Author Topic: Anti-rape underwear  (Read 7643 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Anti-rape underwear
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 11:04:39 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one perplexed by Rev's answer.  I just figured I was having a bad comprehension day, but it seems lots of posts recently are relying on implied sarcasm and double entendre or inferred meaning.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 12:11:03 AM »
Rev,

Tell your friend the same argument could be applied (but hasn't) to a whole list of other self-defense options. Guns, knives, pepper spray, kubatons, rape whistles, those spiky key-chain things, bulletproof vests.

"That guy didn't have any throwing stars - he was just asking to be mugged and shot in the back!"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »
Rev,

Tell your friend the same argument could be applied (but hasn't) to a whole list of other self-defense options. Guns, knives, pepper spray, kubatons, rape whistles, those spiky key-chain things, bulletproof vests.

"That guy didn't have any throwing stars - he was just asking to be mugged and shot in the back!"

That's exactly the problem. This device is not quite but almost useless in terms of self-defense. There's some concern, which I hope turns out to be overblown, that instead it'll just be a poison pill gift to the more scummy defense attorneys and prosecutors. There are plenty of both out there, that try to use any ridiculous excuse as a "mitigating" circumstance. For whatever reason, some folks are eager to buy any excuse in a rape case.

Clothing has been brought up before, to "prove" the victim was "asking for it". It sounds like it's ridiculous. It SHOULD be ridiculous. Unfortunately, it's a potential concern.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »
Even better antirape underwear.

http://thunderwear.com/holsters.asp
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
Even better antirape underwear.

http://thunderwear.com/holsters.asp

And now this thread has been won!

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
That's exactly the problem. This device is not quite but almost useless in terms of self-defense. There's some concern, which I hope turns out to be overblown, that instead it'll just be a poison pill gift to the more scummy defense attorneys and prosecutors. There are plenty of both out there, that try to use any ridiculous excuse as a "mitigating" circumstance. For whatever reason, some folks are eager to buy any excuse in a rape case.

Clothing has been brought up before, to "prove" the victim was "asking for it". It sounds like it's ridiculous. It SHOULD be ridiculous. Unfortunately, it's a potential concern.

You're telling me there are rape victims that have lost cases, because they weren't carrying mace or a rape whistle?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife