Author Topic: Unibomber Dead  (Read 486 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Unibomber Dead
« on: June 11, 2023, 07:08:09 AM »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Unibomber Dead
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 09:06:32 AM »
Saw that.

One wonders about his personal history.  I was trying to run down some stuff about his mother I remembered from the time.  Totally mis-remembered, it turns out, unless I've slipped timelines.  Anyways  Wikipedia sez:

Psychological study

In his second year at Harvard, Kaczynski participated in a study described by author Alston Chase as a "purposely brutalizing psychological experiment" led by Harvard psychologist Henry Murray. Subjects were told they would debate personal philosophy with a fellow student and were asked to write essays detailing their personal beliefs and aspirations. The essays were given to an anonymous individual who would confront and belittle the subject in what Murray himself called "vehement, sweeping, and personally abusive" attacks, using the content of the essays as ammunition.[21] Electrodes monitored the subject's physiological reactions. These encounters were filmed, and subjects' expressions of anger and rage were later played back to them repeatedly.[21] The experiment lasted three years, with someone verbally abusing and humiliating Kaczynski each week.[22][23] Kaczynski spent 200 hours as part of the study.[24]

Kaczynski's lawyers later attributed his hostility towards mind control techniques to his participation in Murray's study.[21] During the Second World War, Murray worked with the Office of Strategic Services, a U.S. intelligence agency often referred to as the predecessor to the CIA, where he conducted psychological experiments.[25] Some sources have suggested that Murray's experiments were part of Project MKUltra, the Central Intelligence Agency's program of research into mind control.[26][27] Chase and others have also suggested that this experience may have motivated Kaczynski's criminal activities.[28][29] Kaczynski stated he resented Murray and his co-workers, primarily because of the invasion of his privacy he perceived as a result of their experiments. Nevertheless, he said he was "quite confident that [his] experiences with Professor Murray had no significant effect on the course of [his] life."[30]

And then there's this:
A STRANGER IN THE FAMILY PICTURE
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 06:10:05 PM »
Sad: Invitations To Unabomber's Funeral Mailed Out, But No One Wants To Open Them
https://babylonbee.com/news/sad-invitations-to-unabombers-funeral-mailed-out-but-no-one-wants-to-open-them
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 08:45:31 PM »
Now he is sane.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 09:42:36 PM »
Sad: Invitations To Unabomber's Funeral Mailed Out, But No One Wants To Open Them
https://babylonbee.com/news/sad-invitations-to-unabombers-funeral-mailed-out-but-no-one-wants-to-open-them

That headline needed a Class V Food/Beverage warning.....

Seriously...

I just tried to snort laugh salad through my sinuses.... 

Pardon me while I go snozzle the shop vac to clear bacon out of my nasal passages.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 07:34:24 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 02:47:38 PM »
Too bad he didn't hang himself before he started hurting people.