Author Topic: Section of I-95 has collapsed in Philly  (Read 881 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Section of I-95 has collapsed in Philly
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2023, 10:58:38 PM »
Yeah, but that building is so hideously fugly it deserves to be burned. (as long as nobody gets hurt).

If you think that is bad, you should see Faner Hall at Southern IL-ANNOY University - Carbondale.  It's about 900 feet long, 2 stories, bare concrete, and NO hallway that goes from one end to the other.  You start at one end and, about 1/3 of the length, have to go outside and down about 100' and enter another hallway to get the rest of the length.
We called it the "Concrete Zeppelin".
  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2023, 07:28:48 AM »
My friend John is a forestry professor at SIU Carbondale.

The first time I was out visiting he was showing me around campus and showed me Faner Hall... and had some less that complimentary things to say about it. I had to agree with him. :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2023, 10:06:36 AM »
From MechAg94 “Now I am curious which parts of this overpass were actually affected by the fire.  Sounds like quite a bit.  A lot of the overpasses I see down here have concrete support sections underneath the road.  I would have thought a fire on top would not affect them so much.  I guess there could be fire underneath.  Not sure how this road was designed.”

The tanker was under the overpass when it caught fire.
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2023, 10:49:14 AM »
Very similar thing happened a few years ago outside of Harrisburg, Pa., and about 20-25 years ago (or more) down here in DC on the Beltway.

Big traffic issues until the overpasses were repaired.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.