Author Topic: Arachnophobes view at your own risk  (Read 21269 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Arachnophobes view at your own risk
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »
I see tarantulas frequently where I go plinking. Still waiting to see one mix it up with a tarantula hawk.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »
I love orb weavers, but my wife has promised to stab me if I ever get one. Tarantualas are awesome too, but my time in AZ taught me a vehement hatred of scorpions. Got nailed by a baby scorp when I was 5 or 6.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2011, 08:08:17 PM »
I see tarantulas frequently where I go plinking. Still waiting to see one mix it up with a tarantula hawk.

It will lose.

Hell, YOU might lose going up against one of those SOB's...

...The sting, particularly of Pepsis formosa, is among the most painful of any insect...Commenting on his own experience, one researcher described the pain as "…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, second only to that of the bullet ant and is described by Schmidt as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric".
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
Around may, near Odessa,  if it rains just right,  you can see hundreds of big tarantulas scooting across the highway.

It really is a surreal sight.  I'll see if I can find the photo I took somewhere.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2011, 05:04:58 PM »
QFT.  Around here we don't have anything that big!

That's what she said. =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com