Author Topic: Pick-em-up truck question  (Read 13359 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Pick-em-up truck question
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
Am I crazy, or is Jeep making a Wrangler Unlimited pickup? Can't find it online except for a concept, but I saw one in a dealer lot 2 days ago.

Probably a used one with a conversion kit.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12503_8000_07.htm

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 05:11:21 PM »
Did someone say Jeep truck?
 =D

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
The new trucks do get much better MPG then they did a few years ago. They also have way more HP then they did in the 70's and 80's.

Oh, I'm very much aware they have better mileage and horsepower.  That's their saving grace.

It still doesn't negate the fact they're trying to make a 1/2 ton pickup look like a semi tractor with a box out back in lieu of a 5th wheel.

I thought my '60 Apache 20 was a big pickup...

I remember the rumors of Ford's replacement for the Ranger series a couple years back, they were going to call it an F-100.  It was supposed to be a stripped-down, base model F-150.

Looks like that fell by the wayside, too.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
The new trucks do get much better MPG then they did a few years ago. They also have way more HP then they did in the 70's and 80's.

Yep. Supposedly one of the reasons Ford killed the Ranger is that the F-150 gets equal or better gas mileage, so nobody (relatively, to Ford) was buying Rangers any more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 05:25:27 PM »
Yep. Supposedly one of the reasons Ford killed the Ranger is that the F-150 gets equal or better gas mileage, so nobody (relatively, to Ford) was buying Rangers any more.
Lots of reasons. MPG, size, cost, etc. mean they don't see a point.

Personally I'd like an actual smaller pickup truck, reasonable capability, reasonable cost. You know, like used to actually be available before they decided to go bonkers and make everything far more huge than it needs to be.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »

Maybe they weren't selling enough to warrant production or further costs in R&D for newer models. Companies gotta turn a profit you know.

I really don't think fullsized pickup trucks have changed much in footprint size since the late 1960's. Remember 2wd trucks were the norm and 4x4 were kind of rare. Now its the other way around.

I think pickup trucks have gotten taller and maybe this what made them more aerodynamic for better fuel economy, maybe they had to do this to meet safety standards.

Uranus is a gas giant.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »
No kidding on the trucks getting bigger.  when I bought my S1500 in 1995, even in Montana it was one of the bigger rigs in the parking lot.  Now...  it's on the low end of average.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »
No kidding on the trucks getting bigger.  when I bought my S1500 in 1995, even in Montana it was one of the bigger rigs in the parking lot.  Now...  it's on the low end of average.

In the late 1980s and 1990s (1988-1999), Chevy and GMC downsized their "full-size" pickups.  My 1989 is six inches narrower than my 1976, to the point that my chainsaw toolbox will not fit inside the bed.  =(

In 2000 (IIRC) they started making them bigger again.  So they are just about back to 1960s/70s size.  But most pickups these days are extended or crew cabs which were very rare way back then.

Is your S1500 the same as an S-10 ??? Those are small pickups.  Must be a Missoula thing  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »
I think my 2001 C1500 is a little bigger than my old 1976 C20, but the old truck would seat 3 adults without much difficulty, and I could not reach the passenger door from the driver's seat.  The new one will seat 2 adults and a small child, and (when there's not a small child and adult in the way) I can lean way over and touch the other door.  So the cabs are not wider on the inside.  They might be wider on the outside.

"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
I think my 2001 C1500 is a little bigger than my old 1976 C20, but the old truck would seat 3 adults without much difficulty, and I could not reach the passenger door from the driver's seat.  The new one will seat 2 adults and a small child, and (when there's not a small child and adult in the way) I can lean way over and touch the other door.  So the cabs are not wider on the inside.  They might be wider on the outside.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the hell is the idea behind that  =(  :facepalm:

We used to ride four abreast in my 1973 K-20.  It was cozy, but I was young and single and the other three were gals  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »
Probably a used one with a conversion kit.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12503_8000_07.htm

Must be.

I didn't see a sticker, so I don't know what year it is, mileage, price, etc....

Looks pretty neat though...
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
I.....

don't know if I love it or hate it.

Part of me loves it.

Part of me wants to kill it with fire.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »
I.....

don't know if I love it or hate it.

Part of me loves it.

Part of me wants to kill it with fire.

Almost a Scrambler.

I'll be damned, a small sized pickup with 3/4-1ton cargo capacity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Comanche

I figured those Commaches were created to compete with the S-10s and Rangers.

In the mid 1980s, Toyota produced a 1 ton itty bitty pickup.

===========

I also have noticed the exteriors of PUs bloating.  High sides of beds, too.

And no more compact PUs, just GM, Nissan, and Toyota mid-size on the smaller end.

I miss my 1997 Nissan ext cab.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »
Do you really need a 3/4 ton truck when you are upgrading from a 1/4 ton truck?

I can tell you this. I would not buy a 1/2 ton pickup truck. I'd go at least 3/4 ton. At least. Simply because the *expletive deleted*ing makers like to put a weak ass *expletive deleted*ing tranny in the 1/2 tons. I could happily strangle some engineers.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 09:55:53 PM »

You can see this sort of trend happening on all vehicles. The doors and pillars are getting thicker for side impact crash worthiness.
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »
In the late 1980s and 1990s (1988-1999), Chevy and GMC downsized their "full-size" pickups.  My 1989 is six inches narrower than my 1976, to the point that my chainsaw toolbox will not fit inside the bed.  =(

In 2000 (IIRC) they started making them bigger again.  So they are just about back to 1960s/70s size.  But most pickups these days are extended or crew cabs which were very rare way back then.

Is your S1500 the same as an S-10 ??? Those are small pickups.  Must be a Missoula thing  :lol:

Nope, it is a regular old 1/2 ton short box extended cab where a sheet of plywood fits between the wheel wells.  The height is what I notice the most.  It used to be I could scan the parking lot and find my truck...  now I have to remember where I left it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 10:13:05 PM »
Nope, it is a regular old 1/2 ton short box extended cab where a sheet of plywood fits between the wheel wells.  The height is what I notice the most.  It used to be I could scan the parking lot and find my truck...  now I have to remember where I left it.

A lot of that is the 17, 18, and 20" wheels they are putting on everything now.  I don't get it.  I suspect there's a "See how big my feet are? Imagine how big my dick is" thing going on.

(BTW, I wear size 12 shoes, and 13's in athletic shoes)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »
I can tell you this. I would not buy a 1/2 ton pickup truck. I'd go at least 3/4 ton. At least. Simply because the *expletive deleted* makers like to put a weak ass *expletive deleted* tranny in the 1/2 tons. I could happily strangle some engineers.

A new f-150 Ford has a 10k towing capacity, I don't think a weakass transmission would stand up to that.

The couple half tons I owned didn't have a weakass transmission.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 11:28:47 PM »
A new f-150 Ford has a 10k towing capacity, I don't think a weakass transmission would stand up to that.

Yeah and my Chevy has a "6500lb towing capacity"...

But you'll rip the guts right out of the *expletive deleted* 4L60E if you do that though. I've learned some *expletive deleted* expensive lessons about what transmissions will and won't do.

I don't see a 1/2 ton pickup of any maker realistically towing 10k safely and reliably. Just because the makers say it will do something...remember they also like to make commercials showing a front end loader dumping a bucketful of gravel in the bed from a height, too.

3/4 ton. Accept no substitute. You'll get a proper heavy duty transmission and proper, heavy duty suspension. And when you encounter the situations that call for it, you'll be damned glad you have such.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:35:09 PM by Boomhauer »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 11:36:18 PM »
Yeah and my Chevy has a "6500lb towing capacity"...

But you'll rip the guts right out of the *expletive deleted* 4L60E if you do that though. I've learned some *expletive deleted* expensive lessons about what transmissions will and won't do.

I don't see a 1/2 ton pickup of any maker realistically towing 10k safely and reliably. Just because the makers say it will do something...remember they also like to make commercials showing a front end loader dumping a bucketful of gravel in the bed from a height, too.

3/4 ton. Accept no substitute.

My buddy pulls his 9500# camper (bumper pull) all over the place with a 2011 1/2 Dodge with no problem. He isn't easy on pulling either, he puts the foot down and goes.

Pickup trucks have changed a lot in the last 5-6 years, new trucks are not the trucks of old.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2013, 11:47:17 PM »
I'll stick with choosing overkill instead of "adequate according to the specs". Overkill never fails.

I think Dodge is the only maker putting an adequately sized truck transmission in their 1/2 tons (quality of said transmission is a different story, all the reports I've been getting is it can be a crapshoot). Personally I won't own a Dodge so I have no intention of finding out with my money.

Won't own another GM either.

The F-250s, 350s, and 450s I've had the pleasure of driving regularly have all been excellent. I think there is a reason that the heavier F series is commonly found in emergency service and in fleet service.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2013, 11:47:40 PM »

I used to do stuff like that to my old C20 :sniff:  I still miss that truck.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 01:06:34 AM »
I'll stick with choosing overkill instead of "adequate according to the specs". Overkill never fails.

I think Dodge is the only maker putting an adequately sized truck transmission in their 1/2 tons (quality of said transmission is a different story, all the reports I've been getting is it can be a crapshoot). Personally I won't own a Dodge so I have no intention of finding out with my money.

Won't own another GM either.

The F-250s, 350s, and 450s I've had the pleasure of driving regularly have all been excellent. I think there is a reason that the heavier F series is commonly found in emergency service and in fleet service.

All of the above pretty well summarize why I'm leaning toward Ford. But I can't/won't tolerate the extremely high sides on the bed, so unless I can lower the vehicle I ain't buyin'. I won't be taking it off-road, so I don't need huge amounts of suspension "articulation." I want to be able to reach over the side of the bed and pick up a can of paint. I'm not asking to be able to reach all the way to the other side, just down to the floor on the near side would do it. And be able to see what's in there without a periscope.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2013, 01:14:39 AM »
Get a flat bed

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2013, 01:23:41 AM »
I gather then, that the hive mind does not know whether or not a Ford F-250 4WD can be lowered to a reasonable height.

Bummer. My faith is shattered.