Author Topic: 7.7 quake off Canada's Inside Passage, tsunami warning in Hawaii  (Read 864 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
A 7.7 richter scale quake just off Canada's Inside Passage.  Numerous aftershocks.  A tsunami warning has been issued for much of Hawaii.  The wave is expected to hit about 15 minutes from now.  No real idea of how large it will be.
USGS quake page

Streaming video from KHON TV2

It's starting to look like the tsunami has dissipated most of its energy crossing the Pacific.  Only a few inches of receding water, then not much surge.  I think they dodged a bullet.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:37:22 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: 7.7 quake off Canada's Inside Passage, tsunami warning in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
I'm on the email list for work that gets the automated warnings from our tsunami buoy array. I got the first one around 2030 last night but decided not to post anything because it was only gonna hit Canada, so, meh.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:45:17 AM »
I'm on the email list for work that gets the automated warnings from our tsunami buoy array. I got the first one around 2030 last night but decided not to post anything because it was only gonna hit Canada, so, meh.  =D

Don't you mean Canada, so, eh?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 03:39:41 PM »
Man, this quake musta really shook things up. I've gotten three alerts in the last three hours, all in the 5.5 - 6.5 magnitude range in the same general location. Mother Earth has rumbly belly today.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »
Man, this quake musta really shook things up. I've gotten three alerts in the last three hours, all in the 5.5 - 6.5 magnitude range in the same general location. Mother Earth has rumbly belly today.

Gas.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.