Author Topic: G2R 9mm RIP ammo  (Read 29118 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: G2R 9mm RIP ammo
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
Or a festering pile of brain-rotting hyperbole in search of someone already disenchanted with the performance of the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cqkT77LOgY  bolo bullet.

You know, you bring up a good point...but I would say that the people enamored with this G2 Rip probably love the bolo bullet too...we will probably see dumbasses staggering the G2 Rip and the bolo rounds in their mags.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
I saw someone on FB slagging this off, and I thought they must have been faking the claimed 16" of penetration. Good to see that it wasn't in actual ballistic gel, that makes more sense.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 01:04:23 PM »
I saw someone on FB slagging this off, and I thought they must have been faking the claimed 16" of penetration. Good to see that it wasn't in actual ballistic gel, that makes more sense.

Dr. Gary K. Roberts is going to test this stuff in actual ballistic gel under standard testing protocols.

Even in their chosen medium, however, it fails miserably. A small fragment exhibits penetration like they claim, but most of the projectile comes apart within the first 5 inches. I personally expect it to perform worse in real gel, but we shall see.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
If anyone has seen the movie Elysium, the one saving grace of the movie was he had a rifle with this futuristic air bursting ammo that was really cool.  Sort of like proximity detonators on artillery.  The ammo burst a few feet in front of the target and shredded it with shrapnel.  Very cool. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 03:49:52 PM »
Yawn. Wake me up when there's a version that's fissionable. 
Wakey, wakey . . .  ;)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XX2lIT1tQ
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:42 PM »
If anyone has seen the movie Elysium, the one saving grace of the movie was he had a rifle with this futuristic air bursting ammo that was really cool.  Sort of like proximity detonators on artillery.  The ammo burst a few feet in front of the target and shredded it with shrapnel.  Very cool. 

Would rifle ammo be able to generate significant fragmentation? There just isn't much metal in any individual round even before packing in explosive and a detonation mechanism.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 04:17:09 PM »
Wakey, wakey . . .  ;)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XX2lIT1tQ

I see the website at the beginning is named for one of our members, who just so happens to know a thing or two about nuclear things.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 05:43:20 PM »
Would rifle ammo be able to generate significant fragmentation? There just isn't much metal in any individual round even before packing in explosive and a detonation mechanism.
Probably not, but it looked cool in the movie.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »

No. Even the 20 and 25mm size rounds the army was playing around with as part of the OICW program Were too small to be truly effective.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »
Even in their chosen medium, however, it fails miserably. A small fragment exhibits penetration like they claim, but most of the projectile comes apart within the first 5 inches. I personally expect it to perform worse in real gel, but we shall see.

It is designed to come apart.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 08:20:06 PM »
It is designed to come apart.

Then it's designed to fail. It isnt penetrating deep enough to do the deed.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »
At 5 inches, if I was to get shot in the gut/chest then it doesn't exactly have much farther to go to come out my backside. Don't know how much more penetration you need after that.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 09:00:31 PM »
At 5 inches, if I was to get shot in the gut/chest then it doesn't exactly have much farther to go to come out my backside. Don't know how much more penetration you need after that.

That gel used in the video does not equate to human flesh and bone.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 09:18:39 PM »

Because 5" of their bullshit gel is nothing compared to a real body

This stuff is going to have a damn hard time of punching through a meatbag intent on killing you.

Looks impressive to the uninitiated in their "gel shot" and videos, it's going to be sorely lacking in real world terminal performance.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 09:32:06 PM »
Penetration in gel, particularly BS gel, doesn't translate inch for inch in actual flesh and bone.

Using standard testing, minimum desirable penetration is iirc either 12 or 13 inches. 5 inches isn't squat for practical defensive purposes. 
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 11:48:59 AM »
And remember the Miami shootout. Sometimes the bullet hits an outstretched arm first, and needs to be able to punch through that, then on through layers of fat muscle and bone, then through the vital organs.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »
And remember the Miami shootout. Sometimes the bullet hits an outstretched arm first, and needs to be able to punch through that, then on through layers of fat muscle and bone, then through the vital organs.

^^ This.

Attackers tend to have appendages that are outstretched towards you.

Gut shots don't STOP someone.  They'll kill him a few hours or days later after he's used that sledgehammer to maul your face into strawberry jam.

All this stuff just keeps reminding me why I favor heavy-for-caliber loads.  I prefer 127gr hollowpoints in my 9mm, 230gr hollowpoints in my .45, and 240gr semiwadcutters in my .44 (if I went anywhere with bigger critters than AZ has I would step up to 270's or 300's). 

Your magic bullet "may" have a one-shot-stop potential, maybe.  But I don't shoot once.  There's three bullets out in less than a second, on COM, before I have any chance to observe reaction of the threat to my response.  They're not in the same hole, but they're all within about 3" of each other and at least 9 ring quality, meaning they're gonna hit vitals if they aren't deflected by an outstretched humerus or hard object... At 97% likelihood of 1 shot stopping power of a typical quality hollowpoint and 3 consecutive hits, that culminates to:

97% on shot 1.
99.91% on shot 2.
99.9983% on shot 3.

Frangible BS that maims an outstretched arm rather than decimating rib bones, lungs and heart... puts your safety at risk.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 07:37:03 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 08:12:33 AM »
So when are they going to put it out in .45LC so I can put some in mah Judge?!?!?!?     :laugh:
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »
Did anyone mention this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8XcVc_0ykU
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 09:42:33 PM »
So when are they going to put it out in .45LC so I can put some in mah Judge?!?!?!?     :laugh:

I'm not interested until George Zimmerman endorses it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 06:20:18 AM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 09:13:13 AM »
They can claim that "RIP" is an acronym for "Radically Invasive Projectile," but we all know that the name was chosen because the acronym "RIP" has been around for a very long time, with a different meaning. This round is marketed squarely at the people who think it's a good idea to put Punisher grips on their self defense carry gun, and have bumper stickers that read, "Protected by Smith & Wesson."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGH7cDFw7c&feature=youtu.be
Looks impressive.
Also, what in the world is that carbine? at 2:30?

Also, love the Richard Machowicz/Don LaFontaine narrator.

That carbine is the TNW Aero Survival Rifle http://tnwfirearms.com/complete-guns/asr-aero-survival-rifle.html