Author Topic: Brilliance, thy name is a Seattle PD officer  (Read 7669 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Brilliance, thy name is a Seattle PD officer
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:42:48 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43567848/ns/local_news-seattle_wa/

SEATTLE — The Seattle Police Department is apologizing for an assault rifle left unattended on the back of a patrol car Monday night, and has launched an investigation into the matter.

First published by The Stranger, Nick Gonzales snapped a picture last night of the menacing-looking rifle on the trunk of a Seattle Police car. It was around 9 p.m. and the car was parked outside the Roosevelt Hotel, near Pine and 7th Avenue, with no police officers in sight, said Gonzales.

In addition, after an officer got back into the patrol car, it was driven away with the rifle still on the trunk. A woman also saw the rifle and followed the car to try to get the officer's attention.

Gonzales said he flagged down two more SPD officers on bicycles to tell them what he saw. As he described, they were "shocked as hell."

Two more witnesses alerted police to the situation.

In response, the director of the SPD Office of Professional Accountability said in a statement, "It is unacceptable that a rifle was left unattended on a patrol car and people should expect more from their police department."

The commander of the West Precinct has begun the investigation, said the SPD.

------------------------

Once again, I just don't have the words.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Brilliance, thy name is a Seattle PD officer
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
ugh..  similar story out here from last year.  Malmstrom AFB by Great Falls, MT is primarily a Minuteman ICBM base.  They have a lot of security troops doing roving patrols in armored cars to all the missile silos spread out all over that part of the state.  At Eddie's Corner (a truck stop) a guy found an M16 in the parking lot.  No AF personnel around at all.  The guy who found it was familiar with NFA laws and was suitably freaked out.  He put it back on the ground and called the cops who then took possession of it.  I'm sure some airman had some pretty serious consequences...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »
Standard procedure for politicians and bureaucrats is to punish guns, not people, so the rifle in question will be banned from SPD squad cars for the next year.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
Oooh, that is not going to look good on the annual review.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:41:18 PM »
I understand that it's a pretty big F-up. 

But people make mistakes. 

Fortunately, the matter was resolved without anyone getting hurt, or the rifle going "missing".

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »
Those assault rifles are evil and terroristic. Undoubtedly it was trying to escape into the wild to shoot up a school. Glad the brave police forces were able to recapture it before it made it's escape.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »
What is it?  I can't see it well enough for any identifying details to register.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »
ugh..  similar story out here from last year.  Malmstrom AFB by Great Falls, MT is primarily a Minuteman ICBM base.  They have a lot of security troops doing roving patrols in armored cars to all the missile silos spread out all over that part of the state.  At Eddie's Corner (a truck stop) a guy found an M16 in the parking lot.  No AF personnel around at all.  The guy who found it was familiar with NFA laws and was suitably freaked out.  He put it back on the ground and called the cops who then took possession of it.  I'm sure some airman had some pretty serious consequences...

Entire military bases and units have gone on lockdown for lesser items missing. The airman's unit and possibly the entire base itself was feeling some pain b/c of that bit of stupidity.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »
Those assault rifles are evil and terroristic. Undoubtedly it was trying to escape into the wild to shoot up a school. Glad the brave police forces were able to recapture it before it made it's escape.

Kinda reminds me of the question, "If hollowpoint bullets are "evil, cop-killer boolitz", then why do so many LEO's carry them in their service weapons?"......  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:53:10 PM »
Entire military bases and units have gone on lockdown for lesser items missing. The airman's unit and possibly the entire base itself was feeling some pain b/c of that bit of stupidity.

You mean like losing a pylon full of cruise missiles?  No wait, found them, they flew to louisiana.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »

I'm sure they did...  I was in a group in the Army that almost got flown back to Ft. Irwin from Ft. Riley immediately after getting home from a deployment because one idiot (not me, not even my company) grabbed the wrong rifle.  Cooler heads prevailed after this guy's rifle and the one still at Ft. Irwin were identified and arrangements were made.  It still sucked a lot, we got to hang out in the base gym for 8+ hours with constant weapon inspections looking for the missing S/N.  It really helped that communications were flaky and the guy somehow managed to get a rifle from an entirely different battalion.  Private Skippy got an Article 15 and narrowly missed a beat down.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:46:53 PM by 41magsnub »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
I fail to see what you and the SPD are getting your panties twisted in a knot about.  It's not like there were guns in the street threatening the tires and alignment of passing automobiles, like the newspapers are always warning us about.

From all accounts this was a trained weapon.  Probably the officer took it out, laid it on the trunk and told it "Stay!"  Seems the rifle obeyed perfectly.

I'm Baghdad Bob and I approved this message. :facepalm:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
Wonder how often a rifle or pistol is left unattended and it's "Finder's Keepers?"

I'm personally looking forward to the long-predicted FLOOD OF WEAPONS on the street . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
menacing-looking rifle

;/

Eddie's Corner (a truck stop)

Spent a week camped out there in a blizzard at their RV park.  Didn't find any guns lying around (some people have all the luck), but there was some sort of HS athletic event going on in Great Falls and I think half the state of Montana drove through there that weekend.    :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:08:33 PM »
Back after the DNV shooting in Slovakia, our brilliant interior minister named Lipshitz (transliteration of Lipšic) decreed that cops need more firepower and will have to tote sa.vz 58 everywhere.

Within two weeks, several assault rifles were forgotten... one on a bus stop, another on a gas station. I wish I had gotten my hands on one of those..

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 06:32:35 AM »
I've lost some stuff by putting it on the car.  Cane, sunglsasses, whatnot.  Recovered the cane after I saw it clattering down the street behind me as if it were trying to catch up.

So I made it an inviolable rule to not put stuff on the car.

So the next week I lost the sunglasses the same way.  I saw them go under the wheels of the car behind me.

So much for inviolable rules.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:38:12 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 06:52:20 AM »
@230RN

The one on the bus stop was found there because one of the cops left his vz.58 on the top of his squad car.. they drove away and didn't notice the gun clattering down..

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »
I've lost some stuff by putting it on the car.  Cane, sunglsasses, whatnot.  Recovered the cane after I saw it clattering down the street behind me as if it were trying to catch up.

So I made it an inviolable rule to not put stuff on the car.

So the next week I lost the sunglasses the same way.  I saw them go under the wheels of the car behind me.

So much for inviolable rules.

I was out looking for a fire one time, and stopped and got out to look through my binoculars.  Indeed there was smoke so I laid down the binoculars on the rail of the pickup bed while I used the radio.  Sure enough, I drove off without retrieving the binoculars  ;/

Amazingly enough, I mentally backtracked this scenario a couple days later when I missed the binoculars.  Even more amazing, they were still lying along the single track road, unharmed  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 03:09:30 PM »
I was out looking for a fire one time, and stopped and got out to look through my binoculars.  Indeed there was smoke so I laid down the binoculars on the rail of the pickup bed while I used the radio.  Sure enough, I drove off without retrieving the binoculars  ;/

Amazingly enough, I mentally backtracked this scenario a couple days later when I missed the binoculars.  Even more amazing, they were still lying along the single track road, unharmed  :O

While realizing that everyone is subject to possibly forget some rather expensive item at one time or another, forgetting where you put your firearm is just "not allowed" and deserves both public derision and public punishment.  When done by a cop both are deserved even more so.

Last I heard them bullet-throwing devices can cause hurting, and not everybody who picks one up off the trunk of a cop car is filled with the urge to "Protect and Defend" or "Protect and Serve" or whatever motto is stenciled on the copcar.  Although I will say that based on published reports the average "Hey-look-what-I-picked-up-er" is going to have marksmanship skills about on a par with the trained policeperson. [tinfoil]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
While realizing that everyone is subject to possibly forget some rather expensive item at one time or another, forgetting where you put your firearm is just "not allowed" and deserves both public derision and public punishment

Oh, I agree.

While I have mislaid a $25 pair of binoculars, I have never mislaid a firearm.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »
And yet how many times do we see or hear of the police officer who leaves his weapon in the toilet at some place or another?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 04:20:18 PM »
A newly pinned GySgt in our comm shop lost an M9 on a ftx once. Base was locked down and a whole damn battalion wasted two days walking on line through the desert. Bastard didn't lose rank over it though. Conversely, a lance criminal who set his rifle down and walked away from got njp'ed and busted down to private. :/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »
Not a surprise there.  I saw SPC/E-4 lose his M9 on a Blackhawk from BIAP to the IZ.  Pistol fell out of his holster and lodged in the seat of the Blackhawk.  Didn't have a lanyard/dummy cord on it.  Noticed it missing after the bird had been gone for 10 mins or so, thankfully he wasn't the last chalk and the M9 was found on the next trip.  The only thing they did to him was not let him carry the thing the rest of the deployment.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 04:43:12 PM »
There's a military urban legend over here about a tank crew that handed in a "lost/damaged items slip" because they had driven a tank into a swamp or a bog, where it sank to the bottom :laugh:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 03:33:20 AM »
We had an entire ARTEP come to a complete screeching halt because a HQ mechanic leaned his M16 against a vehicle he was wrenching on and then forgot it once the vehicle sputtered to life and everyone drove away.

Fortunately, a German found it and turned it into the Polizei.  But it took about a day and half for the GP's to track down who was missing a fully automatic assault rifle.   A day and half of absolute hell on earth for the rest of us who HAD NOT lost our rifles.

That resulted in a Field Grade Article 15 and max 'im out.   I think he did receive a beat down in the barracks upon our return from the field, 2 days late.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.