Author Topic: Unions/Enviros Shoot Selves in Foot  (Read 1321 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Unions/Enviros Shoot Selves in Foot
« on: October 23, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »
It sounds more like this is a union posing as an environmental group. Ironically though, they are citing "environmental harm" regarding a plant that makes public transportation vehicles, which is supposed to be good for the environment. I'm gonna guess NV or AZ will get the plant and the jobs.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/23/union-demands-send-japanese-firm-jobs-packing-from-california-town/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Unions/Enviros Shoot Selves in Foot
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »
After reading the article, I think this was a ploy by the local IBEW to try and unionize the plant.  Hard to unionize the plant, though, if the company decides to move the plant away.  But the local residents will be safe from the danger of spore-borne valley fever.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 12:38:17 AM »
They are bitching about the unions, but they probably voted for the people who wrote their labor and enviro laws. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:39:49 AM »
It said the company recently relocated to El Segundo.  Why?  The only people who can afford to live anywhere near the office are the top executives. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:53:59 AM »
Eh, I'm sure parts of Hawthorne and Inglewood are cheap enough. And North Redondo was a hellpit for awhile, especially as you got further from the Hermosa border.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
It said the company recently relocated to El Segundo.  Why?  The only people who can afford to live anywhere near the office are the top executives.

Seems like a fairly common bit of idiocy; why would you ever want to manufacture a product in California for nationwide distribution when there are so many places throughout the country with drastically lower taxes, lower cost of living, (which means your workers can live better on their wages, or the same on lower wages) more employer-friendly laws, etc.?

For a brick and mortar retailer, there are advantages to a prestigious and accessible location, but for manufacturing or online sales, only your employees need to be able to get there.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »
It's a product for end use in California isn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »

Correct. That's why I was figuring they're now likely looking at the closest borders.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »
Yea it's not an easy product to ship either. In a perfect world I'd look for a plant adjacent to tracks

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »

It's light rail vehicles.  Same ones are in use in Dallas, and frankly, the east coast is likely to be a bigger purchaser than the west coast due to the higher concentration of dense cities over a large area.

Yea it's not an easy product to ship either. In a perfect world I'd look for a plant adjacent to tracks

Standard gauge.  Hook on to a diesel and drag it to wherever the electricity starts.  Lots of abandoned industrial sites all over the country have their own spur already.