Author Topic: Latest 'rural sourcing' craze...  (Read 3031 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Latest 'rural sourcing' craze...
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 02:04:26 AM »
Quote from: American By Blood
My hunch about the actual topic of the thread is that it's an intermediate stage before the order taking is done in Bangalore.  When it's happening in NoDak people will love it.  They'll understand the person on the other end, their orders will be screwed up a little less (or a lot less if what's transmitted to the kitchen is accurately and automatically translated into Spanish), and they'll get to make "Fargo" jokes.  Of course, once "Bob" in India is doing it things will go back to business as usual with orders being FUBAR.
Because of the differences in cost of living and wages it would of been much easier to outsource to India from the beginning.  Besides, companies that do the math have found that it can be cheaper to ruralsource than to go all the way to India.  There's alot of expenses to actually outsource to India that you don't have if you stay home, and ND is a pretty cheap place(I'm looking at buying a house for $15k).

I've heard that we've actually managed to outsource enough that India's running out of skilled* workers faster than they anticipated.  I blame it on rising quality of life.  It's the usual story.  Company outsources to India, hires hundreds of workers, who are now making substantially more than they did.  They want to spend their money, and thus local businesses have more business and end up hiring more people to service the factory people.   The service people are making more money than they would have otherwise, and the cycle continues.  Thus, the business might hire a hundred people, but by the time you're done, two hundred non-peasant jobs may have been created.

*Yeah, I know, but you have to get ones who at least PRETEND to understand english, and in a non-native english speaking country, that's a skill.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Latest 'rural sourcing' craze...
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 02:29:32 AM »
Remember folks...

When service is poor that means the economy is good.

Right?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?