Author Topic: 9 or 40  (Read 13278 times)

zahc

• friend
9 or 40
« on: May 23, 2016, 02:24:48 PM »
My main social handgun is a M&P9c 9mm. I'm happy with it. It's reliable. It's a breeze to shoot and my wife's favorite handgun of mine to shoot. I'm accurate with it. It rusted, but I don't care.

I sometimes want something less brickish for hot-weather activities. I'm considering either a Shield/XDS. I bought a PF9 and it's fine but I'm pretty inaccurate with it and the recoil is so bad my wife won't touch it and I don't like shooting it either. So I just don't feel well-armed with it so I still carry my M&P9c.

When I bought the M&P I was in college and ammo cost was a factor in getting 9mm instead of .40. Now I have much less time to shoot to the point that ammo cost is not a factor. That, plus the fact that the guns hold less, says I should go .40 or even  .45 to compensate. But with the smaller gun, the recoil will be that much worse and it might be my PF9 all over again with inaccuracy and flinching. So I'm thinking about getting it in 9mm again but my Dad is like ".40 is a serious round and 9mm is a pea shooter, and with the shorter barrel, its gonna be even wimpier."

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: 9 or 40
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:31:33 PM »
Basically, what I gather from those who actually know ballistic details, with the defensive rounds avalible, both will do the job just fine. It basically just comes down to which recoil you like (I'm a bozo, I actually prefer .40)

FWIW, my Dad used to be all about .40... In the 90's, when there actually was a difference. These days, he's largely gone back to either 9 or .45's.
Tell your Dad that you'd prefer higher capacity to 40 Short and Whimpy. Watch him get mad.  >:D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 02:43:11 PM »
Tell your Dad that you'd prefer higher capacity to 40 Short and Whimpy Slow and Weak.

FTFY

aka as 10mm lite   ;)

bob

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »
Personally I rode the 40 train for awhile and am now in one of those ammo for a gun I don't have scenarios since I sold or traded off my 40 cal guns and all defensive handguns are 9mm.

So if I want a step up it'll be 45. IMO the advantage to 40 is negligible enough to not matter. Nothing wrong with it it just doesn't have much if any in my opinion.

That said I've also been in the market for something smaller to carry around than my normal glock 19, and just in time for consideration S&W has debuted a 45acp shield. So I'll be holding off a bit till they come to market and others can be Guinea pigs.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 02:56:02 PM »
My main social handgun is a M&P9c 9mm. I'm happy with it. It's reliable. It's a breeze to shoot and my wife's favorite handgun of mine to shoot. I'm accurate with it. It rusted, but I don't care.

I sometimes want something less brickish for hot-weather activities. I'm considering either a Shield/XDS. I bought a PF9 and it's fine but I'm pretty inaccurate with it and the recoil is so bad my wife won't touch it and I don't like shooting it either. So I just don't feel well-armed with it so I still carry my M&P9c.

When I bought the M&P I was in college and ammo cost was a factor in getting 9mm instead of .40. Now I have much less time to shoot to the point that ammo cost is not a factor. That, plus the fact that the guns hold less, says I should go .40 or even  .45 to compensate. But with the smaller gun, the recoil will be that much worse and it might be my PF9 all over again with inaccuracy and flinching. So I'm thinking about getting it in 9mm again but my Dad is like ".40 is a serious round and 9mm is a pea shooter, and with the shorter barrel, its gonna be even wimpier."
B

Pick one.

I shot an XDS40 a few weeks ago.  It wasn't too bad.  Current Internet herd mind consensus tends to favor a 9mm "hail of lead" strategy, and whine about how hard .40 is to shoot.  Your personal mileage may very well vary.  Folks will argue the differences endlessly.   Will having 15 rounds of 9 on tap make a difference, if 12 rounds of .40 wouldn't?  Whatever.  I'm tired of it.  And I shoot my .40s plenty fast.

Summertime lately, I've started carrying again my XD.40 Subcompact.  The summertime "vibrant social scene" is ramping up. Same hight and length, fatter and heavier  than my XDS.  And easier to shoot well.  9 round short magazine, 12 round regular.  Beats 7 and 9, in the XDS.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:59:36 PM »
I own subcompacts in 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP.  Of the three, .40S&W is by far the nastiest to shoot out of a little pistol.  Were I to buy a new itty bitty pistol, I would look at 9mm or .380ACP.  A small frame revo in .38spl loaded with tgt wadcutters is also an option that won't recoil like a beast.

The KT PF9 is a very light & small package.  Anything in that neighborhood size or mass wise is going to kick.  My neighbor's was tolerable (for me) with 115-124 non+P, but got nasty with 147gr or +P.  I just don't think you will find something that size in 9mm or larger that your wife will tolerate.  The SIG P938 is in the neighborhood, weight-wise, but is a lot easier to shoot well.  Still kicks.  The SIG P238 is the .380ACP version.  Might even have to go .32ACP to get something tha small your wife will tolerate.  I had to (KT P32).

I know you are not looking for a brick, but the Glock 43 single stack 9mm might be a step in the right direction.  Glocks do have a noticeable (to me) effect that dampens felt recoil.  Same applies to the S&W Shield. 

Good luck, but the physics of the situation darned near dictate the results.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:06:51 PM »
Get a .40 and a 9mm conversion barrel.  Best of both worlds.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 03:08:15 PM »
A 9 vs .40 debate on APS?

AWESOME!!!!

;/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 03:25:31 PM »

AWESOME!!!!

;/

Yes, when I saw the thread title, my first thought was:

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 03:28:49 PM »

AWESOME!!!!
 ;/

Proof that the community standards are slipping.  In true gun fora fashion I reply that the only correct choices are 10mm or .45.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 03:37:19 PM »
.40 S&W is a dying, soon to be obsolete, chambering.  
May as well go,with a .41 avenger.
And while I'm in troll mode,
10mm is best mm.
7-11 was a part time job.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 03:56:27 PM »
Not a fan of the .40, but that's just my opinion...I do like 9mms however. I also like .45s.
I either saw it here or on the book of face just recently that S&W is coming out with a .45 Shield- same capacity as the 9mm.

Oddly enough, I'm really tempted to go the other way- from a M&P shield to a M&P9C or Glock 19, and just use a J-frame for my summer speedo gun.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 04:06:34 PM »
40 of Ole E please
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 04:14:49 PM »
40 of Ole E please

*ahem* That's "fotay"...
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 04:18:07 PM »
*ahem* That's "fotay"...

Only if it's in a Glock being used by an "undercover" DEA agent to teach gun safety to grammar school kids.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 04:18:29 PM »
If you are like me, deadly accurate and speedy too, even in the sideways mode, the .22MM is the only weapon. :rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »
Pick one.

I shot an XDS40 a few weeks ago.  It wasn't too bad.  Current Internet herd mind consensus tends to favor a 9mm "hail of lead" strategy, and whine about how hard .40 is to shoot.  Your personal mileage may very well vary.  Folks will argue the differences endlessly.   Will having 15 rounds of 9 on tap make a difference, if 12 rounds of .40 wouldn't?  Whatever.  I'm tired of it.  And I shoot my .40s plenty fast.

Summertime lately, I've started carrying again my XD.40 Subcompact.  The summertime "vibrant social scene" is ramping up. Same hight and length, fatter and heavier  than my XDS.  And easier to shoot well.  9 round short magazine, 12 round regular.  Beats 7 and 9, in the XDS.

lee, just face it. We are the .40 weirdos. Let them have their 9mm and leave all the .40 S&W for us.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »
I just picked up an XD Mod 2 3.3 in 45 ACP.  I love it.  Very light recoil even with the compact magazines.  IWB holster on the way as it will be my new carry gun.

I just find it odd that you refer to an M&P 9c as a brick.  Might as well go with a good 380 if you really want something light and easy to handle.  I would NOT recommend the KT PF9.  I heard some of Rugers SR9 models have very good triggers.  I am not sure about some of the other compact 9 mm pistols.  The XDS or Shield are probably the only ones still affordable.  I just heard an FFL I know tell me his cost for an XDS is a little over $400.  

As for 40, I have migrated away from it.  I still have a few guns that shoot it, but I won't buy anything else in that caliber.  I just don't like the recoil.  I either use 9mm or 45 ACP now.  The recoil isn't real bad, I just prefer shooting 9mm or 45 at the range. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »
If you are like me, deadly accurate and speedy too, even in the sideways mode, the .22MM is the only weapon. :rofl:

If your goal is snake defense, I would agree.  The 22 mag shot shells are great.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 04:36:51 PM »
I would NOT recommend the KT PF9.

I heard used ones really appreciate in value.  >:D

Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »
I either saw it here or on the book of face just recently that S&W is coming out with a .45 Shield- same capacity as the 9mm.

If I remember correctly, the .45 has a lower capacity (though a higher capacity of awesome). I don't know what the 9mm version carries, but I recall distinctly that the .45 holds 6 in the flush magazine, and 7 in the longer version.

zahc, in my inexpert opinion, you may as well stick with the point-nine-millimeter. You and your wife are both used to it. Having the best (most effective, most accurate) self-defense cartridge is probably more crucial than adding an extra millimeter. This advice is worth the price.

Also:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/shot-show-2016/first-look-federal-hst-9mm-micro/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 04:48:25 PM »

If I remember correctly, the .45 has a lower capacity (though a higher capacity of awesome). I don't know what the 9mm version carries, but I recall distinctly that the .45 holds 6 in the flush magazine, and 7 in the longer version.

zahc, in my inexpert opinion, you may as well stick with the point-nine-millimeter. You and your wife are both used to it. Having the best (most effective, most accurate) self-defense cartridge is probably more crucial than adding an extra millimeter. This advice is worth the price.

Also:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/shot-show-2016/first-look-federal-hst-9mm-micro/

You are right 7&8 rd for the M&P 9mm. Then again, I always carry mine with the flush mags, I also might be the last person on earth who carries a 1911 with 7-rd mags too..

Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »
Friends of mine picked up a S&W .40 after shooting my .45.  His wife hated it so much she made him sell it, they have since bought multiple versions of the 9mm and are quite content.
I'm not a fan of the .40 recoil.  Seems snappy compared to the 9mm and .45.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 04:52:31 PM »
I still shoot the 40 because it easily makes USPSA major and has a higher capacity than 45. If that wasn't in the picture, I'd probably switch to 9mm.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »
The 9c is a good gun and not too big but it's more the width-to-height ratio that makes it brickish than just the width. Maybe a better holster would help but why pass up the urge to buy a new gun? I actually would prefer if the Shield was just as long and tall as the 9c but just had the thinness.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine