Author Topic: Can anyone explain this?  (Read 7633 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Can anyone explain this?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 03:36:06 PM »
I see a potential problem here . . . if someone with a gun and a badge is wearing a raid jacket that says "FBI" or "US Marshall" then people will know they're police; but if they're wearing something that says "DOE" (Department of Education?) or "HHS" (Homer High School?) and come brandishing guns . . . bad things can happen.

Seriously, unless you have military experience or happen to watch a particular TV show, how would you know what the heck an "NCIS" is?

If I see armed navy blue windbreakers that say "DOE" on them running around, I'm thinking "Department of Energy", and am going to be crapping my pants, and wondering if I should have bought that bottle of KI pills and Geiger counter after all.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »
If I see armed navy blue windbreakers that say "DOE" on them running around, I'm thinking "Department of Energy", and am going to be crapping my pants, and wondering if I should have bought that bottle of KI pills and Geiger counter after all.

That would be my first impression as well.  Now if I saw folks I thought were the real DOE with bloody friggin tac shotguns, I'd set new land speed records getting out of the area.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »
That would be my first impression as well.  Now if I saw folks I thought were the real DOE with bloody friggin tac shotguns, I'd set new land speed records getting out of the area.

AGREED!  :O
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »

Ditto.  My first thought was Department of Energy.  What does that say about us?  :lol:

I'd be piping the contents of my server's raid array into sdelete for good measure, then do the disappearing trick.  (Truecrypt containers are good, but CYA and all that.)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
I still say they have shotguns for when kids need extra motivation.  :police:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 12:41:13 AM »
you want tinfoil, i got your tinfoil right here. [tinfoil]

i normally don't talk about such things, much less post them. but just a few things to think about.

take a scrap of paper wright down 18 random digits, in social security format what do you have?
in hexadecimal how many different numbers are we looking at?
now in base 36? and thanks to these credit cards with rfid chips readers are popping up everywhere. [popcorn]

well that's it for your weekly trip through the twilight zone. =D

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 06:09:59 AM »
Anyone find that downright creepy?

Can be armed, I don't have a problem with; who knows where they're going to have to go to investigate something.  Outfitted like a SWAT team at taxpayer expense is getting just plain stupid.  Give 'em each one M9 (maybe a smaller option for those who don't have large paws) and authorization to carry whatever personally-owned weapons they want.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 06:13:46 AM »
I'd be piping the contents of my server's raid array into sdelete for good measure,

As opposed to physically piping the array itself into your thermite-filled real-life equivalent of /dev/null ?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »
As opposed to physically piping the array itself into your thermite-filled real-life equivalent of /dev/null ?

or just shoot the thing. or this looks like fun. [popcorn]

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 04:38:41 PM »

Arrays ain't cheap.  If it is not in immediate danger of compromise, securely overwriting your files is a lot better idea.  Thermite, and a bypass to dump oxyacetylene instead of Halon 1301, is for special guests. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Paddy2010

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2010, 01:54:22 AM »
And why are you quoting something from 'weasalzippers.net'?   Or do you just believe anything that you manage to be able to read?

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
Paddy, look up there in the URL bar. See the second word in the title of the website? Try that.
D. R. ZINN

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »
I read on another gun board USDA poultry inspectors pack a heater.  There may be a reason but I can not arrive at it through the exercise of logic.
Zombie chickens?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 12:09:51 PM »
And why are you quoting something from 'weasalzippers.net'?   Or do you just believe anything that you manage to be able to read?
Good to see you're keeping it classy. ;/

Try looking into things before flaming others. A very quick google search results in this same document on a .gov site:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=cb68cf9f3fa2fe18a83d1c3dee0039b2&tab=core&_cview=0

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 12:24:36 PM »
Never mind google, that link was posted in this very thread.
D. R. ZINN

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2010, 02:38:01 AM »
The title at the top of that web page is "Fedbizopps.gov".  I thought it was a hoax, but it seems to check out.   What the (#)$ has become of us?  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife