Author Topic: Texas Supremes Strike Blow Against Licensing  (Read 3352 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Texas Supremes Strike Blow Against Licensing
« on: July 07, 2015, 03:51:14 PM »
http://www.the-american-interest.com/2015/07/06/texas-supremes-strike-blow-against-licensing/

In a 5-4 ruling, the court ruled against the cosmetology license requirement for eyebrow threaders on the grounds that it “is not just unreasonable or harsh, but it is so oppressive that it violates” the Texas State Constitution.

Busting down the barriers to entry for the little guy is a Good Thing.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: Texas Supremes Strike Blow Against Licensing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:59:41 PM »
In a 5-4 ruling, the court ruled against the cosmetology license requirement for eyebrow threaders on the grounds that it “is not just unreasonable or harsh, but it is so oppressive that it violates” the Texas State Constitution.

If only that was applied to carry permits.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »
Eyebrow threading?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:10:08 PM »
Eyebrow threading?

Brad

They pretty much use thread that resembles dental floss and pressure to sculpt a woman's eyebrows.  Looks a *expletive deleted*it ton less invasive than waxing, and doesn't involve the swearing and cussing that plucking does.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-eyebrow-threading.htm
https://youtu.be/eWkrVzhuqrE

It's a good thing the state wanted to extract a fee from license these dangerous people, right?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »
So, Liberty hangs on by a thread.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »
So, Liberty hangs on by a thread.

I'm sure that the threading lobby pulled some strings to get this win.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »
*raises eyebrows in surprise*
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 04:43:15 PM »
*actually just looks that way because of incompetent eyebrow threading by unlicensed practitioner*
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:45:30 PM »
I'm sure that the threading lobby pulled some strings to get this win.

But it took a lot of pluck  ;)

5-4 ruling: they just won by a hair.

Anyway, you can't make-up things like this  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 06:11:14 PM »
But it took a lot of pluck  ;)

5-4 ruling: they just won by a hair.

Anyway, you can't make-up things like this  ;/

A little slow to the punditry today but your high-brow wit makes up for it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
From the linked article:
Eyebrow threading is an ancient hair removal technique which uses a twisting thread to pull the hair {out} from the root. Eyebrow threading may cause pain.

2 thoughts: 1) Why not just use tweezers? 2)No *expletive deleted*it Sherlock!  :facepalm:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »
From the linked article:
2 thoughts: 1) Why not just use tweezers? 2)No *expletive deleted*it Sherlock!  :facepalm:

Same reason people would rather wax than tweeze.  It comes out in one whack.  And from what I gather, threading can efficiently shape the brow quickly.
JD

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 02:18:52 PM »
What do you guys think about the idea that, in some areas, you need a cosmetology license or similar in order to simply braid hair commercially?

Requirements vary across states, but why should they need to learn all the ins and outs for bleaching and dying hair, scissor safety, rules and usage for chemicals and equipment that aren't even in their shop?

Surely there's a way short of requiring over a hundred hours of training(in some states) in order to ensure that they know to wash their hands and sanitize any combs/brushes?

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 02:25:11 PM »
What do you guys think about the idea that, in some areas, you need a cosmetology license or similar in order to simply braid hair commercially?

Requirements vary across states, but why should they need to learn all the ins and outs for bleaching and dying hair, scissor safety, rules and usage for chemicals and equipment that aren't even in their shop?

Surely there's a way short of requiring over a hundred hours of training(in some states) in order to ensure that they know to wash their hands and sanitize any combs/brushes?

My kids and wife cut my hair every other month or so and I have yet to spontaneously combust.  Not sure that fiddling with someone's hair is serious or risky enough that gov't needs to step in the middle.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
My kids and wife cut my hair every other month or so and I have yet to spontaneously combust.  Not sure that fiddling with someone's hair is serious or risky enough that gov't needs to step in the middle.

What we need are reasonable restrictions on scissors  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 04:41:12 PM »
My kids and wife cut my hair every other month or so and I have yet to spontaneously combust.

Your day is coming you anarchist!
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 04:54:01 PM »
Your day is coming you anarchist!

Will you put me up against the wahl and expend a clip in my direction?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 05:08:21 PM »

You'll be shipped Conair. Then we'll go to great lengths to see you assessed against various guide levels. If that doesn't put you in proper trim, then your earth gets razed and you get clipped.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 07:34:58 PM »

I'm not certain government intervention is necessary either, but I see ~3 levels of safety.  This could be done with a commercial, not government, certification.

Level 1:  General hair musser.  Knowledge necessary: Be able to recognize the signs of lice, nits, and other hair associated nasties they don't want to mess with.  Know to wash their hands and dump their combs, brushes, and other tools into the blue sanitizer between customers to avoid transferring said nasties.
Level 2:  Hair cutter - they've been trained on the ins and outs of avoiding cutting the skin while efficiently mowing the noggin in the agreed upon pattern.  I don't see this as being hard, so commercial certification is more to show that they can give an acceptable ~$10 haircut.
Level 3:  Full service - certified for the safe use of the chemicals used in bleaches, dyes, perms, the use of heat beyond a blow dryer, etc...

As I understand it, hair dressers are to dyes and such as licensed pyrotechnics are to fireworks.  They have access to ones that can and WILL cause serious damage to a person if used incorrectly.  As such, I have no problems with those working in a Salon to have extra training and certification.  But the amount needed in a barber shop that only cuts hair should be less, and the amount needed to not even cut hair reduced even from that.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »
I'm not certain government intervention is necessary either, but I see ~3 levels of safety.  This could be done with a commercial, not government, certification.

Level 1:  General hair musser.  Knowledge necessary: Be able to recognize the signs of lice, nits, and other hair associated nasties they don't want to mess with.  Know to wash their hands and dump their combs, brushes, and other tools into the blue sanitizer between customers to avoid transferring said nasties.
Level 2:  Hair cutter - they've been trained on the ins and outs of avoiding cutting the skin while efficiently mowing the noggin in the agreed upon pattern.  I don't see this as being hard, so commercial certification is more to show that they can give an acceptable ~$10 haircut.
Level 3:  Full service - certified for the safe use of the chemicals used in bleaches, dyes, perms, the use of heat beyond a blow dryer, etc...

As I understand it, hair dressers are to dyes and such as licensed pyrotechnics are to fireworks.  They have access to ones that can and WILL cause serious damage to a person if used incorrectly.  As such, I have no problems with those working in a Salon to have extra training and certification.  But the amount needed in a barber shop that only cuts hair should be less, and the amount needed to not even cut hair reduced even from that.

Of course, if you have a court system in place to allow for suing the *expletive deleted*ck out of someone, those problems will self correct. 
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »
paper clip or hair clip?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
Of course, if you have a court system in place to allow for suing the *expletive deleted*ck out of someone, those problems will self correct.

You still have the 'blood from a stone' problem:  IE untrained idiot who shouldn't have been doing X in the first place causes $100k+ of damage when he doesn't even have a net worth of $1k, and no prospect of ever having $100k.

So the business folds, the idiot(of either sex) declares bankruptcy and opens another business in a different spot until they burn somebody else(perhaps literally).

Now, if the solution to this is insurance, well, the insurance company ends up being the certification company - IE they won't issue insurance(affordable, at least) without some assurance that the insured party knows what it's doing.  Probably by requiring some sort of certification.  ;)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
You still have the 'blood from a stone' problem:  IE untrained idiot who shouldn't have been doing X in the first place causes $100k+ of damage when he doesn't even have a net worth of $1k, and no prospect of ever having $100k.

So the business folds, the idiot(of either sex) declares bankruptcy and opens another business in a different spot until they burn somebody else(perhaps literally).

Now, if the solution to this is insurance, well, the insurance company ends up being the certification company - IE they won't issue insurance(affordable, at least) without some assurance that the insured party knows what it's doing.  Probably by requiring some sort of certification.  ;)

The free market would offer a solution through guilds and insurance companies.

JD

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 09:00:36 PM »
The free market would offer a solution through guilds and insurance companies.

Didn't I just finish a post mentioning insurance companies handling the problem?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 09:10:25 PM »
Didn't I just finish a post mentioning insurance companies handling the problem?

beats having the gummint handling the problem
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog