Author Topic: Cashiers check or Cash ?  (Read 2466 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Cashiers check or Cash ?
« on: January 23, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »

Expect to get about $7500 soon for a car ... what's safer Cashier's check or Cash  :old:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Cashiers check or Cash ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »
Well,  if you get it in cash it will make it easier for you to give me some. =D

:rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 07:16:18 PM »
Last car we bought, we negotiated the deal (used car at a Ford dealership), shook hands, and ran down to the bank to get a cashier's check in the agreed upon amout while they washed the car and prepped the paperwork.  Made the paperwork a lot fatster with no loan paperwork.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:16:34 PM »
Cash.   Cashier's check can be faked much easier than cash.  
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 07:24:30 PM »
Less of a paper trail with cash.  [tinfoil]

(never mind the title & registration - .gov can't trace that.   ;)   )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 07:42:16 PM »
Cash.

But speaking of [qualifier] checks, are traveler's cheques still a thing? And how do they work? I pretty much only know about them because of Office Space.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:51:29 PM »
I haven't seen a traveler's cheque in nearly 15 years.  One of the previous companies I worked for (forget which) was fond of using them for spot bonuses. 

Chris

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »
Cash. The amount is under the threshold for bank mandatory reporting.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
Cash. The amount is under the threshold for bank mandatory reporting.

Yeah. that way they can accuse you of gaming the system to get by the reporting requirement and seize the cash anyway.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 09:18:57 PM »
Yes, and that way the cash itself is a criminal and will remain in custody until the cash can hire a lawyer and beat the rap.  I guess the cash gets one free phone call, though.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »
Cash.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 11:01:26 PM »
Cash.

Under $10k, cash.

Over $10k, cashiers check or wire transfer. I have to call the bank on the check with the buyer present to make sure it is legit.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 03:28:38 AM »
What exactly do we mean by "safer"?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 04:28:32 AM »
I took almost $13k in cash for a car earlier this year.  No biggie.  I did invest in one of those little pens that you draw on bills and they are black or gold.

With the ubiquitous nature of computer graphics editing these days I wouldn't take a bank check unless I was at the bank that issued it and they confirmed it.  Too easy to make one.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
A mix of chickens, goats, and sheep.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 06:46:56 AM »
What about camels?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 06:52:08 AM »
What about camels?

Cigarettes aren't as good of a cash-value asset as they used to be.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 07:20:00 AM »
Cigarettes aren't as good of a cash-value asset as they used to be.

They are in prison.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »
What about camels?

Their toes might get me excited.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 07:48:31 AM »
Does no one use gold-pressed latinum anymore?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 08:40:10 AM »
They are in prison.

When you're able to sit down again you'll have to tell us how that works...   :O

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »
Does no one use gold-pressed latinum anymore?

Drazi Freehold Toks are the better value.

I'd take the cash. If you're worried about the amount you put in the bank, keep a couple or a few thousand at home in a safe and use it over the next year for groceries, etc. That said, I've deposited over $10K lots of times over the years and the IRS has not once said "boo".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
Grab the keys and run.  That way you can bypass all the paperwork and a trip to the bank.

Oops, misread the OP.  You are the seller, not the buyer.  In that case, grab the cash, hop in the car and drive away.  That way you can bypass all the paperwork and a trip to the bank.  And you still have the car to sell again.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 02:30:21 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
It doesn't matter how much cash you receive for selling something.  You don't have to deposit it all at the same time or at all.  If you do, just keep records of the sale.  I've deposited larger amounts of cash many times.  Just because the banks have to report it, there is no reason for that to trigger any government scrutiny.

Cash is still king in my view.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
Sorry, read the OP wrong.  In your shoes, knowing what I know, I'd probably ask for the cashier's check.  Yes, they can be faked, but I've seen a lot of good counterfeit cash of late, using the same scanners, software, and printers you can use to fake the check.  And there's a method for people to treat the money so that it reacts to the pens in a similar fashion to real cash (no, I won't tell you how). 

Probably the best option is to agree to a check, meet at your bank, and turn over the keys and title after the bank has run the check (so long as the computers are running, the bank should be able to verify it is a good check pretty quickly).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark