Author Topic: Browser wars  (Read 451 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Browser wars
« on: December 10, 2022, 10:34:52 PM »
Modern computers are great in many respects, but if I'm honest, since I probably don't use more than 25% of the bells and whistles in any software I have, there are times (more and more frequent) when I wish the pace of development would slow down for a bit.

The latest example is the on-line version of Apple Pages. I certainly don't **need** it, but it has been recommended as one of the better ways to convert a Word file into a .epub digital book format. So I established an Apple account, and I have a shortcut to on-line pages on my desktop (Windows 10). And today when I tried to get into Pages -- it hung up.

I use Waterfox as my browser. Pages will open in Firefox, and in Edge. It used to open in Waterfox. So either a recent update to waterfox broke it, or a recent update to Pages broke it. The spreadsheet module in iCloud works -- it's only pages that doesn't run.

Grrrr....
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Browser wars
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 06:06:52 PM »
Heh, I use Firefox as my main browser on Windows and Android. I have Chrome for casting my laptop to the TV using Chrome Cast. Edge because it's the MS default and works when others don't on some things. Last but not least, Brave for the darker places.
:old:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 02:31:38 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 12:28:09 AM »
Pages runs in Brave, too.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 01:03:39 PM »
The changes bug me too. I have a nice new printer - Epson ET-2650 - but I can't get it linked to my copy of Windows XP in my Virtual Machine in my Windows 7 operating system. Any help would be appreciated, of course!

I keep a copy of XP because i have some programs that wont run on any operating system newer than XP.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 01:16:20 PM »
The changes bug me too. I have a nice new printer - Epson ET-2650 - but I can't get it linked to my copy of Windows XP in my Virtual Machine in my Windows 7 operating system. Any help would be appreciated, of course!

I keep a copy of XP because i have some programs that wont run on any operating system newer than XP.

Woody

Programs will often run in compatibility mode. I had a couple of programs like that. Although I have finally retired them, I ran them for years under Windows 7 in compatibility mode.

That didn't work for an old laser multi-function printer/scanner, though. For a long time, I kept one notebook computer on XP specifically because that allowed me to still use the old printer/scanner. Once I retired that computer, the printer is now only functional as a copy machine.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 02:53:52 PM »
Programs will often run in compatibility mode. I had a couple of programs like that. Although I have finally retired them, I ran them for years under Windows 7 in compatibility mode.

That didn't work for an old laser multi-function printer/scanner, though. For a long time, I kept one notebook computer on XP specifically because that allowed me to still use the old printer/scanner. Once I retired that computer, the printer is now only functional as a copy machine.

The CD that came with the printer says it'll run on XP but I cant seem to get it to link up. I'll keep trying.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 06:13:26 PM »

Network printing?  (Much as I loathe printing wirelessly...)

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 06:25:32 PM »
Network printing?  (Much as I loathe printing wirelessly...)

'Bout ready to try that. The wife's computer links to the printer through the T-Mobile tower.

Maybe .............

Woody