Author Topic: "that's not what they planned"--woman sues college over joblessness  (Read 7633 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: "that's not what they planned"--woman sues college over joblessness
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »
2.7 GPA is still above average.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Reifen

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 07:24:28 PM »
I went into a History major knowing I'd probably never get rich with it.  And I'm ok with that.

Anyone who goes into a History major or English or Philosophy with dollar signs in their eyes is totally delusional.

myrockfight

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »
Her degree is "Bachelor of Business Administration." Let's face it, that's just one step above degrees that end in the word "Studies."

Wow. Really? Because if you want to be a manager, accountant, etc. at my school, that was your official label of your major that was on your diploma. If you are planning on going into business, what major would you suggest people get?  :rolleyes:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 09:47:05 PM »
There's a reason I'm going Active Duty when I finish my Bachelors.

That or apply for one of the accelerated nursing school programs.

Might want to talk to a recruiter now.  The army has all kinds of neat programs that pay for college, especially medical field ones. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 06:48:08 AM »
An English Psychology degree is worthless if your immediate purpose is to obtain a high-paying job.  An English Psychology degree does indeed have value, but its value is not preparing one for a lucrative, in-demand career.  For that you need training, not education.

Fixed it for me (and everyone else in my field)...  :laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 08:28:05 AM »
In English Studies, you are at least supposed to learn things. That these are not marketable things is no fault of the universities teaching it.
I merely dispute the implication by some posters here that English Studies is somehow worthless.
Hmmm . . . looks like I touched a raw nerve here. I was actually thinking of degrees in "Women's Studies" and "Black Studies" and so forth and so on, and didn't realize "English Studies" was distinct from "English" . . . though holders of English degrees have limited prospects outside academic circles.

BUT . . . since the worth of a person's labor is determined, in large part, by the value of the highest bidder for it in a free competitive market, looking at your posts I'd have to say that "Not Marketable" is very close to "Worthless." If you're going to assert that "Not Marketable" does not correlate with "Worthless" . . . then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Wow. Really? Because if you want to be a manager, accountant, etc. at my school, that was your official label of your major that was on your diploma. If you are planning on going into business, what major would you suggest people get?  :rolleyes:
Re-read my post - I noted that someone with a BBA is going to be competing with a lot of people who have MBAs out there. And I'll expand by noting that quite a few MBAs have degrees in law, science, engineering, accounting, etc., as well. A person with less than stellar grades and "only" a BBA is at a disadvantage.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 08:32:44 AM »
I went into a History major knowing I'd probably never get rich with it.  And I'm ok with that.

Anyone who goes into a History major or English or Philosophy with dollar signs in their eyes is totally delusional.

I worked with a guy in the FAA who was a Herpetologist.  And I quote
"Best I could have hoped for was changing snake #### out of cages at the zoo for ten bucks an hour.  So I became a controller."
 :lol:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 09:11:20 AM »

IMO, just the idea that she filed this lawsuit shows me that she wouldn't be someone I would want to hire.  

Indeed.  I think she has hurt her chances at future employment with this lawsuit. It's SOP at many HR departments to google people's names to look for some dirt.

In today's culture of grade inflation, a C+ average is pretty pathetic.  Especially in a BBA program.   
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 10:31:50 AM »
I was a history major, as well.

Contemplated law school.

Decided to become a writer/editor instead.

No, I'll never be rich, but I'm doing well for myself.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 10:43:34 AM »
Indeed.  I think she has hurt her chances at future employment with this lawsuit. It's SOP at many HR departments to google people's names to look for some dirt.
I don't know about Google, but our company does an automatic background check on all new employees before they are hired.  I certainly don't doubt that something like this would hurt her in the future.

It sounded like her family has been helping her get through college with student loans and such that are now coming due and they can't pay it unless she has a job.  I just get the impression she picked the wrong major if she was looking for a good paying career.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 11:08:15 AM »
I just get the impression she picked the wrong major if she was looking for a good paying career.

Not really. Lots of people have done well with a BBA, myself included. I think it's more that she performed poorly and doesn't understand the job search process. Not to mention the entitlement mentality and apparent laziness.

Admittedly, in the current market, a BBA will have trouble competing against MBAs, but that's also true for other fields of study. Graduates with a BS in engineering are competing against more candidates with an MS.

No, her major is not the problem. She is the problem.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2009, 11:25:06 AM »

Anyone who thinks 2.7 is decent hasn't witnessed modern grade inflation. You have to work to do that badly. I got a 3.67 in undergrad in a hard major and spent most of my time working and skateboarding.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »
Anyone who thinks 2.7 is decent hasn't witnessed modern grade inflation. You have to work to do that badly. I got a 3.67 in undergrad in a hard major and spent most of my time working and skateboarding.
Not all universities participate in the grade inflation fraud.  I know mine didn't, and maybe hers didn't either.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 12:42:17 PM »
Not all universities participate in the grade inflation fraud.  I know mine didn't, and maybe hers didn't either.

I don't believe mine did either because when my classes were hard, they were hard to everyone in the class.  Quantitative Methods was a beyotch in undergrad and again in Grad school. 

I did have some throwaway classes though.  Every marketing class I took with a certain professor was a guaranteed "A" (for anyone who tried, those who didn't even bother to try got lower grades, Bs, Cs and such).

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »
she further proves her "worth" by not getting the clue when no lawyer will take your case on contingency its cause the case is a dog.  smart she ain't
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 01:00:19 AM »
Not all knowledge is supposed to be marketable. History and Philosophy are not marketable either.

I have my BA in Philosophy.  I got a lot of interviews because, at the very least, recruiters wanted to ask me what I could do with a Philosophy degree.  :lol:

And I told them the truth: "I learned that I know nothing, and that the key to learning is to ask the right questions, not to think you have the answers just because you have a degree.  I have nothing I have to unlearn".

This has gotten me hired many times. 
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.