Author Topic: It's getting sporty in Washington...  (Read 83141 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: It's getting sporty in Washington...
« Reply #1000 on: September 05, 2023, 07:35:21 PM »
What did Enrique Tarrio do (if anything)?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1001 on: September 05, 2023, 07:41:25 PM »
Wrongthink, and got popular.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #1002 on: September 06, 2023, 07:15:09 AM »
test
Not that I really expect to see a Republican president again, but if we do I hope it’s one with the stones to pardon those guys (or at least commute sentences).

Forget it.

I've been whining that "The Fix is in" for quite a number of years.  The Fix is no longer necessary, since we are now in a one-party political system from which there can be no recovery.

Virtually all aspects of changing, exercising, or controlling power are in the hands of one party now.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 07:40:30 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1003 on: September 06, 2023, 06:47:39 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1004 on: September 06, 2023, 07:07:34 PM »
Something to keep in mind is that there is no denying there were knuckleheads there that day who broke stuff and who you could say "rioted" to some extent or another. From what I have seen, they have, for the most part, been getting hefty fines and/or sentences in the 1-5 year range. There may be some who have gotten more, but this is what I've seen.

The two decade sentences are going to people that never entered the building or were not anywhere near the Capitol at all. Because of, as Dogmush alluded to, wrongthink.

I too, hope an R with balls gets in to commute or pardon most of these sentences. Or at least looks at fair retrials. Even better, additionally investigate the prosecutors and judges for their bias and for the jury trials all taking place in DC, with juries NOT of the defendants' peers. It'll never happen, but one can hope.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1005 on: September 06, 2023, 09:09:54 PM »
In contrast
When the DOJ is on your side

BLM protester with a long criminal history set fire to a pawn shop after looting it killing a father of 5. The DOJ pretty much defended the guy.

Here's what the government's sentencing memo to the judge stated.

Mr. Lee credibly states that he was in the streets to protest unlawful police violence against black men, and there is no basis to disbelieve this statement. Mr. Lee, appropriately, acknowledges that he "could have demonstrated in a different way," but that he was "caught up in the fury of the mob after living as a black man watching his peers suffer at the hands of police." As anyone watching the news world-wide knows, many other people in Minnesota were similarly caught up. There appear to have been many people in those days looking only to exploit the chaos and disorder in the interest of personal gain or random violence. There appear also to have been many people who felt angry, frustrated, and disenfranchised, and who were attempting, in many cases in an unacceptably reckless and dangerous manner, to give voice to those feelings. Mr. Lee appears to be squarely in this latter category. And even the great American advocate for non-violence and social justice, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., stated in an interview with CBS's Mike Wallace in 1966 that "we've got to see that a riot is the language of the unheard."

The Reason the DOJ Asked for Leniency for a BLM Protester Who Killed a Man Is Simply Unbelievable
https://redstate.com/bonchie/2023/09/07/the-reason-the-doj-asked-for-leniency-for-a-blm-protester-who-killed-a-man-is-simply-unbelievable-n2163510

He got 10 years and I have no doubt will probably be released early

'A riot is the language of the unheard'
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/a-riot-is-the-language-of-the-unheard

That was then. Now, of course, we are watching the same DOJ seek maximum sentences against defendants who took part in the riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Do prosecutors routinely seek reduced sentences by telling judges that the Jan. 6 rioters felt "frustrated" and "disenfranchised"? Do prosecutors concede that the rioters got out of hand but excuse their behavior by arguing they were just "caught up in the fury of the mob"? And do they quote King to justify the rioters' acts by contending that they really believed they were engaging in "the language of the unheard"?

The answer to every question, of course, is no. And that is the problem Cotton was getting at when he wrote to Garland. Cotton never mentioned Jan. 6, but he had one fundamental question: "Does the attorney general believe participation in a riot is a basis for leniency in sentencing individuals for violent crimes?"

It has been a year and a half since Cotton asked that question. Garland has not responded.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1006 on: September 10, 2023, 09:22:19 AM »
Comparing and contrasting prison sentences, I just saw on the news that the guy who, with pre-meditation, ran over and killed a kid for the crime of being "A Republican extremist" has just been handed his sentence. Five years.

Here's a liberal story on it:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/politics/article/a-north-dakota-man-was-sentenced-to-5-years-in-18356012.php
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1007 on: September 10, 2023, 09:26:35 AM »
Know some people who made Pelosi poop her depends - 22 years
Murder a kid because you don't like his politics - 5 years
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1008 on: September 11, 2023, 02:28:40 PM »
Think they'll get 22 years?

BREAKING: Activists are occupying @SpeakerMcCarthy’s office demanding a full 5 year reauthorization of PEPFAR, which some Rs are opposing. Background: https://t.co/nQVnCxPDE0 pic.twitter.com/wCZx4Z6wzu
    — Alice Miranda Ollstein (@AliceOllstein) September 11, 2023
Activists 'occupy' House Speaker's office ('is this an insurrection?')
https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/09/11/is-this-an-insurrection-protesters-occupy-house-speakers-office-n2387078

HIV protesters occupy House Speaker Kevin McCarthy's office: Seven arrested as activists get on their knees and chant
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12505407/HIV-protesters-House-Speaker-Kevin-McCarthy-office-Six-arrested-activists.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1009 on: September 11, 2023, 02:37:21 PM »
Oh, and in case you forgot J6 was much worse than 9/11

Twenty-two years ago this morning, a foreign terrorist murdered nearly 3,000 Americans. But he could not come close to ending or even hurting our democracy.

That attack arrived 19 years, three months and 26 days later, at the hands of an ersatz American.
    — S.V. Dáte (@svdate) September 11, 2023

Osama bin Biden, after all, had never taken an oath to protect and defend the Constitution and the United States.

Our 45th president had.

Ironically, the locus of his assault was the same building that was saved by the bravery of the passengers on United 93.
    — S.V. Dáte (@svdate) September 11, 2023

Note the slip there in the name

WORST 9/11 take of the day goes to HuffPo Sr WH journo for self-owning Freudian slip in hate-filled tweet
https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/09/11/date-huffpo-n2387074
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1010 on: September 21, 2023, 09:52:40 AM »
22 years

BREAKING: Ex Proud Boy and former FBI informant Enrique Tarrio, who was not in DC on January 6 after being arrested for burning a BLM banner, has been sentenced to 22 years in jail for January 6, the longest of any defendent
    — Greg Price (@greg_price11) September 5, 2023
https://twitchy.com/brettt/2023/09/05/ex-proud-boy-sentenced-to-22-years-in-prison-for-seditious-conspiracy-n2386883

Meanwhile

Under federal sentencing guidelines, Ray Epps will face between zero and six months in prison after pleading guilty to one count of disorderly conduct. https://t.co/3b8zWF8O9b
    — CBS News (@CBSNews) September 20, 2023
https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/09/21/ray-epps-sentencing-n2387534
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1011 on: September 21, 2023, 10:23:53 AM »
This is where we see if he is a fed asset or not. So far, most of the sentencing has been MORE than the prosecution has called for. A lot more. So if he is one of the 06JAN "insurrectionists", he should be getting at least five years in prison. If he's not a fed asset.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1012 on: September 21, 2023, 11:00:09 AM »
This is where we see if he is a fed asset or not. So far, most of the sentencing has been MORE than the prosecution has called for. A lot more. So if he is one of the 06JAN "insurrectionists", he should be getting at least five years in prison. If he's not a fed asset.

I would have said that question has been more than answered by the misdemeanor Disorderly Conduct charge, as opposed to the parade of felonies everyone else in the zip code got.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #1013 on: September 21, 2023, 12:02:33 PM »
It's not that uncommon for the people who didn't enter the building, assault anyone or break anything just plead out on a disorderly charge and get probation. Brandon Straka is a good example and pretty comparable to Epps. I guess Straka could be a fed too... [tinfoil]
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1014 on: September 21, 2023, 12:07:18 PM »
It's not that uncommon for the people who didn't enter the building, assault anyone or break anything just plead out on a disorderly charge and get probation. Brandon Straka is a good example and pretty comparable to Epps. I guess Straka could be a fed too... [tinfoil]

Enrique Tarrio wasn't even in DC and he got sentenced to 22 years.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #1015 on: September 21, 2023, 12:11:50 PM »
Enrique Tarrio wasn't even in DC and he got sentenced to 22 years.

That is true. Do you think Epps should be charged like Tarrio and not Straka?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1016 on: September 21, 2023, 12:30:18 PM »

Do you think Tarrio should be charged like Tarrio and not Straka?

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #1017 on: September 21, 2023, 12:33:56 PM »
Do you think Tarrio should be charged like Tarrio and not Straka?

No but I do think charging Epps like Straka makes sense and I think Straka's charges were appropriate.

Although - Tarrio actually was an informant so maybe charging Epps the same would prove he is a fed!  :rofl:

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1018 on: September 21, 2023, 02:44:51 PM »

No, absolutely not.  No one involved should have been charged like Tarrio.  I would be interested in more transparency on how the justice department decided who got reasonable charges for attending a riot, and who got reamed in the ass.

Ray Epps' charge is actually probably reasonable for a guy on camera urging people to escalate their criminal behavior.  It'll be interesting to see what he gets compared to Owen Shroyer as well.  I believe Shroyer caught a Felony for standing outside egging people on.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #1019 on: September 21, 2023, 03:18:46 PM »
No, absolutely not.  No one involved should have been charged like Tarrio.  I would be interested in more transparency on how the justice department decided who got reasonable charges for attending a riot, and who got reamed in the ass.
I agree
It'll be interesting to see what he gets compared to Owen Shroyer as well.  I believe Shroyer caught a Felony for standing outside egging people on.
Shoyer is also a repeat offender and broke the conditions of a previous deal by even being there - so I would expect a slightly harsher sentence for him.
In December 2019, Shroyer was arrested in Washington after he disrupted a House Judiciary Committee hearing for then-President Trump’s impeachment proceedings. He later agreed to stay away from Capitol grounds, a condition of a deal resolving that case.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1020 on: September 21, 2023, 03:39:44 PM »
Shoyer is also a repeat offender and broke the conditions of a previous deal by even being there - so I would expect a slightly harsher sentence for him.

Repeat offender only if you agree that standing outside the building and bitching about government is an "offense" which I'm not sure I'm willing to stipulate yet. But you are correct he has been run through this disorderly conduct dance once before.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1021 on: September 21, 2023, 03:48:20 PM »
Comparing and contrasting prison sentences, I just saw on the news that the guy who, with pre-meditation, ran over and killed a kid for the crime of being "A Republican extremist" has just been handed his sentence. Five years.

Here's a liberal story on it:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/politics/article/a-north-dakota-man-was-sentenced-to-5-years-in-18356012.php

I'm appalled at the disparity between sentences handed down when a vehicle is the tool of mayhem versus some other implement or none at all.

Murder is bad (life in jail), unless you do it in a car.  Then it's something we suggest not doing again (5 years).  And if you were drunk, maybe 8 years.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #1022 on: September 22, 2023, 08:55:12 AM »
+1000 what's newsworthy here is apparently they are going to be held somewhat accountable. Only because of the video of course.

It's amazing how safety-paranoid and litigious our society is, and how brash and indifferent it is whenever there is a car involved. Like two completely different reality maps are applied as soon as a car enters the discussion. Cars are truly the real religion of America. Years ago I would have said it's money. But considering how willing Americans are to destroy wealth on the altar of car worship, it's definitely car culture. There's no other product that's consistently killing 50k+/ year including thousands of children, disabling 2+million people per year, every year, costing the country 300+ billion dollars per year every single year, just in terms of wealth destroyed in crashes, with basically no opposition at all. Or even any standing understanding that anything should be done at all. As the main religion, it's a substrate that is simply not to be questioned.

If you pay attention to headlines it becomes even more obviously pathological. When someone gets run over around here, first of all it doesn't even make the local news it's so common. They just clean it up and unless you were there or saw it on social media you won't even know. But if it's particularly bad so that there's a headline, it will say something like "pedestrian struck by car hospitalized" or "an SUV collided with a motorcycle". There is never any agency. It's always a cosmic inevitability that we can do nothing about. Imagine if they said things like "man struck by bullet..." or "a gun shot a torso yesterday...". A couple weeks ago a guy in a challenger straight ran over a kid on a scooter IN A CROSSWALK. He just said "I didn't see them" and got a traffic citation.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1023 on: November 10, 2023, 07:27:50 AM »
They sent an army after this guy.

World News Tonight
@ABCWorldNews
An urgent manhunt is underway in the New Jersey town of Helmetta for a suspect in connection to the Jan. 6 Capitol attack. Gregory Yetman evaded arrest and fled into the woods near his home. @sramosABC
 has the latest from the scene. https://trib.al/Ejs7BVd

Video at https://twitter.com/ABCWorldNews/status/1722453959422419167?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

FBI offering $10,000 reward in search for man wanted in connection with Jan. 6 attack
https://abcnews.go.com/US/new-jersey-search-man-jan-6-attack/story?id=104731302
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1024 on: November 10, 2023, 08:46:54 AM »
They sent an army after this guy.

Holy hell. And they even talk in the video about how the guy had been interviewed by the MSM earlier this year. So he's been living his life, and now over two years later, they send a gajillion guys after him for "assault on a Federal officer", for which there doesn't seem to be any video. There's tons of video of antifa attacking cops. I haven't seen any videos of entire LE battalions being sent to arrest any of them (or the few that were in fact arrested).