Author Topic: Texas TEA  (Read 2689 times)

Hutch

• friend
Texas TEA
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »
It seems another Annointed One has been pulled down off the horse and dismembered by the Rabble.

Hurrah!

Cruz defeats Dewhurst in the Republican runnoff for the Senate seat being vacated by KB Hutchison.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Texas TEA
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »
Good for Cruz & the TEA Party....and a serious warning for the November elections in Texas. Perry & Co. have made a mess of the state budget and education funding while galavanting on their national campaigns. I think Austin will see a bunch of new faces in the next legislative session....and in November 2014.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »
There's a certain strain of GOP insiders that have a streak of entitlement in their nature - they figure they're entitled to positions of leadership, as if its their birthright; they behave like ancient Romans of the Patrician class.

Then they govern as RINOs, or perhaps like Democrat Lite.

This was the perception with Dewhurst, whose fiscal policies seemed more in line with the Dems than Repubs. (Aligning with Dems was why Perry's presidential bid tanked early on, though his Achilles' Heel was special treatment for illegal aliens.)

Cruz isn't perfect, but if we can keep ratcheting things in the right direction, a bit at a time, we should eventually see things improve.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »
Dewhurst waged a very very nasty mudslinging campaign.  He pretty much had talk radio airwaves blanketed with commercials accusing Cruz of everything from selling us out to the Chinese to being involved in the prison bribery scandal up in Pennsylvania.  Even if I hadn't already been leaning that way, I wouldn't have wanted to vote for Dewhurst.  Dewhurst spent a ton of money also.  I heard a chunk of it was his own.  

That said, I heard the turnout was one of the higher voter turnouts for a primary runoff election in some time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »
Has he a good chance of going to DC?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »

They way I have heard commentary, he's all but guaranteed. It is Texas after all.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 02:40:58 PM »

Dems have put another nobody against him, so Cruz is a done deal.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 02:42:10 PM »
Hurray for Texas!

We have a similar process going on in the North.
We have two strong conservatives, a rino-ish leaning conservative, and an unknown who talks a good game running for an open senate seat.

Of the first two, one  isn't well liked due to personal attacks on Walker during the Gubenatorial campaign 2 years ago (Neuman), the other doesn't have much money but has been a solid leader in the State Assembly with passing Walker's reforms (Fitzgerald).

There's a certain strain of GOP insiders that have a streak of entitlement in their nature - they figure they're entitled to positions of leadership, as if its their birthright; they behave like ancient Romans of the Patrician class.
^Pretty much fits the third candidate Tommy Thompson, who is really well liked in our state, but isn't exactly TEA party material.

The fourth (Eric Hovde) is an unknown with no political background but who talks a good game and models his campaign after how our current TEA party Senator ran.

The democrat running for the seat (Tammy Baldwin) is not very popular outside the People's Republic of Madison.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »
We get to pick somebody to oust Claire McCaskill, on Tues. Wish us luck!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 04:06:46 PM »
Hurray for Texas!

We have a similar process going on in the North.
We have two strong conservatives, a rino-ish leaning conservative, and an unknown who talks a good game running for an open senate seat.

Of the first two, one  isn't well liked due to personal attacks on Walker during the Gubenatorial campaign 2 years ago (Neuman), the other doesn't have much money but has been a solid leader in the State Assembly with passing Walker's reforms (Fitzgerald).
^Pretty much fits the third candidate Tommy Thompson, who is really well liked in our state, but isn't exactly TEA party material.

The fourth (Eric Hovde) is an unknown with no political background but who talks a good game and models his campaign after how our current TEA party Senator ran.

The democrat running for the seat (Tammy Baldwin) is not very popular outside the People's Republic of Madison.

If it means anything, DU generally wants anybody but Hovde on the R ticket, and they plan on crossing to vote for Thompson.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
If it means anything, DU generally wants anybody but Hovde on the R ticket, and they plan on crossing to vote for Thompson
Figures... I don't dislike Tommy, but right now he would be by far my last choice.

I'm planning on voting for Hovde, unless something really horrible about him comes out. Would be outstanding to send  another rino-establishment wrecking a-hole similar to Ron Johnson to the Senate.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 04:31:48 PM »
Word is that Ted Cruz served Chick-Fil-A at his victory party.  =D

Dems have put another nobody against him, so Cruz is a done deal.
They way I have heard commentary, he's all but guaranteed. It is Texas after all.  
When asked, Cruz said that as far as he was concerned, there were only two ways to campaign - unopposed, and as the underdog. Since he DOES have an opponent, he says he's going to campaign hard and take nothing for granted.

Good.

In another race, longtime State Senator Jeff Wentworth was unseated in the primary by about a 2:1 margin by political newcomer Dr. Donna Campbell. Wentworth was A+ rated by the NRA, but strayed on fiscal & other issues.  Dr. Campbell is very much pro gun herself (based on public statements and NRA/TSRA surveys) but is a low tax, limited government conservative, which seems to have resonated with the electorate.

And, much like Dewhurst's hysterical ad campaign, negative and false attacks by Wentworth seem to have been counter productive.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:37:54 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »
I actually hit Cruz's name because of Dewhurst's "Ted Cruz killed my son" ad.  I kinda liked Cruz already, but that one ad finished it.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 11:40:32 PM »
we'll have a pretty good senate candidate this fall that might be able to unseat Debbie Stab-U-now.  If that happens then we'll have a pretty good chance of fielding a good conservative and try and unseat Lenin err Levin on his next go round.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 01:36:53 AM »
I actually hit Cruz's name because of Dewhurst's "Ted Cruz killed my son" ad.  I kinda liked Cruz already, but that one ad finished it.

Me too.....besides, I never liked her son anyway.....

j/k

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 11:53:52 AM »
I get the impression that a lot more Republican voters are paying more attention to who the primary candidates are and what they stand for than in the past.  I think people are more fed up with the candidates who vote different than they campaign.  I hope that trend continues. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »
Not surprisingly, there have been snarky Op-Eds in the WaPo and NYT about uppity conservative/libertarian movement candidates out here in fly-over country.  It's particularly enlightening to read the comments.  "...to hear da Lamentations uff der vimmin". 
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.