Author Topic: Biden Admin Proposing New Rule that Would Effectively Ban Gas Generators  (Read 2573 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Son1 had to take his gas generator over to a neighbor's house to help them through a recent power failure. It just so happened the power was out nearby, bur not in Son1's house. It would hae been "awkward" with solar or other fuel-powered equipment like propane or natural gas. 

Neighbor will buy his own gas "genny."  Hm.... "shotty."  Or "rifey."  Or "pistolly." Or "housiley."  Or rhis "postily."

:rofl:

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
I suspect that many of the people who have the "solar generators" that are being heavily advertised are also the people who could benefit most from real generators. Except that those also require maintenance.

The only way to really do solar electric is an array that is at least semi-permanent. And people don't want to do that.

Now, it would be pretty nice if there were tax breaks, etc., for PASSIVE solar heating, etc., but that isn't a sexy project...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
About the only use I'd have for a solar generator is to run my pellet stove and maybe a lamp in winter.

Other than that, pretty useless.

One thing I have seen, though, is that with the rise of hybrid and electric cars is that more people are figuring out ways to run at least part of their homes off their car.

I first read about that during one of those huge ice storms in New England some years ago. A guy had a Prius or similar hybrid and ran his house for over a week off his car.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
About the only use I'd have for a solar generator is to run my pellet stove and maybe a lamp in winter.

Other than that, pretty useless.

As I mentioned above, the newer ones actually are useful, and can give a gas genny a run, but with both the the generator and the solar panels needed, you are at like 3X the cost. For one of the battery generators without solar panels (i.e., plug them into AC to stay charged), the good ones seem to be about 2X the cost of an equivalent gas generator.

I'm no hippie, but if the price came down, I could see some good uses for one of these that I could tie into the house power with a lockout switch, the same as how my gas genny is set up now. In fact I think companies like Generac sell similar giant battery arrays that tie into their whole house generators, so you run on the batteries until they get low, then the whole house generator only kicks in to power the house while it's also recharging the batteries. Slick unit, but again, expensive.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Slight tangent, but they are after water heaters now. I recall looking into the "heat pump water heaters" but I thought they were not yet very efficient (especially in colder climates) while being pretty expensive.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-admin-cracks-down-another-popular-home-appliance

They certainly are on a ban-happy roll though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
They're not coming for your

Guns
Gas car
Gas and wood burning stove
Gas and wood burning furnaces
Gas generator
Dishwasher
Gas hot water heater

They're just going to regulate them out of existence
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I posted about the generators on my FB page yesterday.

Complete and total crickets from my friends list. *expletive deleted*ing sheep.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Calumus

• friend
Now that I have a tractor I’m seriously considering a used PTO generator like Charby recommended a while back that could drive my whole house with capacity to spare.

If you can find one, grab it. My grandparent’s farm got hit in the big Ontario/Quebec ice storm back in 98. They had no power for three weeks; but my grandfather had bought a pto generator on a whim that summer. His tractor ran for 3 weeks steady, only got shut down twice for oil changes. For a couple hours in the morning and late afternoon it would run the barn, then get switched back to the house. They ran extension cords for the bulk tank agitator and cooler so it could run all the time.

Without it they would’ve likely lost the whole herd, there wasn’t a regular generator available within 1000 miles.

dogmush

• friend
Let's not forget, the "problem" the .gov is solving here is not even the climate crisis.  It's that there are too many people too stupid not to run a generator in the house.

This is a self correcting problem, and I have little sympathy for the idea that we should nerf out of existence useful tools that many, many people use to make their life better because some small percentage of the population has thus far escaped Darwin.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Let's not forget, the "problem" the .gov is solving here is not even the climate crisis.  It's that there are too many people too stupid not to run a generator in the house.

This is a self correcting problem, and I have little sympathy for the idea that we should nerf out of existence useful tools that many, many people use to make their life better because some small percentage of the population has thus far escaped Darwin.

Darwin should be allowed to collect his due without penalizing the rest of us.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend

Gotcha.  Gun analogy.  Very good.

Are you guys heading toward my Valentine's Day Massacre / Billy the Kid / Darwinism theory?

It's so obvious with alternative power systems.

Terry

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
I see the dilemma Biteme and his ilk are facing. Independent and self-sufficient people - people who would most likely stand up to tyranny - aren't dying off fast enough from the carbon monoxide. They need such people to die off much quicker by starving or freezing or both so that these tyrants can achieve their goal without resistance. Look at everything these despots do and/or propose and their end is clear.

Apply some logic to this as well. When the power plants aren't generating and giving off CO2, the home generators simply fill the gap in CO2 emissions and the trees and grass are happy. As for the CO, well, as has been stated in so many words, Darwin awards are in plentiful supply these days.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends

As I usually put it
We should rip the warning labels off everything and let Darwin do his job.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
As I usually put it
We should rip the warning labels off everything and let Darwin do his job.

I'm all for that as well.  :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

JTHunter

• friends
I suspect that many of the people who have the "solar generators" that are being heavily advertised are also the people who could benefit most from real generators. Except that those also require maintenance.

Last year, I only tested my generator for about 15 minutes.  Didn't need it all last year ('22) but did use it for a couple of days in '21.  As a result of such light usage, I didn't change the oil (0.6qt) until this spring.  I had to find the manual so I could find out HOW though and that took about 20 minutes of looking in 3-4 places.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JTHunter

• friends
I see the dilemma Biteme and his ilk are facing. Independent and self-sufficient people - people who would most likely stand up to tyranny - aren't dying off fast enough from the carbon monoxide. They need such people to die off much quicker by starving or freezing or both so that these tyrants can achieve their goal without resistance. Look at everything these despots do and/or propose and their end is clear.
Woody

Why do you think they were trying "germ warfare" with their ChiCom allies???  After all, the ChiComs need to do some "ethnic cleansing" of their own with the Uihgars (sp.?).  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
This will give you a bit of an idea about the whole "generator" or "whole house powerwall" thing.

https://jag35.com/
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend

Guns
Gas car
Gas generator
Dishwasher
Gas hot water heater

I hope we aren't missing the whole strategic impact of these attacks.

It is to reduce the United States to a Third World type of country, not to "save the earth" or whatever other Noble Goals they offer as rationales.

Sounds paranoid, doesn't it?

Perhaps, but as time goes on, I seem to apply the "things are not what they seem" concept  to more and more behaviors of the Left Wing of our society.

Disruption and destruction seems to be the overall goal.

Seems to fit the facts better and better as time goes on.

Paranoia?

Of course.  How better to marginalize such thinking than to label it as paranoid?

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"Sounds paranoid, doesn't it?"

And my repeated claims that's is nothing more than a ploy to increase the death toll of "undesirable" individuals as a means of reducing the global warming footprint... isn't?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
"Sounds paranoid, doesn't it?"

And my repeated claims that's is nothing more than a ploy to increase the death toll of "undesirable" individuals as a means of reducing the global warming footprint... isn't?

And for the other side of the curve, how about my "repeated claims that constant warring is nothing more than a ploy to increase the death toll of "desirable" individuals as a means of reducing the masculinity / "go getter" footprint.?

Also paranoia.  "Things are not what they seem."

Squooshing the sigmas:

Terry "Eternal Vigilance," 230RN

WLJ

• friends
Re: Biden Admin Proposing New Rule that Would Effectively Ban Gas Generators
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2023, 10:35:07 AM »

Guns
Gas car
Gas generator
Dishwasher
Gas hot water heater

Add Ice Cream Trucks to the list

Bid to stop NYC ice cream trucks from using fuel gets chilly reception: 'Can't operate under these conditions'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/bid-stop-nyc-ice-cream-trucks-using-fuel-gets-chilly-reception-cant-operate-conditions
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2023, 07:18:44 PM »

Guns
Gas car
Gas generator
Dishwasher
Gas hot water heater

Add Ice Cream Trucks to the list

Bid to stop NYC ice cream trucks from using fuel gets chilly reception: 'Can't operate under these conditions'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/bid-stop-nyc-ice-cream-trucks-using-fuel-gets-chilly-reception-cant-operate-conditions

Add ceiling fans

Biden admin's latest home appliance crackdown: ceiling fans
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/biden-admins-latest-home-appliance-crackdown-ceiling-fans
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2023, 09:17:07 PM »
Add ceiling fans

Biden admin's latest home appliance crackdown: ceiling fans
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/biden-admins-latest-home-appliance-crackdown-ceiling-fans

How do you think the DoE would handle my elderly neighbor?  This 95y.o. has her inner front door open with only the storm door shut (she likes to sit inside and look out the door), all while running her AC in this ridiculous heat.  She also has had one of her front "picture window" panels open, a hole about 18" square because her cats like the "fresh air".  :facepalm:

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2023, 10:01:15 PM »
I'd say more power to her.  At 95, she's entitled to some enjoyment - even if it pisses some people off.

On the other hand, this admin would most likely have her arrested on some bogus ecological charge.