Author Topic: Recommend the best single-player FPS military game for the PC  (Read 13154 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Recommend the best single-player FPS military game for the PC
« on: December 04, 2010, 02:02:06 PM »
So I received a $ 50 gift card, and I am pondering buying a contemporary FPS military game for the PC. I want one with a robust single-player capability.  I don't want to get into the co-op gameplay over the Net; I don't have time for that.  Just a good FPS game that I can sit and play for 30 minutes or so at a session.

Any suggestions?  Cost is not important. I would be running this on a Vista 64 bit premium desktop bought last year, so it is fairly robust.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:41:41 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Recommend the best single-player FPS military game for the PC
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 02:16:43 PM »
I'm not sure about the new ones, but the first two call of duty games had EXCELLENT single player campaigns.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
While the release is a bit dated, the Brothers in Arms games are IMAO the best single-player FPS games on the market.  The second game Earned in Blood when combined with Rendroc's Command Mod beats all others hands down for single player gameplay and intensity.  Earned in Blood requires a bit of work to get running on x64 Vista, but can be done and the rewards are worth the effort.

The most recent release Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway should still be generally available and is visually stunning; has an engauging storyline and is tough enough to be no easy task to finish.

In a more contemporary setting, Full Spectrum Warrior is the way to go. Can be had for less than $10 on the discount racks, or free download.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
Any of the CODs - Black Ops, Modern Warfare 1 & 2. Medal of Honor is very good, too.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »
Consider ARMA II: Combined Operations.

You give up the polish and accessability of COD for unrivaled scope & freedom. Leans more toward a sim than a game, IMHO. You'll have to deal with bullet drop at long ranges, one or two hits drops you, etc. Requires a willingness to tweak the graphical settings a bit for a good experience (and for goodness sake, turn off mouse smoothing!). Try out the demos for ARMA 2 and it's stand alone expansion, Operation Arrowhead, to see if it remotely interests you. Though be warned that the demos have not been updated as the games have, so current performance in several areas is noticeably better in the actual games.

Not for everyone, but unmatched if it's your kind of thing. Oh, and it can be played 1st or 3rd person.

It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 05:25:16 PM »
It has been awhile since I played it, but Medal of Honor is good.  I didn't care for COD much, but it had the Russian weapons which was cool.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »
Operation Flashpoint and it's children ARMA and ARMA II, plus all the related expansions of each. It is a pretty unique FPS/combat simulator family. Main two things that they are weak in is the aviation parts of the game don't work too well, and AI can be a bit weak in the game (particularly if you are trying to work with AI as part of a tank or helicopter crew). Lots of fun...jacking a T-72 and wreaking havoc behind enemy lines is strangely satisfying...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »
In addition to those already mentioned, I enjoyed the original Ghost Recon. You can probably find this one - cheap - in the bargain bin somewhere.  (Ghost Recon II: Advanced Warfighter had some gameplay issues that detracted from the experience.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »
I am downloading the Arma 2 demo now.  I wish, wish, wish that the game sites would say if a given program worked on 64 bit versions of Windows. I have been burned too many times by games that said on the box that they worked with Vista, only to discover they work only on the 32 bit versions.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 10:29:40 PM »
Half Life 2 is the king of all FPS. Has it all--Zombies, Aliens, SHTF. You should be able to get all three episodes for less than 50 on Steam.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 12:02:50 AM »
Half Life 2 is the king of all FPS. Has it all--Zombies, Aliens, SHTF. You should be able to get all three episodes for less than 50 on Steam.

Half Life 2 is also great fun, for a FPS that is "gate controlled"- i.e, you are limited to where you can go on the map by the mission, until it removes checkpoints/obstacles at the proper time. Great story in HL: 2, too. I tried the original HL, but didn't really care for it as much. How big of a fan am I of the Half Life saga? I don't wear a Gordon Freeman costume, but I did go out and buy a crowbar to keep in my backpack.

What I like about ARMA is that it's an "open map" experience...you can literally go to the other side of the map, or wherever you choose. Want to take the really long way around to infiltrate enemy lines? Go right ahead.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 12:32:25 AM »
A word about ARMA 2, if you go that route get the "Combined Operations" version. Stay away from the stand alone "Operation Arrowhead" as it does not support a majority of mods you'll find on the net. The mods are what make Operation Flashpoint and its ilk(arma) great games.

As a long time OFP fan I was disappointed when I finally replaced my PC and was able to play ARMA 2. Just like OFP you gotta mod the AI and get some things like DAC going so you can have some dynamic battles that are actually fun to make and play. (for me the fun was always in the editor and making my own missions/battles)

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 01:25:07 AM »
I am downloading the Arma 2 demo now.  I wish, wish, wish that the game sites would say if a given program worked on 64 bit versions of Windows. I have been burned too many times by games that said on the box that they worked with Vista, only to discover they work only on the 32 bit versions.
I could never get the ARMA 2 demo to work right, but the Operation Arrowhead demo never gave me problems. If you decide you like it, know that I run 64-bit Windows 7, and I've had no trouble running either ARMA 2 or Operation Arrowhead.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 01:30:16 AM »
Just Cause 2 is another awesome game. Not a proper FPS, but great, insane fun.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
Its an old one, but MOHAA is good single player, The Spearhead expansion is a very good multiplayer game- I've been playing that mostly for the last 6 years or so.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
Single player?
FPS? (also 3rd person view available)
Military?
PC?

Hidden and Dangerous 1 + 2!  =D

They're getting on a bit in years now, but I had a lot of fun with them. Pretty much any PC should be able to run them nicely.

Other than that, the CoD games if you can get them at a good price. They are not all that long in singleplayer, especially the more recent Modern Warfare games (5 hours).
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 10:15:30 PM »
I'll put another one in for ARMA... have not played ARMA 2 but I'm sure you can pick up the first for dirt-cheap - that franchise is kind of "niche", so price dropped quickly.  I got my copy for ten bucks.  Graphics are amazing, gameplay can be tedious *at times* but there are some fantastic moments.  For instance, early in the game you do an early-morning raid on an armor depot.  Using night-vision, racing the sunrise, trying to plant charges before it's bright enough for the opposing soldiers to spot you.

Hidden and Dangerous 1 + 2!  =D

They're getting on a bit in years now, but I had a lot of fun with them. Pretty much any PC should be able to run them nicely.

Hidden and Dangerous can now be downloaded for free, and runs well, at least on XP(my old version had sound issues under XP).

I suggest Bioshock.  It's ultra-creepy but *beautiful* and pretty deep.  Very good if you're into suspense-type games(I'm usually not), and also cheap.

Those are a few suggestions for now; I will put up a few more later.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 11:20:20 PM »
I can't find any system requirements for Arma...  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 08:35:04 AM »
PowerPoint.

Oh, wait, you want to go the enlisted route...nevermind.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 09:27:07 PM »
I am pleased to report that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, runs just fine on a Windows Vista Premium 64 bit machine, and it cost $ 30 at Target.  I downloaded the demo for both Arma and Operation Arrowhead but they did not run.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:53:24 PM by MillCreek »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »

If you have to ask, you need a new computer.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »

ARMA:
Minimum Specification:*CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor*
RAM: 512 MB*
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce FX series or ATI Radeon 9500 series or higher (Pixel Shader 2.0)*
HD space: 3 GB (or more as needed for downloadable addons)*
Operating system: Windows XP or Windows 2000

Recommended Specification:
*CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor*
RAM: 1 GB*Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 6800 series or ATI Radeon X800 series or higher
*HD space: 4 GB (or more as needed for downloadable addons)*
Operating system: Windows XP

ARMA II

Minimum   
CPU   Dual Core (Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster)   
Memory   1 GB RAM   
Hard drive space   10 GB
Graphics hardware   Nvidia Geforce 7800, ATI Radeon 1800 or faster (with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM)   

Recommended
Quad Core CPU or Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 + or faster)
2 GB RAM
Hard drive space   10 GB
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, ATI Radeon 4850 or faster (with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM)

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
Bro digging up a two year old thread?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 03:32:54 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic