Author Topic: All Your Thermostats Belong to Us  (Read 13249 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
All Your Thermostats Belong to Us
« on: January 07, 2008, 06:48:10 AM »
The Nannystate: All Your Thermostats Belong to Us [Darleen Click]

Im still fuming over the banning of the incandescent light bulb & done, no doubt, because we lowly peoples just cant be trusted to act in our own interest & regardless of all the real problems with CFLs, including inducing migraines and causing skin cancer. Now comes word of a proposed change to California Title 24, 236 pages of state-mandated standards for building energy efficiency

What should be controversial in the proposed revisions to Title 24 is the requirement for what is called a programmable communicating thermostat or PCT. Every new home and every change to existing homes central heating and air conditioning systems will required to be fitted with a PCT beginning next year following the issuance of the revision. Each PCT will be fitted with a non-removable  FM receiver that will allow the power authorities to increase your air conditioning temperature setpoint or decrease your heater temperature setpoint to any value they chose. During price events those changes are limited to +/- four degrees F and you would be able to manually override the changes. During emergency events the new setpoints can be whatever the power authority desires and you would not be able to alter them.

In other words, the temperature of your home will no longer be yours to control. Your desires and needs can and will be overridden by the state of California through its public and private utility organizations.

Oh goody.

Let me gloss over the overweening arrogance and fascist intrusion into folks' homes....(We were warned that if GWB won, the government would run roughshod over our rights...)

Liberals/lefties/progressives are such nincompoops that they propose to mandate a costly, technological fix for a problem that could very easily be addressed by market pricing.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: All Your Thermostats Belong to Us
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 07:11:10 AM »
Somehow I just fail to see this as Bush's fault, despite the popularity of that sentiment.
Yeah this sucks. I am already unhappy that I cannot install the kind of shower I want in my own home.  Apparantly "Codes" dictates that I must install one that insures I am not stupid enough to burn myself.  This is the one handle model.  I hate those things.
So now more BigBrother.  Oh, brother.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:39:54 AM »
Apparantly "Codes" dictates that I must install one that insures I am not stupid enough to burn myself.  This is the one handle model.  I hate those things.
So now more BigBrother.  Oh, brother.

Ah, young Grasshoppa... be fix with Allen wrench and five minute time.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 07:48:17 AM »
This does not surprise me at all, given something I saw this weekend.

Place near me, general store that's been there since 1820. They have some tables now, and excellent sandwiches and other stuff. I was eating lunch.

A bunch of carpetbagging Hillary canvassers come in and take a table to plan their door to door strategy. Yay.

And then...two of them go over and TURN UP the restaurant's thermostat without asking!  shocked They were cold, so they use some of the owner's heating oil? Without even asking? Selfish? Entitlement? Hello?

I told the owner, she turned it back down, and I showed her on my phone a picture of a tasteful-looking thermostat cover on Lowes' website, she was going to go get one, now.

I mean...who raised these people?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:51:22 AM »
Allen wrench hell, if you want more cool put a damp towel in the nuker and put the resulting hot towel over the stat. Want more heat, a damp frozen towel will do the same thing 'ceptin' in reverse... There are many other ways but you get the idea.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 07:52:23 AM »
Allen wrench hell, if you want more cool put a damp towel in the nuker and put the resulting hot towel over the stat. Want more heat, a damp frozen towel will do the same thing 'ceptin' in reverse... There are many other ways but you get the idea.  grin

You can also make an electronic thermostat fooling device with a single Peltier thermocouple and switches to change polarity and vary current.

Those are what make the car cooler/warmer things work. A tiny one would have the same effect on a thermostat with just a tiny trickle of power.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 07:54:37 AM »
When I lived in base housing in Yuma, the thermostats were static.  They were set to AC at 75, heat at 68.  During the summer we'd blow a hair dryer on it, winter we'd lay a bag of frozen peas over it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 07:54:47 AM »
Maybe YOU will... first thing I'd have to do is look up Peltier thermocouple.  grin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 07:55:43 AM »
Maybe YOU will... first thing I'd have to do is look up Peltier thermocouple.  grin

Just buy one of those cheap "cooling/warming travel cup" things and tear it apart, it's got all the parts you need.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 07:56:42 AM »
Looks like I better start stocking up on Honeywell dial thermostats and sell them later on the black market
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »
Well, in that case, the next thing they'll have to do is put a camera in everybody's house to watch and make sure nobody tampers with the T'stat, and then they'd have to put a camera in to watch and make sure nobody tampers with the first camera, and then...

They'll get it eventually.  rolleyes

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 07:58:15 AM »
There you go, nothing like a good black market to go with the rest of it. The world needs guys selling illegal t'stats out of the trunks of their cars.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 08:02:17 AM »
There you go, nothing like a good black market to go with the rest of it. The world needs guys selling illegal t'stats out of the trunks of their cars.

CA already has a brisk market in black market hi-flow toilets. If an old house is to be demolished, I've heard, people are right there to buy the toilets.

Of course, catching black market toilet sellers is often difficult, because when the police arrive, all the fixtures are gone..and they have nothing to go on.  grin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 08:03:53 AM »
 cheesy I'll be stealing that in just a few seconds...  cheesy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 08:05:03 AM »
The world needs guys selling illegal t'stats out of the trunks of their cars.

I want to be that guy! I'm thinking a '66 Coupe Deville would have a nice large trunk.

Uranus is a gas giant.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 08:08:16 AM »
Yea, how many bodies can you fit in one of those again?  cheesy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 08:10:41 AM »
Yea, how many bodies can you fit in one of those again?  cheesy

I plead the fifth.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Paddy

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 08:40:42 AM »
{{shrug}} What's the beef?  Everybody's just stood by over the past 6 years and watched the Constitution be overridden. This is just another government power grab, except that thermostats aren't Constitutionally protected.  Nobody's going to do squat about, not you, not me and damn sure not our 'representatives', either Republican or Democrat.  But we keep putting them back in office, don't we?

So just keep voting for the same a-holes and be content to do your bitching on internet forums.  We're getting exactly the kind of government we deserve.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 08:42:54 AM »
{{shrug}} What's the beef?  Everybody's just stood by over the past 6 years and watched the Constitution be overridden. This is just another government power grab, except that thermostats aren't Constitutionally protected.  Nobody's going to do squat about, not you, not me and damn sure not our 'representatives', either Republican or Democrat.  But we keep putting them back in office, don't we?

So just keep voting for the same a-holes and be content to do your bitching on internet forums.  We're getting exactly the kind of government we deserve.

Who is voting for this sort of thing besides voters in California?

If someone in my state proposed this, they'd be out on the curb so fast that they could file for whiplash.

I think you need to look in the mirror, first. It's YOUR state's voters who vote for asinine things like this through their choice in politicians. This doesn't happen anywhere else!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 09:19:07 AM »
Yeah, I don't think GWB deserves any blame for this.  This is all on California voters who didn't even vote to elect GWB in the first place. 

BUT I am sure that Al Gore and John Kerry would have been extremely concerned about your plight. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 09:35:23 AM »
Somehow I just fail to see this as Bush's fault, despite the popularity of that sentiment.

I included that in jest. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »

I want to be that guy! I'm thinking a '66 Coupe Deville would have a nice large trunk.

Such a gas guzzler is illegal in Kalifornistan...right?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 09:57:08 AM »

If you're going to do that, upgrade to a '73 Eldo with the 500 cub motor.  It's a big, fat "Up Yours", only with leather seats and power steering.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 10:01:56 AM »

If you're going to do that, upgrade to a '73 Eldo with the 500 cub motor.  It's a big, fat "Up Yours", only with leather seats and power steering.

Brad

Go all out and rig up a Denis Leary ride ala the "I'm An A-hole" song.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 10:02:42 AM »
 grin

Brad
-HankB