Author Topic: Texas Open Carry  (Read 6027 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Texas Open Carry
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
Looks like Texas open carry just passed? Congratulations you guys! You've certainly pissed off the hoplophobes!  :laugh:

http://twitchy.com/2015/05/29/gov-greg-abbott-nra-get-trashed-after-open-carry-bill-passes-in-texas/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Texas Open Carry
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »
yes?    I was hearing about some nasty last minute behind the scenes crap to torpedo it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:32:34 PM »
Almost died but it got a second wind.  Headed to the governor to sign.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »
Abbot already Facebooked a "Get it over here. The signing pen is warmed up and ready."

One more baby step. And a good one at that.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:30:41 PM »
Abbot already Facebooked a "Get it over here. The signing pen is warmed up and ready."

One more baby step. And a good one at that.

Brad

Next up, unlicensed open carry!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 11:42:44 PM »

First campus carry, THEN unlicensed carry.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 11:48:31 PM »
First campus carry, THEN unlicensed carry.

That didn't pass?  Crap!

Maybe we can get both next time.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 01:03:51 AM »
And apparently they stripped out the amendment about stop-and-frisk?  ;/

Still, good for Texas.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »

Ah. We might have talked about it here before and the news headline made me misremember. I thought this was unlicensed open carry, but apparently it's the law designed to keep CHLs from being popped for "brandishing" by a windblown shirt, etc.?

Still an important win. The whole deal about breaking the law in many states if your gun is accidentally exposed is ridiculous.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »
Ah. We might have talked about it here before and the news headline made me misremember. I thought this was unlicensed open carry, but apparently it's the law designed to keep CHLs from being popped for "brandishing" by a windblown shirt, etc.?

Still an important win. The whole deal about breaking the law in many states if your gun is accidentally exposed is ridiculous.

Nope, this is BBQ gun open carry, at least for CHL folks. I think Texas corrected the peek-a-bo accidental exposure nonsense a long time ago.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »
Accidental exposure was clarified in the previous legislature, signed into law Jan 1 2014. 

This one is open or concealed carry with permit.  Nothing to do with accidental exposure.
And it's law but not effective till Jan 1 2016.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 02:06:06 PM »
At least I picked a good time to get fat again. The IWB belt/holster combos won't be an option for a while.

Thanks for posting. I hadn't heard this news.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
Accidental exposure was clarified in the previous legislature, signed into law Jan 1 2014. 

This one is open or concealed carry with permit.  Nothing to do with accidental exposure.
And it's law but not effective till Jan 1 2016.

I heard the Texas DPS asked to move the start date out since most of the CHL instructor training was done at the end of the year.

I thought I saw in a TSRA email that Sunday was the final deadline for bills.  Campus carry was close, but I don't know if there is any effort to get it passed at the last minute or not. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »
I heard the Texas DPS asked to move the start date out since most of the CHL instructor training was done at the end of the year.

I thought I saw in a TSRA email that Sunday was the final deadline for bills.  Campus carry was close, but I don't know if there is any effort to get it passed at the last minute or not. 

Yep I think that was what prompted Jan 1, as most new Texas laws go into effect in Sept. 
JD

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 03:03:34 PM »
Campus carry may still be in the running:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/state-politics/20150526-campus-carry-debate-goes-to-the-wire-in-texas-house.ece

Here's the real gem of the article, from a university president:

The only people I want having guns are police and the bad guy,” he said. “I don’t want police to have to sort out who is John Wayne coming to the rescue.”

:rofl:  Thanks for making it obvious, Tom!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 05:40:27 PM »
I guess everyone else is just a target.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 05:48:32 PM »
Campus Carry is a done deal.

http://m.kcbd.com/kcbd/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od%3ATFQ4nGGm

Let the wailing, knashing of teeth, and liberal academe head 'splodyness begin.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 06:20:26 PM »
Bravo
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re:
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 06:26:48 PM »
...knashing of teeth...

What is that, Yiddish?  :lol:

If Texas actually gets campus carry, I think they might finally be ahead of Missouri on something.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »
What is that, Yiddish?  :lol:

You've heard of New Math? That's New English. I iz a produkt uv publik edjukashun.

Brad
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »
This is the 4th legislative session (8 years) to try to get Campus Carry passed.  Passing that is a major milestone for Texas CHL law, IMO.  Two of the major issues on gun rights this session and we made progress on both.

I heard there was at least one exception (biohazard labs?).  I guess I'll wait and see what details there are.  At least college campus' are no longer off limits.

Now we wait for the first defensive use on a campus and see how it is handled. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 11:21:28 PM »
This is the 4th legislative session (8 years) to try to get Campus Carry passed.  Passing that is a major milestone for Texas CHL law, IMO.  Two of the major issues on gun rights this session and we made progress on both.

I heard there was at least one exception (biohazard labs?).  I guess I'll wait and see what details there are.  At least college campus' are no longer off limits.

Now we wait for the first defensive use on a campus and see how it is handled. 

AIUI, there are no specific exceptions, but the lab example was suggested as an idea of a place where it might be acceptable to ban guns.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 12:33:15 AM »
AIUI, there are no specific exceptions, but the lab example was suggested as an idea of a place where it might be acceptable to ban guns.

Biohazard labs, oil refineries, around MRI machines...

Note that all of the areas mentioned are spots where firing a gun is fairly likely to result in serious negative consequences if you miss.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »
In general, any secure area that is not open to the general public could use a verbal or written notification.  I don't see why they would need a 30.06 sign.

I am trying to imagine if liberal university management might try to put biohazard labs in more buildings to justify posting 30.06 signs.  I hate to think that would happen, but think any measure justifies their final goal.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »
In general, any secure area that is not open to the general public could use a verbal or written notification.  I don't see why they would need a 30.06 sign.

Just to be a Richard Head -

because it's the law?

As I understand it, anything less or different or out-of-spec is meaningless.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.