Author Topic: Will Californians dress up as Indians...  (Read 4758 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Will Californians dress up as Indians...
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »
...and dump their vending machines into the Pacific?

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/politics/Assembly-Committee-Considers-Soda-Tax-120659754.html?dr

"To fight childhood obesity."   [barf]

A penny per ounce tax.

They already tax beer, liquor, wine, smokes... now soda?  They've got the vice-goods of adults, now they're going after juvenile vices.  I expect to see taxes on delivered pizza next, followed by potato chips.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Will Californians dress up as Indians...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:03:59 PM »
Damn commies...

Sheeit, we've probably got members here who think it's a good idea...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »
Ok. I drink quite a lot of soda and other sweetened beverages. Yet, I cannot for the life of me even begin to  imagine the amounts that must be necessary to make KIDS overweight. I mean, most kids burn energy like crazy, right? ???
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »
dump their vending machines into the Pacific?

Oh, no - think of the fish  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »
Ok. I drink quite a lot of soda and other sweetened beverages. Yet, I cannot for the life of me even begin to  imagine the amounts that must be necessary to make KIDS overweight. I mean, most kids burn energy like crazy, right? ???

/cranky old man
Well I use to, but that's because I was hiking up and down ravines with a 410 all day long!

Now a days, how much energy does it take to play an xbox?

//cranky old man

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:14:38 PM »

Well, setting aside the fact that the government is concerned far more about control and tax revenue than actually helping kids...

A lot of kids in the US today don't play outside. Time for recess has been drastically reduced or eliminated (indeed, the government itself says that traditional recess activities such as swings, dodgeball, jungle gyms and the like are too dangerous). We had 25 minutes for recess when I was in elementary school (and about 10 minutes of that was taken up with lining up and walking out to the playground as a class and back in). No recess in middle school (although we did have PE class a couple of times a week).

Then when kids get out of school, they go home and often wind up playing video games or getting on Facebook instead of going outside. Parents who will buy their kids anything even buy their kids big bags of candy and sodas all the time, too.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 04:42:01 PM »
"To fight childhood obesity."

Bull pucky!!!  They are using it as an excuse to institute another tax.  They are a junky in need of a tax fix.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
Well, setting aside the fact that the government is concerned far more about control and tax revenue than actually helping kids...

A lot of kids in the US today don't play outside. Time for recess has been drastically reduced or eliminated (indeed, the government itself says that traditional recess activities such as swings, dodgeball, jungle gyms and the like are too dangerous). We had 25 minutes for recess when I was in elementary school (and about 10 minutes of that was taken up with lining up and walking out to the playground as a class and back in). No recess in middle school (although we did have PE class a couple of times a week).

Then when kids get out of school, they go home and often wind up playing video games or getting on Facebook instead of going outside. Parents who will buy their kids anything even buy their kids big bags of candy and sodas all the time, too.

Guess it's not that bad here (yet). A less litigious society probably helps, what with not considering sand or wood chippings unsuitable to land on if you fall/jump off a swing, jungle gyms still around in playgrounds last I saw, and atleast when I left school (7 years ago), we had atleast one hour of PE per week, and AFAIK, with recesses, they still have them and just let the kids run out as they please. One of my classmates is a teacher (PE actually, but she's certed in other subjects as well), I should ask her.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »

Heheh, the amount of sugar kids intake these days, after a while, their insulin just can't keep up.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 08:09:41 PM »
Guess it's not that bad here (yet). A less litigious society probably helps, what with not considering sand or wood chippings unsuitable to land on if you fall/jump off a swing, jungle gyms still around in playgrounds last I saw, and atleast when I left school (7 years ago), we had atleast one hour of PE per week, and AFAIK, with recesses, they still have them and just let the kids run out as they please. One of my classmates is a teacher (PE actually, but she's certed in other subjects as well), I should ask her.

And we muddle along in the delusion that we're free.

Jeeze, I hope they don't tax club soda!  My burping might offend someone, after all.

Time wuz when reduction of taxes was used as an incentive --now increases in taxes are used as a bludgeon.

Tery, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »
A less litigious society probably helps, what with not considering sand or wood chippings unsuitable to land on if you fall/jump off a swing,

Sand? Woodchips? Pshaw, when I was a kid, we had GRAVEL, and we LIKED IT! (It was much more handy for throwing at other kids than sand or woodchips).

jungle gyms still around in playgrounds last I saw, and atleast when I left school (7 years ago)

Sometime around 2000 or 2001'ish, a teacher sued the schools to remove all of the see-saws because he was dumb enough to get his arm busted while screwing around on one. Unfortunately, he won.  :'(  Luckily, I was already in high school, so it didn't really effect me, but it was kind of sad.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 09:51:05 PM »
Sand? Woodchips? Pshaw, when I was a kid, we had GRAVEL, and we LIKED IT! (It was much more handy for throwing at other kids than sand or woodchips).

We just had the dirt ground.  Good old Indiana soil.  2 inches of compressed black dirt over hard clay base.   Absolutely no give or cushioning upon impact....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 11:21:27 PM »
I'm all for this happening in CA. The more absurd taxes they need to institute in a futile attempt to tread water as a legislative body, the faster they'll go under the waves for good. And yes, I know we have folks on here from CA - but they're not morons, and will get along just fine. ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »
I'm all for this happening in CA. The more absurd taxes they need to institute in a futile attempt to tread water as a legislative body, the faster they'll go under the waves for good. And yes, I know we have folks on here from CA - but they're not morons, and will get along just fine. ;)
The problem is as people flee Kalifornia, wherever they settle they register to vote and cast their ballots for candidates JUST LIKE the ones that are driving Kalifornia into the ground.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 09:18:32 AM »
The problem is as some people flee Kalifornia, wherever they settle they register to vote and cast their ballots for candidates JUST LIKE the ones that are driving Kalifornia into the ground.  :facepalm:

FTFY. :)

One of the problems with CA is that people that would vote against this crap have given up and left, and people who vote for it have more than taken their place, either via immigration from the South, or Utopian knuckleheads from other states.

I used to be mad at the former for giving up and doing the "cut and run" thing, but nowadays it looks more and more like I'll be one of them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."