Author Topic: Can anyone explain this?  (Read 7634 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Can anyone explain this?
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »
http://www.weaselzippers.net/blog/2010/03/have-any-spare-12-gage-shotguns-if-so-the-department-of-education-would-like-to-buy-them.html

The U.S. Department of Education (ED) intends to purchase twenty-seven (27) REMINGTON BRAND MODEL 870 POLICE 12/14P MOD GRWC XS4 KXCS SF. RAMAC #24587 GAUGE: 12 BARREL: 14" - PARKERIZED CHOKE: MODIFIED SIGHTS: GHOST RING REAR WILSON COMBAT; FRONT - XS CONTOUR BEAD SIGHT STOCK: KNOXX REDUCE RECOIL ADJUSTABLE STOCK FORE-END: SPEEDFEED SPORT-SOLID - 14" LOP are designated as the only shotguns authorized for ED based on compatibility with ED existing shotgun inventory, certified armor and combat training and protocol, maintenance, and parts.

The required date of delivery is March 22, 2010.

Why is the Department of Education purchasing shotguns?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Can anyone explain this?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:33:51 PM »
If they want them to be compatible with existing inventory, the better question is why do they have shotguns to begin with?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »
Major WTF moment.

EXISTING shotgun inventory?
COMBAT TRAINING?
CERTIFIED ARMOR?

For the Dept of Education?
Does the NEA got a SWAT team or something?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:30:11 PM »
I hear some kids are really unruly these days.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:31 PM »
Does anyone have a "mainstream" link to verify this.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 10:39:20 PM »
Why is the Department of Education purchasing shotguns?

Kids need motivation? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:39:33 PM »
either i'm having a confused day, or the world has just gotten even more stranger then fiction lately.

dept. edu needs shotguns  ???
 [tinfoil]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Nick1911

• Administrator

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 10:48:59 PM »
Yep. Good enough to make me scratch my head and actually start to get a little worried.

Kind of like every soldier/Marine is a rifleman first, maybe every Fed employee is a "totin" Federal Agent now.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

BMacklem

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 01:04:38 AM »
That is ummm......disturbing.
Just told my wife, and she said "Watch..it'll turn out to be a hoax or something." To which I replied "This is right from their own website."

Maybe all those paranoid tin-foil hat people aren't all that far off base.
This is just another example of inexcusable federal waste.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 02:42:58 AM »
Practically all FedGov agencies have some LE arm, IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if the National Weather Service has their own SWAT team.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 07:52:40 AM »
The ONLY thing I can think of as to why the Dept. of Ed needs armed agents would be to serve warrants for misuse/embezzlement of fed.gov education funds.

And then why not just have the U.S. Marshalls or the FBI do it?  =|
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »
The ONLY thing I can think of as to why the Dept. of Ed needs armed agents would be to serve warrants for misuse/embezzlement of fed.gov education funds.

Turfing.  The more hats you wear, the more important your agency is, and the more funds you can embezzle from the taxpayers for your .gov.  The more power you have as a secretary of, undersecretary of, or director of.  The more clout you wield around DC. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »
I read on another gun board USDA poultry inspectors pack a heater.  There may be a reason but I can not arrive at it through the exercise of logic.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »
You have to fill out a 27B/8 if you want an armed response from another agency.

It's much easier to unleash your own ninjas
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:14:29 PM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »

IMO, that is the way it should be, but is not.  I guess it is one more example how the primary goal of bureaucracy is to maintain/expand the bureaucracy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »
One thing that's always pissed me off about various branches of government has been competition.
There really shouldn't be anything but complete cooperation and friendliness between every organization.
If there are two doing the same task and they really do have to compete for funds, then one of them is redundant and needs to be removed.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 12:56:19 PM »
After a bit of searching, teh Department of Education maintains it's own law enfrcement branch through the Office of the Inspector General.  These Special Agents are tasked with investigating crimes that fall under the education laws, like civil rights violations, fraud, theft, etc.  These are fully sworn federal leos, graduates of FLETC.  As such, they can be armed.

That said, I have to agree thatI don't understand why every federal agency has it's own enforcement branch with armed officers/agents.  Why not just increase the size of the big boys (FBI, US Marshall's, etc.) and expand their authority to cover these areas.  Seems to me all of this duplication is a waste of tax dollars...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »
Department of Re-Education, maybe ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »
After a bit of searching, teh Department of Education maintains it's own law enforcement branch through the Office of the Inspector General.  These Special Agents are tasked with investigating crimes that fall under the education laws, like civil rights violations, fraud, theft, etc.  These are fully sworn federal leos, graduates of FLETC.  As such, they can be armed.

Anyone find that downright creepy?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 01:40:38 PM »
Anyone find that downright creepy?

Wow, when our resident "Black" helicopter agent calls it creepy...

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
Dark Green.  =D

Also, I find it amusing, like in one of Nightcrawler's stories about how he sold a bunch of AKMs to the AARP Enforcement Squad.  :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »
Wow, when our resident "Black" helicopter agent calls it creepy...

I am not nor have I ever been an agent of any law enforcement or intelligence agency of the US government.  I am merely a humble peddler of dark green helicopters.

Dark Green.  =D

Also, I find it amusing, like in one of Nightcrawler's stories about how he sold a bunch of AKMs to the AARP Enforcement Squad.  :laugh:

SEE?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 02:57:11 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »
I am not nor have I ever been an [img=http://www.revdisk.org/projects/jtm/MatrixFinal.jpg]http://agent[/img] of any law enforcement or intelligence agency of the US government.  I am merely a humble peddler of dark green helicopters.

SEE?

Meh, potato, potahto...  :lol:

Can I use "associate"?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »
After a bit of searching, teh Department of Education maintains it's own law enfrcement branch through the Office of the Inspector General.  These Special Agents are tasked with investigating crimes that fall under the education laws, like civil rights violations, fraud, theft, etc.  These are fully sworn federal leos, graduates of FLETC.  As such, they can be armed.
I see a potential problem here . . . if someone with a gun and a badge is wearing a raid jacket that says "FBI" or "US Marshall" then people will know they're police; but if they're wearing something that says "DOE" (Department of Education?) or "HHS" (Homer High School?) and come brandishing guns . . . bad things can happen.

Seriously, unless you have military experience or happen to watch a particular TV show, how would you know what the heck an "NCIS" is?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain