Author Topic: Dr. Martens or Skechers?  (Read 7679 times)

Justin

• friend
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« on: April 05, 2005, 09:48:50 AM »
Ok, here's one for the ages.

I need to buy a new pair of shoes, something I can wear to work and that goes equally well with khakis or jeans.  I've been a big fan of Skechers, but lately have been looking at Dr. Martens.  There seems to be a pretty big price jump going from the Skechers to the Dr. Martens and I want to know if it's worth it.

Thoughts?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 09:52:54 AM »
I'm wearing a pair of leather Skechers right now.  I've had them for a year and a half, and they've about had it.  Of course, I wear them almost daily, including to work, shopping, and GP.  Not a bad pair of shoes, but I also got them at a nearby outlet mall.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RaggedClaws

• friend
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 10:19:15 AM »
I vote for the Docs Smiley

I have a pair of casual Doc Martens, but I mostly wear a pair of Kenneth Cole loafers to work.  That brand just fits me perfectly and they are mighty sturdy.  I did have a pair of Skechers a while back, but they didn't seem to have the longevity that my various pairs of Docs had over the years.  I do ALOT of walking, so that matters to me.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 10:46:36 AM »
I don't own any sketchers, but my Docs last me for years and years with daily use.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Sean Smith

Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 11:41:24 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
I'm wearing a pair of leather Skechers right now.  I've had them for a year and a half, and they've about had it.  Of course, I wear them almost daily, including to work, shopping, and GP.  Not a bad pair of shoes, but I also got them at a nearby outlet mall.
I've had my docs for almost 10 years, only things wearing out on them are the shoelaces.

...has left the building.

Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 12:04:56 PM »
I have one pair of Sketchers and two pairs of Docs. I like both of them comfort-wise but the Docs have better quality leather in my experience. For example, from stomping commies and hippies Wink , my Sketchers' toes are scuffed badly. I've used old pairs of Docs as hunting boots and they've seen far more abuse, but they hold up better. The ultimate litmus test though is: I've found that chicks dig Docs more.

I'm getting a pair of a classic 10 hole, black, steel toe Docs in the next few weeks.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 12:50:48 PM »
doc Martens are made in England

Sketchers are made in China
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

DigMe

Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 01:06:29 PM »
Check www.sportsmansguide.com and www.overstock.com.  They often have discount doc martens.  Stay away from the Doc Martens Moc-Toe oxfords though.  The leather on those was terrible.  I bought a pair and after wearing them around the house for half an hour the leather had already developed white wear/crease marks on the tops.

I tell you what though...I'm on my third pair of shoes from the skechers "serene" line and I love them. They're slip-on and they're comfortable.  I've had two pairs of Serene Trips and one pair of serene Oasis.  I still wear the original brown serene trips but my black trips wore out.  That's why I bought a pair of black Oasis.  I got them from on sale for under 20 bucks from Shoe Carnival.

brad cook

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 03:12:58 PM »
I have two pair of 8 hole Docs that I have had for over 12 yrs. Used to wear one pair of them every day. Never had Sketchers, so I can't comment on those.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Justin

• friend
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 04:40:38 PM »
I've found that chicks dig Docs more.
Well, I think that settles it.  Cheesy

Will probably put an order in at zappos.com in the next day or so.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

brimic

• friends
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 06:31:20 PM »
I've recently gone the other way. I've owned 4 pairs of Docs over the last 15 years and have worn out 3 of them- 2 of them being worn in a very abusive climate at work. I just bought a pair of Sketcher oxfords a month ago. They seem to fit alright, are comfortable enough, but I haven't worn them enough to see how they will hold up.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 06:52:07 PM »
I hav Docs, got them from http://www.zappos.com which has sales all the time. The first few days I had them the outside of my ankles rubbed on the tops of the shoes pretty bad but since they broke in they've been the most comfortable shoes I've owned. Come think of it, they fit just a little loose so maybe that's why I had that ankle problem with them.

Norton

• friend
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 01:19:00 AM »
I have two pairs of Docs, one of which is 5 years old.  They've been used and abused and they still look and feel great.  Worth every penny......

TarpleyG

• friend
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 02:19:56 AM »
Dr. Marten's FWIW.  I have had several pair and they are worth the extra $$$.  Skechers have been and will always be a cheap fad shoe.

Greg

Happy Bob

• friend
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 08:51:35 AM »
Be sure that Docs fit your feet well; they're too narrow for my duck feet. Sad

The CDI factor (ChixDigIt, above) is crucial; get the Docs if you can. Oh, and I keep hearing about how long they last ...
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

Wingshooter

Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 09:54:27 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a pair of Docs as well.  I wear Rocky's as my duty boots now, but they only last a year of so and when they wear out they do so fast.  A couple of the guys at the station wear docs (and color the orange(?) thread with a black sharpie so they don't stand out) and say they're pretty comfortable, but they've had them less than a year.  Nice to get some opinions of people that  have had them longer.
Pedro offers you his protection...

Zundfolge

• friend
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 06:14:42 PM »
If you go to Ross to look at coffee mugs like we talked about earlier, they also often have Dr Martins in the shoe section ... usually seriously marked down as well (they should be cheaper there then Skechers most other places).

As for quality, I'd put the Doc Martins over the Skechers by a long shot ... even though I wear Skechers (but they are cheap  ... and I didn't know the could be found at Ross)

...has left the building.

Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 07:30:10 PM »
Well, I think that settles it.  Cheesy
I figured it would Wink

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 06:28:04 PM »
Since my stepsons moved in from SoCal...

They've been a bad influence on me.  I've wearing Vans right now.  And truthfully, my skateboarding technique sucks.  At least my pants are up high enough to cover my boxers and plumber's butt.  Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

crownvic

Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 08:46:45 AM »
Yeah, I like my Docs, but Skechers tend fit my feet much better. But I'm one of those cursed with duck feet as well as wearing a half size, which are not avialable in docs.

Chris

Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 04:49:01 PM »
Doc's: the classic UK punk rock boot. I think that's reason enough. I wasn't impressed with my last pair of Sketchers; the sole wore out way too quickly- I have an odd gait that puts more pressure on the ball of my right foot than elsewhere so the soles of my shoes wear there much more. I swear I went through the Sketchers in about a year. The rest of the uppers held out well but my Docs have never had a wear problem like that.

I have to be extra careful in shoe and boot selection; got extra flat feet and if I dont get something with the right arch support, oh man do I feel it. Used to wear a lot of Kenneth Cole shoes but came to realize that feeling good and looking good were very often mutually exclusive concepts. Im sticking with feeling good.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Dr. Martens or Skechers?
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 08:58:47 PM »
I know nothing of either pair.  But I like Rockports, they're uber comfortable--especially after you break them in.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.