Author Topic: Hooray! My New Logging Boots Came In!  (Read 13314 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Hooray! My New Logging Boots Came In!
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 05:56:33 PM »
Good points, all.  Puttin' on the ritz...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »
Speaking of snobbism, what insulated high end boot that is made in the USA should I buy? I'm thinking Danner, I want to plunk down cash for some really nice boots and am pretty tired of seeing made in China on used to be US brands.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 07:51:23 PM »
Speaking of snobbism, what insulated high end boot that is made in the USA should I buy? I'm thinking Danner, I want to plunk down cash for some really nice boots and am pretty tired of seeing made in China on used to be US brands.

Be sure you get a USA tag on those danners then-I noticed that a lot of the new danners are made in China too.

I found a nice brand down here in Australia, though they're not work boots the same as ours: R.M. Williams.  Excellent quality, not made in China, and a pretty good selection.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
That's ... well ... I'm not quite sure what that is.  But I am sure it's very, very disturbing.

Brad
I'd list it under waaay too much information.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
I got a pair of Redwing boots about 4 years ago that are still going strong.  Granted, I don't really wear them that much, but they've held up longer than any of the cheap boots I've ever had, and are a lot more comfortable.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »

I think this is what he's trying to say.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BMacklem

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 08:37:19 AM »
I can't resist the temptation,
but what's wrong with going commando under a utili-kilt?
or any kilt for that matter?
If none of you people have ever worn a kilt (of any sort) , you'd be astounded at just exactly how many women (attractive ones too) try to lift up the kilt to see what you are wearing under that kilt, and that alone is worth the price of wearing one in my humble opinion, I speak from experiance here.
Now I just have to use the standard responses for when I'm asked "What is worn under your kilt?"
to which you say "Absolutely nothing is worn....everything is in fine working order under my kilt..." etc.ect.etc...

Iain

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 09:01:52 AM »

I think this is what he's trying to say.

stay safe.

skidmark

It would help if that was spelt properly.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 10:09:37 AM »
French G.:

I you want a quality, American-made boot that will give you years of service. I heartily recommend boots from Russell Moccasin Co. They're hand made and custom fitted. I invested in a pair of hunting boots, and they are the best, most comfortable footwear I've ever owned.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »
Looks like Russell is it. Next time I trip over $600 I think I get a full thinsulated set of Sheep Hunter's.

No, I'm not rich, a point for people to consider that are angry at money is the theory of buy once, cry once. I'm 33, with luck they can bury those boots with me in 60 some years.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »
I firmly believe that shoes are some of the more important clothing items you can buy. Particuarly if you are on your feet for long periods.

Therefore, spending a hundred, or a couple hundred, or even several hundred for quality footwear that is worn day in, day out, and hopefully for several years, is most certainly not out of line.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 11:07:48 AM »
I was fitted at the Dallas Safari Club convention where Russell hosts a booth. I have High Country Hunters with 200 gram Thinsulate, 8" high as the fitter recommended for my chunky calves. They are fantastic for the mixed Texas Hill Country terrain I wear them in. I have "issues" with my feet: no arches, high insteps, bad Achilles tendon, different leg lengths, and the attendant back problems.

As with all boots, taking them off feels good, but not half as good as wearing them all day afield and not thinking about my feet.

(Edited for tiepo)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:59:00 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 01:13:43 PM »
It would help if that was spelt properly.

Ownedddddddddddddd.

Therefore, spending a hundred, or a couple hundred, or even several hundred for quality footwear that is worn day in, day out, and hopefully for several years, is most certainly not out of line.

Exactly.  They can be a very solid investment, like any other tool. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 12:26:12 AM »
OK, this thread has been cleansed of the whining crap and back and forth childish bickering that crept in.

If anyone wants to continue to talk about boots, that's fine.

Want to continue to be a pissy little prat, take it to PM.

Just for the record, I had a set of redwings I got VERY lightly used at a thrift store for $15 bucks. Never did understand why they were there.

That was just before I started college in 1983.

I wore them VERY hard through college, including working summers surveying with my Father, hunting, hiking, etc. They finally gave up the ghost when the soles on both boots split in the winter of 2001.

Nearly 20 years out of a set of $15 boots.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2008, 12:13:39 AM »
Between the high-end Redwings and the Wal-Mart specials, there are some decent boots out there in the $60-$150 range.  What brands do you all like, in that price range? 

For work boots, I've worn mostly Carolinas.  I've also had a pair of Georgias that were not so good.  Chippewas have always looked good to me, but I've never had any. 

I needed some new boots for work, and I got me these Carolina loggers, last night, with steel toe and water-proofer lining.  Had to go cheap, although Dad-in-law helped with some Christmas money.  These were priced at about $100. 

Split stove-wood all day at Dad's house again, and also hiked down into the woods a little ways, to play with the .45.  Them boots felt just fine. 

I always buy some insoles for my boots, too.  And wear big, thick socks. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 09:30:59 AM »
Carolinas are a decent boot.  The last pair lasted me through 1/2 of a re-sole.

They do require a quality inner sole, though, and must be bought/sized accordingly.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2008, 11:50:04 AM »
Do the RedWingers come with a good insole? 

I just spent the past three-and-a-half hours shoveling snow, and right now I can't even tell I'm wearing these boots.  I don't think I've ever had a pair that fit this good from the start. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008, 09:49:31 PM »
Do the RedWingers come with a good insole? 

I just spent the past three-and-a-half hours shoveling snow, and right now I can't even tell I'm wearing these boots.  I don't think I've ever had a pair that fit this good from the start. 

Dear mother of Paul Bunyan, yes.

All mine (4 pair, now) have the same insole.  My oldest pair I have had resoled (outer) and am halfway through that re-soling.  The insole is still going strong and will outlast the exterior leather, which I take good care of by way of cleaning and a good coat of Kiwi paste when it is called for.
Two pair like this, but black (no longer available in black, will have to substitute http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1429):
http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1159
One pair like this:
http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1766
And my latest is detailed in the OP.

It is a firm/resilient rubbery-foamy sorta deal.  It has give, but will not squish down to nothing or take a permanent set/shape.

Size them to fit and forget about the insole.

Avoid any outer sole that is clear or has "2.0" in its name.  They wear/feel good, they just can not be re-soled.  I see fewer of them than in years past, though, so I think that particular "high tech feature" has not gone over well.  Stick with the old-school outer sole(s) and the old insole.

To give you an idea how I wear my Redwings, I wear quality Gold Toe white or black cotton athletic socks in warm months and GI 50% wool (balance nylon & cotton) boot socks in cold months.  The common thread being they are all the same thickness (not very).  I avoid thick socks like the plague.  No need for the aftermarket insole & sock thickness balancing act.  Stick with quality medium-thickness socks and go.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:54:35 PM by jfruser »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 10:53:04 PM »
Carolina boots are okay.  The pair I have now is about 12 years old and just about wore out.  That includes some commercial logging use and fighting wildfires.  I bought them through Bailey's and had them drop-shipped.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2008, 12:26:37 AM »
I avoid thick socks like the plague.  No need for the aftermarket insole & sock thickness balancing act.  Stick with quality medium-thickness socks and go.

My thick socks aren't there for a tighter fit.  I guess I just like them because of the extra cushioning.  After I tried the Thor-Lo socks they sold at the PX, I could no longer tolerate those worthless GI socks.  The problem is finding a comparable sock at a price I can afford.  They have to be thick enough, big enough for my size 13s, long enough to stick up over the 8-9" loggers, and BREATHE.  That last requires a wool/acrylic/nylon blend, in my experience.  I used to buy some medium-weight Mossimos at Target, but they've been discontinued, and are wearing out rather quickly. 

Unfortunately, I have never been very satisfied with any of the cold-weather socks I've found.  They always seem to slide around too much.  ???

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2008, 09:48:35 AM »
Smartwool socks. Pricey, but worth it.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »
Smartwool socks. Pricey, but worth it.

They're good, but I've found the REI brand imitation to be just as good. I actually like them a little better, and they're quite a bit cheaper than the Smartwool brand.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »
Ooh! Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.