Author Topic: Remember the preacher that wanted to burn the Koran?  (Read 7658 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Remember the preacher that wanted to burn the Koran?
« on: April 02, 2011, 06:30:28 PM »
Well, he actually did it about two weeks ago, and it hasn't been a big news story. Except in Afghanistan, where 12 people were murdered.

http://www.cbs12.com/news/afghanistan-4731736-protesters-quran.html

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/27401839/detail.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cambeul41

• friend
Re: Remember the preacher that wanted to burn the Koran?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:19:17 PM »
I find “Reverend” Terry Jones and his Quran burning, so-called Christian co-conspirators  and the murderous Muslims to all be loathsome.

My contempt is not for good Christians or good Muslims. (I was for 26 years married into a Thai-Chinese Muslim family, all of whom were fine people.)
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »
I find “Reverend” Terry Jones and his Quran burning, so-called Christian co-conspirators  and the murderous Muslims to all be loathsome.

My contempt is not for good Christians or good Muslims.

I quite agree. And though it doesn't bring back the twelve dead, I'll add that the folks down in Florida are less loathsome than those who did the killing.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »
Let them kill each other over someone else burning a stupid book in a different country.
It just shows the true level of there intelligence.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:43:11 PM »
Let them kill each other over someone else burning a stupid book in a different country.
It just shows the true level of their intelligence.

Or their lack of value for human life.

Killing people over a burned book?  Savages.  =|

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 12:48:32 AM »
It just shows the true level of there intelligence.

Most of the deceased were foreigners in the employ of the U.N., so they're not exactly killing "each other." 

tincat2

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 01:40:01 AM »
why doesn't this 'preacher' go to a muslim country and do his act there?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 01:42:28 AM »

I think somebody here was giving away frequent flyer miles...

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »

Because that would be, quite frankly, idiotic in the extreme and he'd likely be dead.
Look, tiny text!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
Last week, Afghan President Hamid Karzai issued a statement calling the burning a "crime against a religion." He denounced it as a "disrespectful and abhorrent act" and called on the U.S. and the United Nations to bring to justice those who burned the holy book and issue a response to Muslims around the world. 

:facepalm:

Anyone else find this statement bothersome?  It wasn't too long ago that a french fashion designer was charged with the actual crime of racisim, for making racial remarks in public.

Hate crime will become thought crime.  It will become illegal to say certain things against certain religions or peoples.  Mark my words.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 11:34:52 AM »
I thinks folk actions pretty much speak for themselves.

In the Muslim world:

Terry Jones burned a Koran, thereby showing he is insensitive to Muslim sensibilities.

Afghanis hear about it then riot and murder, showing they are savages who ought to be killed like mad dogs.

In the West:

Some dude  burns/pisses on/otherwise desecrates a Bible, showing he is insensitive to Christian sensibilities.

Given it is so common, likely nobody hears about it unless the media wants to rub Christian noses in it.

Christians get upset, say so, and also say the pisser is a jerk.

Some atheists make FSM jokes and ridicule the Christians for being uncoool.

Nobody gets killed.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 11:51:27 AM »
I thinks folk actions pretty much speak for themselves.

In the Muslim world:

Terry Jones burned a Koran, thereby showing he is insensitive to Muslim sensibilities.

Afghanis hear about it then riot and murder, showing they are savages who ought to be killed like mad dogs.

Their President calls for freedom of expressive speech of westerners in a country 12,000 miles away be curbed by the UN, so as not to offend their savage ways.
In the West:

Some dude  burns/pisses on/otherwise desecrates a Bible, showing he is insensitive to Christian sensibilities.

Given it is so common, likely nobody hears about it unless the media wants to rub Christian noses in it.

Nobody gets killed.

FTFY.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
In the West:

Some Christians laugh along with it, to show they're cool.

Nobody gets killed.

Remedied that for you.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 12:19:54 PM »
Bravo, JJ & fistful.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 01:04:31 PM »
A group of idiots + another group of idiots = two groups of idiots.  What can you say about what idiots do...other than, "the idiots are doing it again"?

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
Because that would be, quite frankly, idiotic in the extreme and he'd likely be dead.
Given how idiotic this stunt is to begin with, going the extra moron mile (or 12000 of them) would be quite fitting.

I am getting seriously fed up with people who want to fight for a cause, but only on the condition that they don't have to do any actual fighting. You want to teach the heathens something? Go to them. That's what those old-timey missionaries did. More than a few of them became martyrs, but that's the price of admission.

Burning a book in the safety of your own back yard is stupid, cowardly, and, given how predictable the response is, downright evil. If some enterprising jihadist happens to meet up with Mr. Jones I will not be particularly saddened.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »
You want to teach the heathens something? Go to them. That's what those old-timey missionaries did. More than a few of them became martyrs, but that's the price of admission.

They're still doing it, and some of them still end up martyrs. Real martyrs, of course; not martyr complex dolts like Mr. Jones.

"Going the extra moron mile..." I resemble that remark, but it is definitely sig-worthy.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »
Given how idiotic this stunt is to begin with, going the extra moron mile (or 12000 of them) would be quite fitting.

I am getting seriously fed up with people who want to fight for a cause, but only on the condition that they don't have to do any actual fighting. You want to teach the heathens something? Go to them. That's what those old-timey missionaries did. More than a few of them became martyrs, but that's the price of admission.

Burning a book in the safety of your own back yard is stupid, cowardly, and, given how predictable the response is, downright evil. If some enterprising jihadist happens to meet up with Mr. Jones I will not be particularly saddened.

I think this is sort of tangential to your argument but it is pretty tasteless to equate people that willingly put their lives on the line to spread the Gospel with someone making a tasteless, low risk political (?) point.

Also, you have to put your life at risk before you can exercise free speech now?

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »
I think this is sort of tangential to your argument but it is pretty tasteless to equate people that willingly put their lives on the line to spread the Gospel with someone making a tasteless, low risk political (?) point.
I did not at all equate them. Either I was unclear, or you misunderstand. They are doing it right. Jones is doing it wrong. He is hiding in safety behind the backs of soldiers and, what's worse, is willingly putting other people at risk for his beliefs.

Also, you have to put your life at risk before you can exercise free speech now?
No. However, putting the lives of others at risk to exercise your right to free speech is a crappy thing to do.  Personal responsibility and teaching by example are concepts Mr. Jones would do well to get acquainted with.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »
Pyro Pastor is not in any way responsible for anyone's deaths.  Look to the savages who committed the murders to fix blame.

If, someplace in the US of A, Somedude said "Look, some wogs in BFEistan are burning Old Glory!  Quick, let us go out and murder us some local wogs!" and then proceeded to kill them some local wogs in a rage, the responsibility for the murders lies at Somedude's feet.

To think otherwise is to assume foreigners have no moral agency.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 10:02:41 PM »
http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/117927/

Post well worth your time  ^^^.  I couldn't make it up if I tried.

Did you know that Harry Reid and Lindsey Graham want to impose restrictions on speech that hurts religious people's feelings? 

Glenn ends with this:
"We’re led by cowards and fools. But at least by opening their mouths, they removed all doubt."
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »
Yawn.

Another ahole along the likes of that Phelps creature.   

A pox on both of them.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 04:34:01 PM »
Pyro Pastor is not in any way responsible for anyone's deaths.  Look to the savages who committed the murders to fix blame.

If, someplace in the US of A, Somedude said "Look, some wogs in BFEistan are burning Old Glory!  Quick, let us go out and murder us some local wogs!" and then proceeded to kill them some local wogs in a rage, the responsibility for the murders lies at Somedude's feet.

To think otherwise is to assume foreigners have no moral agency.
I think Pyro Pastor's actions are childish . . . and protected under the 1st Amendment.

But pointing the finger at him for overseas Moslem mayhem, and the actions contmplated by Harry Reid and Lindsey Graham, is an indication that political correctness has crossed the line into dhimmitude, and it's becoming deeply ingrained.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 05:03:19 PM »
All this just leaves me wondering -- what do Moslems do with Bibles when they overrun Christian schools and facilities? Do they treat the Christian Bible with the same respect they demand for the Q'uran, or do they burn, tear up, shoot, trample and otherwise sully the Christian holy book?

If they do any of the above, they have no right to complain when anyone does it to THEIR holy book.

And, lest anyone claim that the Moslem holy book is somehow more holy and more sacred than the Christian holy book, I was raised in a fairly ordinary, run-of-the-mill Christian family. No raving fundamentalists, no "Bible thumpers," no missionaries. My mother was Episcopal, my father was Congregationalist. And we were raised that nothing superseded the Bible. If a bunch of books were stacked on a table, nothing could be placed on top of the Bible.

I think that approach would probably cover trampling in mud, etc.

Just another example of why the "Religion of Peace" ... isn't.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
All this just leaves me wondering -- what do Moslems do with Bibles when they overrun Christian schools and facilities? Do they treat the Christian Bible with the same respect they demand for the Q'uran, or do they burn, tear up, shoot, trample and otherwise sully the Christian holy book?

If they do any of the above, they have no right to complain when anyone does it to THEIR holy book.

And, lest anyone claim that the Moslem holy book is somehow more holy and more sacred than the Christian holy book, I was raised in a fairly ordinary, run-of-the-mill Christian family. No raving fundamentalists, no "Bible thumpers," no missionaries. My mother was Episcopal, my father was Congregationalist. And we were raised that nothing superseded the Bible. If a bunch of books were stacked on a table, nothing could be placed on top of the Bible.

I think that approach would probably cover trampling in mud, etc.

Just another example of why the "Religion of Peace" ... isn't.

It wasn't that many years ago that the Taliban destroyed ancient Buddhist statues in... Afghanistan? 
"It's good, though..."