Author Topic: Section of I-95 has collapsed in Philly  (Read 882 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Section of I-95 has collapsed in Philly
« on: June 11, 2023, 06:20:24 PM »
A petroleum tanker fire has caused a section of overpass on the northbound lanes of I-95 to collapse in Philadelphia.  The southbound lane overpass at the same location is damaged.  The freeway is closed indefinitely.
One person remains trapped in a vehicle, condition unknown.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-i-95-collapse-shapiro-says-person-possibly-trapped-vehicle-biden-briefed-disaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHs4PdUHuI
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Section of I-95 has collapsed in Philly
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 06:40:15 PM »
"President Biden has been briefed on the collapse."

Thank god, means I can sleep easy tonight.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 08:23:24 PM »
 [tinfoil]
Tanker fire.
Right.
That's what they want you to believe.
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 08:57:59 PM »
The real question is how did they manage to get the tanker to catch fire right at that spot?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 09:40:35 PM »
Trump's fault in 3....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 09:59:22 AM »
[tinfoil]
Tanker fire.
Right.
That's what they want you to believe.
 [tinfoil]
Burning fuel can't melt concrete and rebar!!   :old: :old:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 03:26:49 PM »

Actually, yes, it can.

The Yale Architecture School building is an all-concrete, "brutalist" style building designed by one-time Dean of the school, Paul Rudolph. The entire structure is reinforced concrete.  Back in the 1960s there was a huge fire in one of the studios. I knew a guy who had graduated from college a year before me who was a student there at the time, and he said it was common knowledge that the fire was started by a disgruntled student.

t was near the end of the academic year and all the students were heavily into their final projects, so all the studios had lots of paper (plans) and cardboard (for models) in them. The fuel load was quite large, and the fire developed enough heat to soften the reinforcing bars in one or two of the top-most stories and the roof.

In this photo, I think everything to the right of the tower just right of center is a later addition:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 03:31:14 PM »
My first thought was Matt Bracken's EFAD, someone applying a little bit of Superman's Fist to a bridge.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2023, 04:12:26 PM »
well at least it wasn't an electric vehicle, as far as we are being told. ;)

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 04:22:34 PM »
Actually, yes, it can.

The Yale Architecture School building is an all-concrete, "brutalist" style building designed by one-time Dean of the school, Paul Rudolph. The entire structure is reinforced concrete.  Back in the 1960s there was a huge fire in one of the studios. I knew a guy who had graduated from college a year before me who was a student there at the time, and he said it was common knowledge that the fire was started by a disgruntled student.

t was near the end of the academic year and all the students were heavily into their final projects, so all the studios had lots of paper (plans) and cardboard (for models) in them. The fuel load was quite large, and the fire developed enough heat to soften the reinforcing bars in one or two of the top-most stories and the roof.

In this photo, I think everything to the right of the tower just right of center is a later addition:

Yeah, but that building is so hideously fugly it deserves to be burned. (as long as nobody gets hurt).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2023, 05:08:31 PM »
Yeah, but that building is so hideously fugly it deserves to be burned. (as long as nobody gets hurt).

They don't call that style "Brutalist" for nothin'.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2023, 05:14:29 PM »
Reportedly the body of the driver of the truck has been found.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2023, 05:20:05 PM »

It doesn't have to melt it.

I've seen the after effects of fires where heat expanded steel reinforcement in cast concrete members sent sizable chunks of concrete sailing over 100 yards. The concrete looked as if someone had set small explosive charges.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2023, 05:22:57 PM »
They don't call that style "Brutalist" for nothin'.

Stylistically very similar to much of the construction to be found in the Soviet Union in the 1930s through the 1950s.

Given that it was for Yale, I'm thinking that the architect was just emulating one of his proletariat heroes. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2023, 05:23:51 PM »

I've seen the after effects of fires where heat expanded steel reinforcement in cast concrete members sent sizable chunks of concrete sailing over 100 yards. The concrete looked as if someone had set small explosive charges.

100 yards?
SpaceX: Meh
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2023, 05:27:42 PM »

That's part of the problem. The other part is that the heat takes the strength out of the steel.

Conventional steel used in steel beams has a tensile strength of around 36,000 psi. The steel used in rebar is more like 60,000 psi. In reinforced concrete, concrete is very good at resisting compression but it sucks in resisting tension -- so the steel is in there to resist the tensile forces. The concrete initially provides some thermal protection but, once that has been overcome, the heat softens the rebars and allows them to stretch -- which is {structurally] "not a good thing"(tm). The worst part is that, even if it doesn't collapse, the heat takes the temper out of the rebar so it isn't as strong as it was, even after cooling down. (If the structure hasn't collapsed entirely.)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2023, 05:28:12 PM »
100 yards?
SpaceX: Meh

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2023, 10:49:52 AM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2023, 11:16:01 AM »

Psst.  I think they missed the joke.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2023, 11:37:24 AM »
Psst.  I think they missed the joke.
Yeah.   =(
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2023, 11:42:04 AM »
"Burning fuel can't melt concrete and rebar!! "

I have it on good authority -- from a friend's brother's sister's uncle's magician's chef's husband's chorister's professor's haberdasher -- that the truck was loaded with chemtrail fluid... and who knows what temperatures that *expletive deleted*it burns at.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2023, 11:51:44 AM »
"Burning fuel can't melt concrete and rebar!! "

I have it on good authority -- from a friend's brother's sister's uncle's magician's chef's husband's chorister's professor's haberdasher -- that the truck was loaded with chemtrail fluid... and who knows what temperatures that *expletive deleted*it burns at.

Swamp gas

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2023, 11:56:05 AM »
Jokes aside, Yes, concrete can be affected by heat.  I still have some damage to my back porch area due to a grill fire.  And yes, while steel will not likely melt in a typical fire, a lot of fires will get hot enough to cause the steel to lose its strength and fail (steels typically lose around half their strength at around half their melting point).   =)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2023, 04:37:06 PM »
Jokes aside, Yes, concrete can be affected by heat.  I still have some damage to my back porch area due to a grill fire.  And yes, while steel will not likely melt in a typical fire, a lot of fires will get hot enough to cause the steel to lose its strength and fail (steels typically lose around half their strength at around half their melting point).   =)

Try telling that to the clowns that insist that the Twin Towers were brought down with explosives planted by government goons.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2023, 08:08:05 PM »
Try telling that to the clowns that insist that the Twin Towers were brought down with explosives planted by government goons.
I am sure that explosives certainly could destroy concrete and steel.  But I don't think it would be required.

Now I am curious which parts of this overpass were actually affected by the fire.  Sounds like quite a bit.  A lot of the overpasses I see down here have concrete support sections underneath the road.  I would have thought a fire on top would not affect them so much.  I guess there could be fire underneath.  Not sure how this road was designed.