Author Topic: Objects in Space  (Read 13319 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Objects in Space
« on: April 09, 2010, 10:51:28 PM »
I just had this really weird thought about Noah's Ark floating in space.....

Now that you've had some time to digest that, it brought up the question I sometimes ponder but never actually research, about how various inanimate objects would be affected by the vacuum of outer space.  What would happen to wood, for example?  Or if you did strap corpses to your mock-Reaver vessel, what would happen to them in space? 

Thank you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Objects in Space
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 11:08:03 PM »
Umm...desication?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:28:59 PM »
Umm...desication?
Do you think he is trying to make jerky or something?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:32:59 PM »
Is anyone else seeing/not seeing the pic that Fistfull posted?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »
Do you think he is trying to make jerky or something?   =D

Space jerky.

There isn't one.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »
oh there's a pic, i vote we ban him for it.

:lol: =D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 12:34:31 AM »

I was just giving you some time to wonder why on earth I was thinking such a bizarre thought, but here's the closest picture I could find to the ark in space.  I'm hoping Tuttle will oblige us with something. =)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 01:16:42 AM »
i suspect the wood would freeze and split where on the dark side, and char and fall apart on the bright side, the bodies would be freeze dried on the first and charbroiled on the second. [tinfoil]

wait, does that mean there's a dark side of the ark? if so....

if the board your on starts posting different threads,, i'll see you on the dark side of the ark.... =D

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 03:04:02 AM »
The fluids in the body would begin immediately boiling  as soon as atmospheric pressure was lost with corresponding expansion and laceration/fracturing of the surrounding tissues until the thermal loss overtakes that process causing the remaining fluids to freeze. Oh wait, did you not want a serious answer? *whistles innocently*

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 03:05:01 AM »
The fluids in the body would begin immediately boiling  as soon as atmospheric pressure was lost with corresponding expansion and laceration/fracturing of the surrounding tissues until the thermal loss overtakes that process causing the remaining fluids to freeze. Oh wait, did you not want a serious answer? *whistles innocently*

You're gross sometimes, Bill.   :lol:

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 03:07:17 AM »
You're gross sometimes, Bill.   :lol:

No, gross is visualizing what happens to a persons skeleton in vacuum when the bone marrow locked inside suddenly expands in volume several times over.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 03:07:48 AM »
Dude.  [barf]

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:13:13 AM »

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 03:20:49 AM »
No, gross is visualizing what happens to a persons skeleton in vacuum when the bone marrow locked inside suddenly expands in volume several times over.
*crunchsplat*

:P

What I've gotta wonder, though, is would the skin actually rupture like a hot dog in the microwave?  IIRC, bones, etc. are porous what with the marrow producing blood and all, and the tear ducts/nose/mouth/nethers... wouldn't the fluids merely seep from them instead (like poking holes in the aforementioned hypothetical hot dog)?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 03:24:25 AM »
*crunchsplat*

:P

What I've gotta wonder, though, is would the skin actually rupture like a hot dog in the microwave?  IIRC, bones, etc. are porous what with the marrow producing blood and all, and the tear ducts/nose/mouth/nethers... wouldn't the fluids merely seep from them instead (like poking holes in the aforementioned hypothetical hot dog)?

I'm not sure. We should test.. FOR SCIENCE!! Anybody got a fresh cadaver and a vacuum chamber they aren't currently using?

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 03:27:28 AM »
Seems NASA already has.

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART OR PeTA PEOPLE:
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/q0291.shtml

... but very interesting nonetheless.

Summary: You puff up like a marshmallow, but the real danger is lack of oxygen.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:31:31 AM by Dionysusigma »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »
I'm hoping Tuttle will oblige us with something. =)
PFFT

Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
I imagine drying out and otherwise perfect preservation. As it's oxygen dependent microbes that are the reason for decay, in space where there is no oxygen or other gases there would effectively be no organic decomposition and any damage would be purely physical. Cooking either through heat or radiation, impact from asteroids or other space debris, etc.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 07:38:55 PM »
This thread is quiet now because none of you can believe how completely and utterly I have destroyed Tuttle's reputation as an image manipulator.  Look upon my work and weep.  Weep because Tuttle has fallen.  But moreso, weep because I have taken his place.
You do not yet know tyranny.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 07:42:49 PM »
 :'(

/cue lamentations of women and children
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 07:50:21 PM »

Now that you've had some time to digest that, it brought up the question I sometimes ponder but never actually research, about how various inanimate objects would be affected by the vacuum of outer space.  What would happen to wood, for example?  Or if you did strap corpses to your mock-Reaver vessel, what would happen to them in space? 

Thank you.
Thermal cycling (I assume your object is rotating, alternating between sun and shade) would quickly break down most materials, including wood and flesh.  Dessication and outgassing would also be major problems for many materials.  Radiation would do a number on most materials, too. 

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
It doesn't matter how long or how a corpse would become nothing when floating in space because the armies of Hell on their way to Earth from Phobos will pick up all corpses and reanimate them for use in their horrifying army.

Amateurs.

This is probably what the horrible Daemon piloted ship would look like cruising through space.

Be warned, it's graphic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 11:17:37 PM »
Mabs, you are the dumbest tyrant ever.  I am not afraid of you.  You are dumb. 

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 12:37:54 AM »
Mabs, you are the dumbest tyrant ever.  I am not afraid of you.  You are dumb. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcY090XV284#t=9m45s  :laugh:
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 12:56:37 AM »
Dionysusigma would seem to be right about the hot-dog-in-the-μwave popping.  

The vapor pressure of water is 47 mm Hg at body temperature -- about 1 psia. Assuming a fresh, warm corpse, the blood would start evaporating quickly, maybe even boil, and try to fill the body cavity to that 1 psia with nothing pushing back. Maybe a little less because of the salt in the body's fluid, maybe a little more because the gases (N2) dissolved in the fluids would start to come out of solution, like "the bends."

Man, what a f@rt that would be!  Might even be enough to throw the corpse out of orbit!

Say, if Noah took only two of each animal, what did he feed the lions after the two lambs/sheep were eaten?

And he must've had one heck of a ventilation and stall-cleaning problem, yes?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 02:57:32 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.