Author Topic: Hunger Games Deux  (Read 7656 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
Re: Hunger Games Deux
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »
I had not heard of the books until my wife brought them up and said she wanted to read them. Then a few days later OReily was whining about the potentially violent nature of the film. I was more intrigued then.  I did not see a trailer at all, and just read the first 10 chapters last night before we went to see it this morning. 
Overall based on the first part of the book I found it held to the storyline quite well for a movie adaptation.  I am looking forward to finishing it and reading the other two.

Funny that The Running Man came to mind when I first heard of the premise.

The love story aspect was subtle and not the primary focus of the movie.
Since they did not do any verbal internal thought style narrating from Katniss (main character)
I wondered how they would articulate one of the main aspects her character in the book conveyed.
Her disdain for the people of the Capitol people. (she despised the entire premise of the games and could not stand that these people got off on her potential demise)  The actress did a good job of bringing those feelings to screen by her facial expressions.

I was pleasantly surprised by the movie and would recommend it to all.

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
I will say that I didn't care much for the camera work, had a lot of the quick moving around weird focus/contrast things that seem to be popular. They captured it well, just wish they'd focus the damn camera and no zip it all over the freaking place.

Other then that, I thought it was good. Typical book to screen complaints apply. Some parts were rushed and a lot of the emotion the book conveys can be lost. Some parts added, some parts subtracted. Again, just standard book to screen issues but overall well done.

Book was, of course, much better.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 11:03:16 AM »
Just read in the paper the other day that there are some grumblings about casting in the film.  Apparently some people are upset by the casting of Lenny Kravitz as Cinna the stylist.  Didn't expect a black man there.  So what?

The one that made me laugh is that some people are upset that the part of Rue was played by a little black girl.  Complaints about how it's a rcial bias to show the weakest girl needing help to be played by a black girl.  Gee, if you bothered to read the book, you'd see that she was written as a black girl, and that she was by no means the weakest.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
Okay.

People, is there a reason to watch/read this if I've already seen Battle Royale and read the book?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
Just read in the paper the other day that there are some grumblings about casting in the film.  Apparently some people are upset by the casting of Lenny Kravitz as Cinna the stylist.  Didn't expect a black man there.  So what?

The one that made me laugh is that some people are upset that the part of Rue was played by a little black girl.  Complaints about how it's a rcial bias to show the weakest girl needing help to be played by a black girl.  Gee, if you bothered to read the book, you'd see that she was written as a black girl, and that she was by no means the weakest.

Odd, I saw Cinna mentally as black and gay. He was probably the smartest and most moral character.  He did what he considered right, and always paid the piper for it himself.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »
We saw it last night and I was pleastantly surprised.
A lot of shakey camera work though.
Tempted to download the book series.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »
@Rev...I didn't think in terms of race at all, and I didn't think gay either.  I was thinking in terms of intelligent, artistic, and as you indicated, highly moral.  I also thought of him as someone who had strong anti-Capital sentiments. 

Loved the book, and the idea that they are introducing the idea to teens that "legal" and "right" don't always match, and that .gov isn't always the best guidepost for trying to make that decision.  Self-reliance, and trusting those who have earned your trust is key.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »
IMO, well worth it. Even though a good adaptation, the book is better as usual.

I'm really liking the second book as well. Get's you a little further into just how f'ed up the capital government is.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »

I thought it was worth a read, after starting the dead-tree first book owned by one of my stepkids. Got the trilogy downloaded to my phone via Kindle, $16 for all three. Enjoyed all three, though I thought the first was the best.

Going to see the movie for my stepson's birthday tomorrow.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 11:58:24 AM »
I'm about a half chapter into the third book.  Won't spoil anything for those who haven't read that far but it's riveting and easy to just keep reading.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 03:07:39 AM »
I blew through the first book in a day. The first thing that it reminded me of was Stephen King's Long Walk.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 08:11:15 AM »
I just finished the second book last night and then the preview of the third.  Very much enjoying them.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »
All done as of last night.  Having three night shifts in a row with bad weather made that possible  :laugh:
Very interesting, how it speaks to the need to resist tolitarianisim without coming right out and saying it through most of the series.  I think its going on my kid's required reading list.
JD

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »
Hey APS

Until my 10 yo daughter brought this book home, I hadn't heard a thing about "The Hunger Games".  I read the plot synopsis, skimmed the first three chapters (total time < 5 minutes) and said "Whoa.  This seems like inappropriate subject matter for a 10 year old."  And suggested she hold off on it for a day while mom and I discuss it.  The child was disappointed.  My wife said she'd read it, but she'll be in the book for a week before coming away without any conviction.

I need to be a concerned father, without being a controlling jack wagon.  The kid can read it, and understand it.  Her intellectual maturity level  is typical 10 year old, while here reading and vocabulary are up around 12-14.  She doesn't get to any R rated movies, we don't have cable, and this is her first Sci-Fi (not counting Harry Potter).   The whole premise of teenagers killing one another for entertainment (my surmised plot) seems pretty  base, and taking it one further, so is the idea of a having a 10 year old read a book about it.

Do I need to read the damn thing?   I probably will have to jam through it in one sitting because although it 's a long weekend I was leaning more towards painting the garage trim or plastering a hallway or rewrapping a few guides on the fly rod.

I need a sounding board here, and I have more faith in you all than Dr Dobson. 

What do you think about the book's appropriateness for a 10 year old girl?

Thanks
Steve.
7-11 was a part time job.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »
Some muted violence, especiall in the first book.  No sex.  No language.
I'd be more concerned that a 10 year old probably won't "get it". 
Huge theme of self reliance, perserverence, and anti-totalitarianisim sentiments. 
You also get a feeling the author is trying that even insignificant people can make a real difference through their actions.
JD

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »
Unless you are squeamish about some violence, I'd say no worries. Given the plot it's not anywhere near as graphic as it could be, IMO.

As Jamis said, a 10 year old probably just wont get it.

I just finished the third book this morning, all in all a good series.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »
The violence is mostly out of sight.  When it is described it's not overly-graphic, and certainly doesn't expand the imagination of a typical 10-year old.  The main themes are as Jamis noted.  I would let a 10-year-old read it.
Charles Babbage

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
My 9 year old was interested in reading it, but after reading it myself, we decided to hold off for a few years. She is very bright and I don't doubt she would understand the themes, but gets freaked out about some kinds of violence. I would suggest reading it first if you are on the fence. 10 is borderline, IMO.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »
I'm about a half chapter into the third book.  Won't spoil anything for those who haven't read that far but it's riveting and easy to just keep reading.
Good.  I bought the 1st one, but haven't started reading it yet.  I might finish my Horatio Hornblower books first. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »
Also if you use Kindle and have an Amazon Prime account, all three in the series are eligible for borrowing.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »
I read it this afternoon. Ya'll are right. She will like it but won't get all of it.  She has got her nose buried in it now.
I thought it was an excellent story and well worth the time it took to read.  Thank you for the comments.
7-11 was a part time job.