Author Topic: US Customs Seizes Thousands of Fake IDs From China  (Read 1235 times)

MechAg94

• friend
US Customs Seizes Thousands of Fake IDs From China
« on: December 01, 2019, 12:06:13 AM »
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-louisville-seizes-more-5000-fake-ids

https://www.theepochtimes.com/us-customs-seizes-thousands-of-fake-ids-from-china_3160840.html/amp?__twitter_impression=true

U.S. custom officials recently seized nearly 3,000 fake driver’s licenses—including one shipment going to a convicted child rapist —all of which were sent from China.

The six intercepted shipments, heading to different individuals in the New York area, contained 2,909 counterfeit driver’s licenses and 3,123 blank card stocks used to make fake licenses, according to a Nov. 25 U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) press release.
Curious what was paid for those. 

The report also identified China as the main source of counterfeit and pirated goods, accounting for more than 80 percent of the global fake products seizures in 2016. It also found that China and Hong Kong accounted for $322 billion of counterfeit or pirated product exports worldwide, making up around 63.4 percent of the global total.

In another location....
In another recent seizure, CBP officers on Nov. 7 seized 20,400 counterfeit Oral-B toothbrush heads in Philadelphia designated to Delran, New Jersey.

The seizure came a month after the officers flagged an air cargo shipment for examination. The authorities said that they detained the shipment upon noticing the “poor packaging and questionable quality,” which raised suspicions that it might contain counterfeit goods, according to a Nov. 27 press release.

The shipment consisted of 1,200 10-pack and 2,800 3-pack toothbrush heads that had the Oral-B brand logo.
Beware counterfeit toothbrushes from China.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: US Customs Seizes Thousands of Fake IDs From China
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 12:44:48 AM »
From MechAg94's links above:

"...and these documents can be used by those individuals associated with terrorism to minimize scrutiny from travel screening measures."

Now that's scary.  Not that fake toothbrush heads are OK, but that's Weapons of Mass Destruction level scary.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 10:24:43 AM »

In another location....Beware counterfeit toothbrushes from China.

Beware Amazon.

I like Wrangler classic cargo pants, and I found recently that Walmart no longer carries them -- Wally World only has a newer version that are made of some kind of stretchy fabric rather than cotton twill. Amazon, however, carries (or claims to carry) the all-cotton twill version.

BUT ... looking at the comments and questions, somebody asked if the Amazon version has a label on the flap of the left cargo pocket that says "Authentic Wrangler." So I looked at the old pair I had bought from Wally World a couple of years ago, and the label is there. The new pair I just bought from Amazon? No label. Amazon is a hotbed of counterfeit products, and Jeff Bezos couldn't care less. He still makes money when we get swindled.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 11:07:17 AM »
The best fake IDs come from China, pretty close to the real thing. Several of my classmates purchased them (No none of them put McLovin on them lol)
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 11:10:31 AM »
The new pair I just bought from Amazon? No label. Amazon is a hotbed of counterfeit products, and Jeff Bezos couldn't care less. He still makes money when we get swindled.

I've complained about this happening to me numerous times here. Amazon refuses any customer input on the subject. They know they have a problem, and they are simply not dealing with it.

Amazon was always my go to place for a good price, and based on reviews, quality of a product. Now it has become the opposite for me. I'm routinely seeing a lot of stuff way cheaper elsewhere, and I'm constantly having to read one star reviews on Amazon, and product reviews from several other sources before I buy something on Amazon. I've gone from implicit trust to implicit distrust regarding half the stuff I buy there. Caveat Emptor.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 01:53:05 PM »
They know they have a problem,

What makes you think they see it as a problem?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »
I've gone from implicit trust to implicit distrust regarding half the stuff I buy there. Caveat Emptor.

But you're still buying there, Ben, caveats notwithstanding.

BTW, does Amazon sell those fake IDs?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 03:13:37 PM »
But you're still buying there, Ben, caveats notwithstanding.

Because I live in the sticks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-louisville-seizes-more-5000-fake-ids

https://www.theepochtimes.com/us-customs-seizes-thousands-of-fake-ids-from-china_3160840.html/amp?__twitter_impression=true
Curious what was paid for those. 

In another location....Beware counterfeit toothbrushes from China.

Yeah, beware those counterfeit tooth brushes from China. They're probably loaded with Salmonella, E-coli, and MSG. :O

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 06:32:32 PM »
Well, if there's a demand for those counterfeit toothbrushes and we can't get any more from China , can we counterfeit counterfeit toothbrushes?

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 10:01:08 PM »
Well, if there's a demand for those counterfeit toothbrushes and we can't get any more from China , can we counterfeit counterfeit toothbrushes?

Nah. All you need is a toothpick and a bottle of Listerine.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 02:59:52 AM »
I'm still a huge Amazon consumer.  Especially when I'm at an APO for a while.  But like Ben alluded to they've kind of replaced the niche WalMart used to fill.  Cheap, convenient, kind of meh quality goods.  It doesn't annoy me because I know what I'm getting, and I tend not to buy anything there that would be low hanging fruit for the counterfeiters.

Hawk likes Wranglers.  I used to wear Dickies or Wranglers myself, but even the real ones have gone down in quality so much I don't really bother.  The last set of Dickies I got (from a Dickies outlet store, so real) were so thin they effectively weren't work jeans anymore.  If I want tough clothes I just go to Duluth Trading and pay what they cost.

Same with outdoor gear**.  If I want something generic and meh, Amazon will have it to me in two days.  If I want good gear, I just got to Osprey, Arc'tyryx, Marmot, or wherever and buy good gear.

I could go on for a while.

Part of it is that with the explosion of e-commerce there's basically no cost for a manufacturer to have a website and sell direct, and there's effectively no regional pricing differences.  Everyone can cross shop the entire US in about 5 mins, and makers can undercut retailers that are charging large markups, and cut distributors out completely.  The market then means that if you find a good price on something it is either 1. available at that price pretty much everywhere, or 2. not actually what you think it is (fake, or a Walmart-esque special SKU with cheaper materials).

And so to continue making a profit Amazon devolves towards what Ebay has become.  Reselling cheap *expletive deleted*it that was imported in large enough amounts that economies of scale can actually effect the price, or fake *expletive deleted*it.

The plus side of all this is in the race to the bottom price for consumer goods, spots in the market actually open back up for US* made stuff that is appreciably higher quality and cost, but folks are willing to pay more for. Clothes, outdoor goods (as mentioned), tools are starting to do this, I've seen some cookware, knives definitely, soap (of all things), even some consumer electronics and kitchen stuff, all can be had high at higher quality for more money if you like.  And since more people do like, there is competition at that "higher quality" market spot so prices are still not bad.  I've been eyeing some good cast iron, and there's like three or four high quality, US made, boutique cast iron cookware makers in the US right now.

*North America actually, Canada is making more stuff again as well.

**A bunch of that stuff is still made in Asia, but getting it from the manufacturer ensures manufacturer level QC, and often Asia =/= China for this stuff.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »
Just go to the local dollar store and get the off-brand Chinese copies. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge