Author Topic: Chain saw help!!  (Read 7665 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Chain saw help!!
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »
The spark plug didn't look like anything was wrong with it.

That used to happen to me when I rode dirt bikes. The plug would look perfectly fine, but changing it would still make a difference. I also learned not to use anything but genuine OEM NGK plugs. I don't like it when I can't explain things, but spark plugs are have some kind of magic with small 2-strokes for some reason.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »
You can buy Husqvarnas at Lowe's. I was looking at them last night.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
I've got a husky & a Stihl dealer locally, maybe a Poulan. Gonna hit a couple pawn shops.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
I never did much processed firewood, but "three cords" probably isn't even the equivalent of a day's work for a timber faller
That's likely true, but I'm not a timber faller, I'm an engraver who has a wood stove at home.

Which probably explains why I have a pawnshop chainsaw and $30,000 worth of engraving equipment.  ;)

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 08:51:18 PM »
I have a Husqvarna and have been quite happy with it.  Too bad there is no such thing as a self-sharpening chain.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
I have a Husqvarna and have been quite happy with it.  Too bad there is no such thing as a self-sharpening chain.

There is - you sharpen it yourself  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »
Have you used that Northern Tool product?
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »
I've always had good luck with a plain round file with just a wood or plastic handle stuck on the tang.

The trick is to touch up the saw chain often so you don't lose your angles.  When logging I would sharpen the chain every other tank of gas or so.

You do have to have a bit of an eye and a feel for it.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »
and i always thought the trick was not to make it dull!   ;)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »
and i always thought the trick was not to make it dull!   ;)

They stay pretty sharp if you never start the engine  :P

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »
In my experience saw shops usually don't have the first *expletive deleted*ing clue and will ruin a saw quicker than anything.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »
In my experience saw shops usually don't have the first *expletive deleted* clue and will ruin a saw quicker than anything.

There really are no "saw shops" anymore :(

There are just hardware and discount stores that happen to sell chainsaws, and have a 2' x 2' bench and a few parts in the back that is their "shop."  You're lucky if they have a guy there who knows how to take a bar/chain off and put it back on correctly.  ;/

The real saw shops that could fix anything went away with the demise of the timber industry (and of course the feller-buncher and the above mentioned discount stores).

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »
There really are no "saw shops" anymore :(

Woods Logging near where I live is a pretty good shop.  They've fixed lots of stuff for me at very reasonable prices. 
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »
Woods Logging near where I live is a pretty good shop.  They've fixed lots of stuff for me at very reasonable prices. 

Let's just say they are getting really rare.

It used to be that Stihl and Husky did not market through hardware stores, etc but only through a real saw/tool/small engine shop.  It's pretty hard to make it on just repair work alone, when the discount stores are undercutting you on new saws.