Author Topic: Going to the range today!  (Read 943 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Going to the range today!
« on: January 08, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
It's been ages since I've been able to plan a trip to the local indoor range just for fun and profit.  I've not been using our family membership at the range like I should be.  Freezing rain in the forecast for later today, so I need to hit the road before it arrives.

On the schedule for today:
  • Testing two magazines with +2 extenders for my Glock 43.
  • Testing some new hollow point ammo for my G43 (in the magazines with the +2 extenders if they work well)
  • Renting a Springfield SD in 4 inch.  I plan to purchase another handgun in the next two months, and an SD is on the list of possibilities.
  • Fun!  =D There's 222 rounds of 9mm in the range bag, and I have to buy another 50 at the club for the rental.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Going to the range today!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:03:28 PM »
Nice. I really need to get to the range. It's been far too long. I have a couple I've not even shot yet.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »
Both magazines with the +2 extenders were FtF on the first round.  I knew they were a little tight with the thicker floor plate that came with the extension kit.  The manufacturer insists that you use their floor plate.  I went back to the thinner Glock mag floor plate, and the top round in the magazine isn't so tight.  I think both magazines will feed now.
I had to do the same thing with the Pearce +1 extensions I bought from Monkeyleg (I sure miss that guy. May he rest in peace.) and they work just fine.
I had a FtF with the first hollow point round off the top of my regular magazine.  The next nineteen rounds were flawless after that.  Since this is going to be my carry ammo, I went back to my LGS to ask their advice.  Am going to try some different lighter, faster HP that they recommend.
Shot an IWI Jericho in 9mm instead of the Springfield XD.  The range didn't have their rental XD for some reason, and the Jericho was the closest thing they had to it.  A fun gun, and accurate.  Looked close at the Springfield XD while I was at my LGS.  Nice, comfortable handgun, decent trigger pull except for being a skosh long.  But that's not much of an issue, should be easy enough to get used to.
Headed back to the range after lunch to test the +2 magazines with the thinner floor plates.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 03:58:52 PM »
Sounds like a fun shooting and tinkering day! :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »
Sounds like a fun shooting and tinkering day! :)

It was a fun day at that.  Both of the +2 extensions ran flawlessly through five full loads.  I'm happy with those.
The Liberty Civil Defense +P HPs I tried after the Sig Sauer HPs had a failure to eject on the first round, ran flawlessly after that.  I had deliberately left the gun dirty to give things a solid test.  I suspect the FtE was due to it having not been cleaned for over a hundred rounds.  I think I'll stick with the Liberty.
Got to fondle my next purchase at the LGS.  Will likely pick it up next month. We know the family that owns the place as they used to go to our church.  Good people, knowledgeable about the business.
All in all, a good day at the range.