Author Topic: Voicemail complaints  (Read 7630 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Voicemail complaints
« on: December 03, 2013, 11:50:44 AM »
It's finally reached the point where having a human being answer a phone at a business is just about unheard of. Every business I call--even Billy Bob's Fishin' Hole ("Located in lovely Lander, Wyoming, just 200 feet west of the big pine tree on Highway 28")--has voicemail.

It's bad enough that the businesses don't have a person answering the phone, but the option most people want, which is to speak to the retail department, is almost always the last one. First you have to listen to options for store hours, directions, accounting, shipping and receiving, fishing reel repairs, and law enforcement sales.

It's also true that if you call a bank, health insurance company, the IRS or any bloated institution, you'll get the message saying, "we're currently experiencing higher than normal call volume, so your wait may be twenty minutes". You can call them at 3 am and they'll have higher than normal call volume. All they're doing is hiring fewer people than they actually need to staff the phones, and saving money by wasting your time, which they regard as worthless.

The latest gimmick is to make you sit through a couple of minutes of advertising or self-promotion before you're even given any options. "Looking to refinance your home? Ask our associates about our adjustable rate mortgages. We can save you...".  It's tempting to sit through one of those ads, select an option, and then when someone answers do a telemarketing pitch for Norwegian Cruise Lines. Maybe if more people would do that, it would become something like Mutually Assured Destruction, and neither side would engage in it again.

I really hate calling my doctor when I'm sick and need to see him. I call the clinic, get voicemail, wait through 16 different options before I'm told to select #17 for Doctor Locker, and then I get the voicemail for his nurse. Her message always promises that she'll return my call as soon as possible, which invariably is two or three days. By then I've already gone to a walk-in clinic, gotten an Rx, and I'm well again. Maybe if they keep moving my priority further down the line, from my doctor to his nurse to the 2nd shift nurse to the x-ray lab, they might eventually route calls to the lowly receptionist.

My favorite is calling a credit card company and getting in a closed loop. Bank of America is great at this. You hear some soothing music and a man's voice, and are given options for credit card, home loans, consumer loans, debit cards, etc. Select credit cards, and you get a woman's voice offering another dozen options. Select one of those options, and you're back  to the guy again offering the same options for credit card, home loans and so on. You can stay up all night pushing buttons on your phone and only hear those two voices and those same options.

I'm old enough to remember calling directory assistance in a relatively small town, and getting a live operator who not only was able to find the person's number, but actually knew the person. And when she'd connect me, the person actually answered. That was before we made all this progress, though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Voicemail complaints
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »
Looking for someone to talk to? Post you're phone number and we'll all call the business (and ask for moccasins)!  :P =D

I don't mind some automated VM for businesses, but I hate the overly complicated ones. Like my cable company, if you want to do something like activate a new modem, or worse, troubleshoot a problem, because the robot voice painstakingly walks you through the Tier 1 dummy manual. At least when the guy from India does that, I can spout back with all the Tier 1 stuff I already did, now move me to Tier freakin' 2!

I would hate VM for my Doctor. When I have to call the main clinic my Doctor is affiliated with for something, I get VM, but it's not too bad or overly complicated. When I call my Doctor's actual office, I always get a live person.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Voicemail complaints
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
Does hitting zero and eating operator at every voice prompt still eventually get you to a human?

Two of my favorites-

Prompted to enter info. Account number, card number, whatever number while sifting through the options. When you finally get someone...they ask for it anyway.

Or the lovely online chat help, where half is obviously a bot.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »
Does hitting zero and eating operator at every voice prompt still eventually get you to a human?

It works sometimes. I've been experiencing more and more often, not having the option to talk to a human being. I think they're catching on to our "tricks".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »
When we roll out phone systems for customers, frequently they want to have their calls answered by an auto attendant.  We caution them about it, but usually they do it anyway.  Then, a month later they call us back to change it to live answering because they get too many of their customers complaining. 

It's not bad if it is press 1 for service, 2 for sales, and etc and after the press a person who can help them answers.  But when they try to get overly elaborate it falls apart.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »
USAA when you call they ask for your member number.  

*Beep*Bo*Bou*Boop*Beep*Bu*Burr*

A moment or two later a human comes on...."Good Morning Mr. Scout, could you please give me your phone password so I can help you?"

=D =D =D

AT&T on the other hand is the VM from hell.  Although repeating the word "Representative" will get you to a live person faster.   Though they won't have any information despite entering your account or phone number several times.  And each time you get passed off to "someone who can help you", you have to give them your account information and start all over again.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »

Sent via tapatalk

When did this turn into a discussion on long pig?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 02:54:58 PM »
Just FYI, if your medical clinic has an option for you to send them messages via their website, we prefer that over and above phone calls.  Good use of messages are to ask for a medication refill, the results of your recent tests or to ask a general and non-urgent medical question.  Call us in real-time to make an appointment or if you have a pressing medical issue or question that cannot wait 24 hours for a response.

Due to HIPAA issues, most clinics have a secure page in which you can send them messages, as opposed to sending them an email to drsmith@medicalclinic.com.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »
When we roll out phone systems for customers, frequently they want to have their calls answered by an auto attendant.  We caution them about it, but usually they do it anyway.  Then, a month later they call us back to change it to live answering because they get too many of their customers complaining. 

It's not bad if it is press 1 for service, 2 for sales, and etc and after the press a person who can help them answers.  But when they try to get overly elaborate it falls apart.

We have that even with our own internal network ops center. 5-6 level deep auto attendant/menu then you get on terminal hold waiting for a tester. It annoys me to no end. On the ther hand the company is paying me sit and listen to " All technicians are busy, your call is important to us, your call will be answered in the order received" The longest I've ever waited is about 2.5 hours, while working on a failed OC192 that was down hard on the main and taking errors on the protect side.
I don't mae the policies but I'll darn sure folllow them to the letter in a case like that.
 Another fun experience was at a remote site I get to work at, It's 1 mile off the highway on a very large cattle ranch. We've only had a touch tone phone set there for 3 years. Tons of fun to work your way through a menu system with a rotary dial phone.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 03:08:48 PM »
Just FYI, if your medical clinic has an option for you to send them messages via their website, we prefer that over and above phone calls.  Good use of messages are to ask for a medication refill, the results of your recent tests or to ask a general and non-urgent medical question.  Call us in real-time to make an appointment or if you have a pressing medical issue or question that cannot wait 24 hours for a response.

Due to HIPAA issues, most clinics have a secure page in which you can send them messages, as opposed to sending them an email to drsmith@medicalclinic.com.

The clinic I go to has that. I dig it and use it where I can. I really like that they combine all my doctors so that I can look up all my history, get appointment reminders, etc. I think mine is called MyChart. I've even been able to ask my doctor medical questions and get a reply from him, usually later that day.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »
The clinic I go to has that. I dig it and use it where I can. I really like that they combine all my doctors so that I can look up all my history, get appointment reminders, etc. I think mine is called MyChart. I've even been able to ask my doctor medical questions and get a reply from him, usually later that day.

^^^ Your clinic uses EPIC, and the patient portal is MyChart.  EPIC is a great electronic medical record system; I like using it.  The patients really like the portal, especially being able to look up their lab work and get their refill requests online.  We like it since we can read and respond to the patient questions and issues when we have a spare moment, and it all ends up in the chart, so there is a written record of what was asked and what and when the response was.  As opposed to trying to transcribe a voice mail, or even worse, playing telephone tag with the patient over a couple of days before you can actually reach them.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:20:38 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 03:24:43 PM »
If I'm contacting medical, it sure as heck has gotten past the point where it can wait 24 hrs.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 03:55:31 PM »
If I'm contacting medical, it sure as heck has gotten past the point where it can wait 24 hrs.

Does it make any difference if it takes you 24 hours to drive your horseless carriage into town?  =D

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »
On most systems not selecting anything will default to the "send call to a person" setting.  Not all, but some.  On some of the new voice-prompt systems, saying "operator" or "representative" will also get you directly to a person.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »
On most systems not selecting anything will default to the "send call to a person" setting.  Not all, but some.  On some of the new voice-prompt systems, saying "operator" or "representative" will also get you directly to a person.

Brad

Actually this is what irritates me more than anything else. It seems I used to be able to do that a lot more, and now it is harder and harder to get to a live person, even using the methods you mentioned, which seem to be getting disabled on many systems.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »

And some of us have extensive contact with our healthcare providers.  Simply because they help keep us alive.   I receive email from my dialysis nurse frequently (normally with lab and test results).  However they have just switched over to EPIC, so I will have to inquire about MyChart.  =)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:23:08 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 05:54:13 PM »
I can see all my tests back to 2008 on My Chart.

Of course the government probably has the same access to my info as I do  [tinfoil]  :mad:  :laugh:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
I set an auto attendant up at work and it is helpful.
I weeds out the people that are looking for a specific person. Then no one else has to waste time answering that call.
It stops almost all auto dialer and telemarketer calls.
I also recorded the options, I read them all fast so you don't have to sit there like a dumb ars listing for 3 minutes.
Greeting first.
Press 1 for sale 2 service, etc. no explanation about how to press the buttons and crap like that. If your to stupid to figure it out I don't need to talk to you.

I wanted to put a press 2 for other than English then it would just disconnect, but that idea got nixed.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 06:20:27 PM »
It's also true that if you call a bank, health insurance company, the IRS or any bloated institution, you'll get the message saying, "we're currently experiencing higher than normal call volume, so your wait may be twenty minutes". You can call them at 3 am and they'll have higher than normal call volume. All they're doing is hiring fewer people than they actually need to staff the phones, and saving money by wasting your time, which they regard as worthless.

The one that goes right along with this is, "Please listen carefully to the following, as our menu options have changed." In reality, there are only three options, and they haven't changed since the system was first installed.

But they have figured out that some people (who shall remain unnamed) were prone to just pressing zero to get the operator/receptionist/file clerk, cleaning lady ... so they've pretty universally tweaked the system to you can't press zero for an operator until you've listened to the entire menu (which, remember, has changed ... not) at least twice, after which they may (or may not) offer you the option of speaking with a warm body.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
Prompted to enter info. Account number, card number, whatever number while sifting through the options. When you finally get someone...they ask for it anyway.

Another of my pet peeves. I always call them on it. "Didn't I just enter all that information? Why did I have to enter it if you don't have it in front of you?"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 06:25:15 PM »
On most systems not selecting anything will default to the "send call to a person" setting.  Not all, but some.  On some of the new voice-prompt systems, saying "operator" or "representative" will also get you directly to a person.

I'm obviously dealing with the wrong companies. If I don't enter anything, I usually get disconnected. If I ask for "operator" or "speak to a representative" the system replies, "I'm sorry, I did not understand your response. Please press 1 for ... "
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:09:06 PM by Hawkmoon »

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »
I'm obviously dealing with the wrong companies. If I don't enter enything, I usually get disconnected. If I ask for "operator" or "speak to a representative" the system replies, "I'm sorry, I did not understand your response. Please press 1 for ... "

I've found that cussing and screaming at the recordings don't get you anywhere either...
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 08:26:58 PM »
I'm obviously dealing with the wrong companies. If I don't enter anything, I usually get disconnected. If I ask for "operator" or "speak to a representative" the system replies, "I'm sorry, I did not understand your response. Please press 1 for ... "

Likewise, Verizon will disconnect you if you do nothing, or enter zero when zero is not a menu option.  :mad:
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 08:33:49 PM »
Maybe this was by chance...but one time I was caught in my health insurer's voice hell system, and shouted F U at it. Almost immediately, the recording said "please hold, we are connecting you to a representative" and by God it did.
This is one reason I picked a doctor and bank close to home and work. I don't even try to call, I just stop in.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 07:19:51 AM »
If I ask for "operator" or "speak to a representative" the system replies, "I'm sorry, I did not understand your response. Please press 1 for ... "

This. Talking to computers does not work for me, even with my "normal" Midwestern accent.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife