw a lot of those in Colorado many years ago, did not know what they were until I did some research.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
Keep in mind that some juvenile black widows are not black, instead being mostly white with black spots on the body.  They do become completely black with the red hourglass on the belly as they mature.  Saw a lot of those in Colorado many years ago, did not know what they were until I did some research.

Could have been.  After you mentioned that, I looked up pictures of black widows on Google.  The males sometimes look like smaller, tan females, so it could have been a male as well. 

I've also noticed that the ones around here don't get as fat as other widows.  Ours tend to be much more lanky. Must be from the low humidity and heat, because they sure as hell aren't lacking prey...

Either way, it's passed on. That spider is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If I hadn't nailed it with a piece of wood it'd be pushing up the daisies. Its metabolic processes are now history. It's off the twig. It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile. It is an ex-spider.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
*shudder* not a fan of spiders.

I killed what I beleive was a black widow the other day at the farm (stomped it but good)

I'vev never seen one before, but it was solid black with a bright red marking.

We get a lot of wolf spiders and dandy longlegs. I kill the wolf spiders, I let the dandies live as long asthey don't walk on me..
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
Daddy longlegs are not venomous, lacking venom glands.  Their "fangs" are actually a very small type of grasping claw, according to Wiki.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 09:25:52 PM »
Longlegs aren't spiders, either. 

What is that ugly *expletive deleted*ing thing, by the way, and why did you not incinterate it on sight?
JD

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
Oh come on.

There was a tarantula crawling on the lawn earlier this afternoon.  He was the size of my hand, almost.  He was looking for girl tarantulas, so he wasn't interested in me.  I pretty much leave em be.

dandy longlegs

No dandy spiders around here, ours are daddy longlegs.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 10:01:53 PM »
Longlegs aren't spiders, either.

True, although they are arachnids.  

What is that ugly *expletive deleted*ing thing, by the way, and why did you not incinterate it on sight?

See post #4 for what they are.  I'm not arachnophobic, and kind of like having them around to keep undesirable bugs in check, so no desire to squash'em. Unless they are black widows or brown recluses, then they are toast.

Never seen any tarantulas around these parts that I recall.  Too bad, they're neat spiders.  Saw a few in SoCal at Stumps and in AZ years ago when I lived there.
Saw one in a gas station restroom on the floor between the toilet I was squatting on and the wall.  That was many moons ago, so long ago I forgot where it was.  I was a kid traveling with my Dad on business that summer.  Idaho, maybe?  It was just sitting there, minding it's own business.  So I did mine and left.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:09:27 PM by RocketMan »

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »
Tarantula story:
Barracks in Yuma, we had a commons area on the second deck, with several pool tables, washer/driers, and TVs.  Place to hang out.  Several of us were doing just that when one of the guys came back from a det to El Centro. In a coffee can, he had one of the biggest damn tarantulas I've ever seen.  So they toss it on the pool table.  Its agitated, but not too bad.  Then, one of the guys from ARFF starts messing with it.  Over and over.  Its pissed.  Standing up on its back legs with its front legs and fangs up.  Needless to say, fire fighter boy is drunk.
He screws with the spider one last time and it sinks its fangs into the meat of his hand between the thumb and forefinger.
 :O
 :lol:
He screamed like a little girl.  We had a mock MOH ceremony for the spider.  Good times.
JD

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 10:31:28 PM »
He screws with the spider one last time and it sinks its fangs into the meat of his hand between the thumb and forefinger.
He deserved it, scare the spider enough, and he will defend himself.  That seems like a concept that would be understood here, no?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 11:03:51 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"