Author Topic: Pick-em-up truck question  (Read 13380 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Pick-em-up truck question
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:52 PM »
I got in the car, pressed the traction control button to shut it off, the front wheels slipped for about a 1/2 turn and the car drove out with no problems.

Our minivan's manual specifically says to turn off traction control if stuck in the snow. Like mtnbkr's minivan, I find the traction control, at least as implemented in our '11 Toyota Sienna, to be a good thing and I can specifically turn it off if I need to (as in brimic's scenario).

I would not be as much a fan of it in a vehicle where it could not be easily disabled.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
So I am wondering if the OP saw a lifted truck or saw one of the few factory models that come lifted.

I don't rightly know, either. What I know is that I drive a Jeep Cherokee with the factory off-road suspension (sits a whole 1-inch higher than the standard models), and it seems every full-size Ford, Chevy or Ram pickup that gets beside me in traffic has bed rails about even with the tops of my front door windows. They can't ALL be aftermarket lifts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »
Well, this ain't gonna be easy. I took my trash to the transfer station today (my little town doesn't offer municipal trash collection). Found myself parked next to a new Ford F-150 PU, so I engaged the owner in some discussion. The truck is 4WD, and completely stock. And the tops of the bed rails were even with my armpits. That's too high to be useful.

There were no blocks in the suspension, so nothing to be removed for a quick and easy drop. Worse, the springs sit over the axle, so they're fairly close to flat with just a very light load of routine household trash in the bed. It appears that the only effective way to lower it would be to convert to running the rear springs under the axle, and have custom springs made.

Disappointed.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »
Well, this ain't gonna be easy. I took my trash to the transfer station today (my little town doesn't offer municipal trash collection). Found myself parked next to a new Ford F-150 PU, so I engaged the owner in some discussion. The truck is 4WD, and completely stock. And the tops of the bed rails were even with my armpits. That's too high to be useful.

There were no blocks in the suspension, so nothing to be removed for a quick and easy drop. Worse, the springs sit over the axle, so they're fairly close to flat with just a very light load of routine household trash in the bed. It appears that the only effective way to lower it would be to convert to running the rear springs under the axle, and have custom springs made.

Disappointed.

you're Little Jimmy Dickens in real life, aren't you?
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2013, 07:58:57 PM »

Even the lower-beside trucks from 30 years ago had bedsides too tall for much more than vestigial access, thus the proliferation of flatbed conversions out in farm and ranch country.  The only, and I mean ONLY truck I ever saw with flat-footed full bed access was a Ford Courier.  For those of you not old enough to remember the Couriers, Subaru Brat, and VW trucks, imagine a half-scale standard half-ton truck, only with no power, no noise dampening in the cab, and suspension sourced from Radio Flyer.

[Brad Paisley tune]
...If little Jimmy Dickens,
Showed up with fried chicken,
And a hunnerd gallon keg of beer...
[/Brad Paisley tune]

:D

Brad
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:02:12 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »

If Little Jimmy Dickens is 6'-2" tall and weighs 240 pounds ... yes, I am.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:11:01 PM by Hawkmoon »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
thus the proliferation of flatbed conversions out in farm and ranch country

I know that when I change trucks next (probably next year or so) I'm going to flat bed and probably won't go back to a standard bed ever again. Not only am I doing it because flat bed is better for my welder and gear (Currently my Ranger and cross mounted tool box all but fill up the bed) but also for the general utility of the flat bed. When I'm hauling something large and heavy it'll be a lot easier to load and unload with a tractor.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
If Little Jimmy Dickens is 6'-2" tall and weighs 240 pounds ... yes, I am.

I somehow doubt stock pickups are really that tall but I guess I need to go look at a new one.   =|

Some suggestions:

1) Buy an older (1990s) pickup that is not so tall
2) Replace the factory bed with some sort of flatbed or utility bed.  Locking tool boxes would be nice  =)
3) Put on a shell so you have to crawl in from the back on your hands and knees  :lol:
4) Buy 4 door crew cab and keep your little stuff where the back seat used to be
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2013, 03:22:50 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
I somehow doubt stock pickups are really that tall but I guess I need to go look at a new one.   =|

Some suggestions:

1) Buy an older (1990s) pickup that is not so tall
2) Replace the factory bed with some sort of flatbed or utility bed.  Locking tool boxes would be nice  =)
3) Put on a shell so you have to crawl in from the back on your hands and knees  :lol:
4) Buy 4 door crew cab and keep your little stuff where the back seat used to be

TP:

They are that flipping high.  And W_I_D_E.  High & thick bed sidewalls.  They even put toolboxes in the sides of the beds.  It is an option and doesn't make the bed any wider.

I have two school-aged "bed clearing units" to help if I get a truck topper.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »
TP:

They are that flipping high.  And W_I_D_E.  High & thick bed sidewalls.  They even put toolboxes in the sides of the beds.  It is an option and doesn't make the bed any wider.

I have two school-aged "bed clearing units" to help if I get a truck topper.

Okay well there are jillions of 1990s vintage Chevy and GMC around and they are not that high because I have one.  Ford or Dodge probably the same.  I can't imagine paying $35-40K for a new pickup these days anyway.  You would really have to need it.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2013, 05:01:46 PM »
Just for reference, I have an '07 Chevy 2wd, and the top of the bed rail is 50" off the ground.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2013, 07:24:42 PM »
I just happen to have 3 examples on hand to check. My '83 Chevy is 48.5", my daughters '97 Dodge is 49" and my M715 is 53". All measured just forward of the tailgate.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams