Poll

Do you think Obama will sign a blank pardon for Clinton if Trump wins?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Will Obama grant Clinton a blank pardon if Trump wins?  (Read 8040 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Will Obama grant Clinton a blank pardon if Trump wins?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 10:47:47 PM »
IMO, the corruption has gone way to far for nice or magnanimous gestures.  An example needs to be made of some of these people as a warning to the others as well as future politicians.  I would like to see a whole bunch of voter fraud and election law violations prosecuted also.  

I agree with bluestarlizzard that he should avoid prosecuting Obama.  The people who work for him are another matter.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 12:37:07 AM »
Depends on how deep in the cesspool Obama has dipped. If there is a bunch of stink that can be hung on his legacy we may see broad pardons for any and all that could tie him to corruption.
What Obama does will be the tell.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 12:46:18 AM »
I guess I would start by asking who is going to respect Trump for pardoning Clinton?  His supporters?  The media?  The establishment?  Democrats?

IMO, no not a smart move.  Democrats will still hate Trump and Republicans.  It will gain nothing with the opposition and piss off a great many of his supporters.  He didn't get where he was by playing nice with those who oppose him.  I don't think it would be smart to change hit spots now.  I hate to say it, but that really sounds like something W. Bush would do.  He made nice gestures to Democrats a lot.  He never got anything in return and just looked weak while the same Democrats talked trash about him in the media.  

No pardon whatsoever.  Prosecute her and her family and associates.  Commuting their sentence could be done afterward, but I wouldn't advise it myself.  

fair enough. I stand corrected
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 12:51:26 AM »
Oh, I've got no issue with going after Obama based on criminal acts reveled by an investigation into Hilary. I was simply saying that reopening the whole birth certificate thing all by itself would be stupid.
If the investigation into Hilary leads to findings of criminal acts on the part of other, up to and including Obama, then by all means, prosecute.
I'm only opposed to going after Obama solely based on no more evidence than a media scandal that is no longer relevant.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
Depends on how deep in the cesspool Obama has dipped. If there is a bunch of stink that can be hung on his legacy we may see broad pardons for any and all that could tie him to corruption.
What Obama does will be the tell.

Not really. Obama likes to gratuitously anger/annoy/alienate the Right. IOW, he a instigator. He would pardon his criminal cronies, just for the lulz.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 12:59:02 AM »
Making her a martyr and firing up the D's is bad strategy.   Being magnanimous will actually go a long way to keeping the D's in check while doing the important work that needs to get done.

Did no one google Burdick vs United States?

Burdick v. United States, 236 U.S. 79 (1915),[1] was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that:

A pardoned person must introduce the pardon into court proceedings, otherwise the pardon must be disregarded by the court.
    To do this, the pardoned person must accept the pardon. If a pardon is rejected, it cannot be forced upon its subject.
    A pardon carries an "imputation of guilt", and accepting a pardon is "an admission of guilt".

A pardon is an act of grace, proceeding from the power intrusted with the execution of the laws, which exempts the individual on whom it is bestowed from the punishment the law inflicts for a crime he has committed. It is the private though official act of the executive magistrate, delivered to the individual for whose benefit it is intended. A private deed, not communicated to him, whatever may be its character, whether a pardon or release, is totally unknown and cannot be acted on.

Bolding mine.  A pardon would drive a stake through Hillary's heart.  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2016, 01:57:09 AM »
A pardon would drive a stake through Hillary's heart.  

She doesn't have a heart to drive the stake through.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 03:27:24 AM »
Something I've never understood is why the president has that power.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 04:13:42 AM »

From the king mate - it's one of the royal prerogatives
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 06:59:10 AM »

Checks and Balances.  Congress overrides a presidents veto and passes a bad law.   Courts prosecute under said bad law.  President can pardon those convicted.

Doesn't anyone teach or learn civics anymore?

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 07:07:44 AM »
Checks and Balances.  Congress overrides a presidents veto and passes a bad law.   Courts prosecute under said bad law.  President can pardon those convicted.

Doesn't anyone teach or learn civics anymore?

Courts don't prosecute.  The president (or his executive delegate) does.

The pardon is a royal hangover
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 07:23:45 AM »
Courts don't prosecute.  The president (or his executive delegate) does.

The pardon is a royal hangover

He appoints (some Federal and not state) prosecutors.  And it's considered undue influence for the President to decide which cases get prosecuted, IIRC, there's something about faithfully discharging the laws or some such.  Lower levels decide what gets prosecuted.  (Google Saturday Night Massacre, for details).

Yes, it's part royal leftover, but more brilliance of the Founding Fathers and their studies of history, to give the president a check on the other two branches.   

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 09:22:46 AM »
Trump could pardon her for violating the Espionage Act with her email server.  It would seem magnanimous.  (accepting the pardon would imply guilt, and be the end of her political career)  Also revoke any clearances she has, just in case. 

The foundation is a separate matter; let that investigation go where it may.

If he did anything like that, seems like he'd have to also pull an Obama and revisit a bunch of previous prosecutions, from Cartwright on down. Otherwise it looks like he's doing the same "protecting the elite" thing that already happened with Clinton. Getting her off while others sit in Leavenworth for less might fly with the punk ass kids protesting and whining right now, but it won't make them stop protesting and whining, and it will anger his base.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »
If he did anything like that, seems like he'd have to also pull an Obama and revisit a bunch of previous prosecutions, from Cartwright on down. Otherwise it looks like he's doing the same "protecting the elite" thing that already happened with Clinton. Getting her off while others sit in Leavenworth for less might fly with the punk ass kids protesting and whining right now, but it won't make them stop protesting and whining, and it will anger his base.
I think most of his supporters would see it as a betrayal. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »
Making her a martyr and firing up the D's is bad strategy.   Being magnanimous will actually go a long way to keeping the D's in check while doing the important work that needs to get done.

I would have to disagree with the martyr concern.  Most democrats know she is a crook.  She was uninspiring as a candidate.  I don't see how she would ever become a martyr.  I think I see a much greater chance of Obama being seen that way by some people than Clinton.  That is the main reason I would advise leaving him alone unless something major is uncovered.   

1.  Stepping back, what more would Democrats do in the name of a martyr that they are not already doing?  Riot in the streets?  Illegal voting?  The democrats who might see her that way are already dead set against Republicans, Trump, and anything associated with them.  The rednecks with guns are generally Trump supporters. 

2.  I think the Democrats in the media and Congress are going to oppose anything Trump does whether Hillary is around or not.  Nothing changes. 

3.  The process to prosecute Hillary is something that would take months/years.  If President Trump appoints a special prosecutor, he can go about his business and let that person lead the fight.  

4.  Trump's supporters expect him to prosecute criminals in D.C. and clean up out the corruption.  They expect Hillary to be prosecuted.  Pardoning known criminals is the path to failure.  He already made the comment about seeing her in jail in the debate. 

As a side note, I think people get too caught up with martyr concerns in general.  It seems to come up all the time with killing terrorists and stuff.  I think it is usually not near as big a concern as people make it out to be.  It always seemed to be used as an excuse to do nothing.  I never liked it. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:05:44 AM by MechAg94 »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »

Then the entertaining question becomes, with the admission of guilt upon accepting a pardon, would the Fifth Amendment ever apply to that person in regard to the crime pardoned?  i.e. couldn't they then be compelled to testify against others, since it can't really incriminate them anymore, and refusal to testify would be a separate offense not covered by the pardon?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »
Then the entertaining question becomes, with the admission of guilt upon accepting a pardon, would the Fifth Amendment ever apply to that person in regard to the crime pardoned?  i.e. couldn't they then be compelled to testify against others, since it can't really incriminate them anymore, and refusal to testify would be a separate offense not covered by the pardon?

Ooooh....  I like the way you think....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »

Did no one google Burdick vs United States?

Bolding mine.  A pardon would drive a stake through Hillary's heart.  

So which is worse? A firing up the Dem's or maintaining the status quo of different standards for the rich and powerful that has everyone else upset and distrustful of their own government?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
It's not maintaining the status quo or giving cover or approval to her actions.  Look, I think she should be buried under Leavenworth.  However, giving the left someone to rally around (to avenge) will do more damage than what putting her in shackles and a orange jumpsuit (however glorious that vision is). 

Because the thing is, more and more about what she's done and her actual guilt will continue to come out, especially after she's pardoned. The media will want to break those stories without fear of giving the prosecution ammo for a trial.   

It time to put country first and do what is needed to turn things around.  Getting the Trump Agenda and appointments (especially USSC) passed and through Congress will require just about all the political capital he can muster.   Prosecuting Clinton would be a YUUUGGGEEE distraction.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2016, 08:40:47 AM »
It's not maintaining the status quo or giving cover or approval to her actions.  Look, I think she should be buried under Leavenworth.  However, giving the left someone to rally around (to avenge) will do more damage than what putting her in shackles and a orange jumpsuit (however glorious that vision is). 

Because the thing is, more and more about what she's done and her actual guilt will continue to come out, especially after she's pardoned. The media will want to break those stories without fear of giving the prosecution ammo for a trial.   

It time to put country first and do what is needed to turn things around.  Getting the Trump Agenda and appointments (especially USSC) passed and through Congress will require just about all the political capital he can muster.   Prosecuting Clinton would be a YUUUGGGEEE distraction.

Hell no, she can serve her time here but we don't want her around here forever.

I now work in this town.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

JN01

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »

If the full scope of the crimes committed by Clinton and her minions are uncovered, yet no one is held accountable, it will be another serious blow to any hope of justice in this country.  Corruption always has and always will be with us, but when they can blatantly thumb their noses at those they are supposed to be serving, we are no better than a banana republic.  The BATFE, IRS, FBI, Justice Department must be cleaned up, or anarchy (or totalitarian subjugation) are just around the corner.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2016, 11:30:19 AM »
 If he does pardon her he'll be linked w/ Clinton and her crimes for ever more, where as if he doesn't, Obama leaves the Republicans w/ a Tar Baby ... a huge distraction that Trump's base wants to see prosecuted but the other half the country doesn't ... Along w/ the idea of no love lost between the Clintons and Obama I don't think he's gonna pardon her ...
  :old:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »

I think your fears of a martyr are overblown.  So far overblown that I am having a hard time even imagining why you would fear such a thing.  The simple fact is that fears of creating a martyr should not stand in the way of Justice. 

The media should have wanted to break any number of stories about Clinton over the years.  They didn't.  Depending on the media to enact Justice is a losing proposition. 

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2016, 06:15:18 PM »
I think your fears of a martyr are overblown.  So far overblown that I am having a hard time even imagining why you would fear such a thing.  The simple fact is that fears of creating a martyr should not stand in the way of Justice. 

The media should have wanted to break any number of stories about Clinton over the years.  They didn't.  Depending on the media to enact Justice is a losing proposition. 

Hillary will suddenly fall very ill.  The prosecution will be seen a political act and not a criminal/justice being served act.   "Big, Bad, Mean Donald is picking on poor Hillary, isn't it enough that he won the election, now he wants to put his political opponents in jail." 

I think the FBI should go after the Clinton Family Crime Fund.  And nail to the wall whoever was involved. 

But right now the D's are in disarray, that won't last for ever.  There is no D leader (Schumer?  Pelosi?  Obama is about done, all he wants to do is play golf now.)  Putting Hillary on trial (as glorious as that sounds), especially once all her "infirmaries" come out will give the left an even boost to fundraising and a figure to rally behind.  "Avenge Hillary !!!"

A Pardon gets her to admit guilt and ends her ability to attract fundraising and giving the D's a central figure to rally around.   

Accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt.  Unless you want her trial to still be pending (and it will be drug out for as long a possible) both through the 2018 mid-terms and into 2020.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2016, 06:25:05 PM »
Hillary will suddenly fall very ill.

Affirming that she wasn't physically capable of being President, and knew it all along.