Author Topic: Will this matter out there?  (Read 1644 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Will this matter out there?
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »
Will voters care? One way or the other?
Oregon governors fiancée did a green card marriage for cash
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/10/oregons-first-lady-admits-to-secret-past-a-green-card-marriage-to-ethiopian-teen/?tid=sm_fb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Will this matter out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »
I have read about this in the Seattle and Portland papers. She has also been accused of trading off her relationship with the Governor to benefit her consulting business.  Governor Kitzhaber seems to be pretty well liked in Oregon, so this probably won't hurt him too much.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:20:12 AM »
I suspected as much. I am curious how she got away with it. I know several folks who married folks from other countries and the investigations were a real pain in the ass.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:35:41 AM »
I can't decide whether the newspaper article was a whitewash or merely "sympathetic."  

Her comment that it was wrong then and it is wrong now and that she was there to accept the consequences, and referring to the fact that some of them will be life-changing, was exactly approriate for someone caught with the cookie crumbs on their face.

Makes it sound to me that she's quite adept at adapting to circumstances... as apparently demonstrated by her past (koff-koff-ahem-'scuse me).  Not much difference between a streetwalker claiming that she's doing things to support her baby, and her doing things for a laptop and tuition or whatever (koff-koff-ahem-'scuse me).

I'd be inclined to consider most of her past as water under the bridge except for the apparent illegal "green card" act.  

And my understanding is that the so-called statute of limitations begins to run at the discovery of a crime, not the commission of a crime.  I could be wrong there, though.

But I guess a lot of whether prosecution is in the offing depends on the attitude of the Justice Department.  And that depends on whether they figure there's enough "hard evidence" to go to trial with, even though she 'fessed up to the supposed wrongdoing.

Political consequences for the Gubernatorial race?  Heck, I don't know.  I suppose it depends on the attitude of the Big Media, whether "common law marriage" could be invoked, with her acting as First Lady, and a whole bunch of other things.  With the discovery made so close to the election, I don't think too much will be done, legally, in the time involved, especially with the accusation of using her relationship to further her own business.  It'll take some digging to bring that from suspicion to proof.

Just off the top of my shiny bald head.

Terry

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:49:27 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:36:41 AM »
Will voters care? One way or the other?
Oregon governors fiancée did a green card marriage for cash
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/10/oregons-first-lady-admits-to-secret-past-a-green-card-marriage-to-ethiopian-teen/?tid=sm_fb

Does the Gov. have a "D" or an "R" after his name.   If "R" he will be hounded relentlessly.  I'm guessing "D".

BTW, is she a "first lady" if she's also a "fiancee", ie., not married yet?

Ah, OK, I read further on down:

Years later, Hayes became one of the first live-in partners of an Oregon governor. Kitzhaber calls her the state’s first lady.

<sigh>
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »
And my understanding is that the so-called statute of limitations begins to run at the discovery of a crime, not the commission of a crime.  I could be wrong there, though.

IIRC, it's dependent on when it reasonably should have been discovered.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
He is a D.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 01:26:41 PM »
Makes it sound to me that she's quite adept at adapting to circumstances... as apparently demonstrated by her past (koff-koff-ahem-'scuse me).  Not much difference between a streetwalker claiming that she's doing things to support her baby, and her doing things for a laptop and tuition or whatever (koff-koff-ahem-'scuse me).

Or, really, a woman of low morals who puts out so the guy will keep buying her dinner and taking her to the movies.

Frankly, there are a lot of people getting married for less defensible reasons than a green card who don't face penalties.  I just can't get too worked up over something that minor nearly two decades in the past.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »
He is a D.

And a Democrat as well. 
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »
He is a D.

In that case, she's an immigrants' rights and marriage equality activist. Her next stop? The Senate!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »
KD5NRH said,
Quote from 230RN:
"Makes it sound to me that she's quite adept at adapting to circumstances... as apparently demonstrated by her past (koff-koff-ahem-'scuse me).  Not much difference between a streetwalker claiming that she's doing things to support her baby, and her doing things for a laptop and tuition or whatever (koff-koff-ahem-'scuse me)."

Or, really, a woman of low morals who puts out so the guy will keep buying her dinner and taking her to the movies.

Don't read into it what I was trying hard not to actually say. :D

KD5NRH again,
Frankly, there are a lot of people getting married for less defensible reasons than a green card who don't face penalties.  I just can't get too worked up over something that minor nearly two decades in the past.

Actually, I sort of agree with that:

I'd be inclined to consider most of her past as water under the bridge except for the apparent illegal "green card" act.

It's really hard to prove motivation, except in this case, she admitted it.  Presumably, the investigation at the time ("pain in the ass," according to cassandra and sara's daddy) would have uncovered the motivations and didn't.

Unless I missed it, she and the green card college kid haven't been divorced yet, and according to her, they never even lived together, which lends weight to the notion that it was out-and-out fraud.

While marriages of convenience for other reasons happen a lot, from what I can gather, doing it purely as a green card marriage is actually illegal. 

I also wonder if this makes the college kid eligible for deportation if it goes that far?

I don't really have an answer to cassandra and sara's daddy's original question, just turning it over in my head.

Terry
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:01:53 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 09:26:33 PM »
I suspected as much. I am curious how she got away with it. I know several folks who married folks from other countries and the investigations were a real pain in the ass.

I know a guy who married a Venezuelan lady after working down there a lot.  He was back in the states for a few years and was still getting hounded by immigration.  They were both pissed about it as illegals got a lot less flak in their opinion.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
Yea they do hound you. Was not always a good career move in the military to marry a foreign national either

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 11:40:53 PM »
If his damn-near criminal lack of oversight over the implementation of Cover Oregon isn't enough to sink Kitzhaber (the rat bastard's even running ads bragging about it!), this sure as hell won't.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth