Author Topic: Gun magnets  (Read 4078 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Gun magnets
« on: January 21, 2016, 07:49:58 AM »
You know, the magnets that allow you to stick a gun in a hidden spot?

Anyone have one?

I've thought about getting one so that I can hide a gun in my living room. Currently it's hidden, but it's a little too.... exposed and wouldn't take much to find.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Gun magnets
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 08:27:36 AM »
Funny you mention that, I was just eyeballing those on Amazon the other day and was thinking about posting the same question. :)

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:31:14 AM »
Me three, I work out of the home with my new job and I want something in my home office.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 08:39:57 AM »
My big question is how are they at securing a revolver with its far more curved surface?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:02:42 AM »
My boss used to keep one under his desk.  I think his was a rubber coated magnet that screwed into the bottom of the desk with four screws.  Held a 1911 very nicely.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:25:38 AM »
I have seen those things call holsters that are nothing more than belt clips with a small plastic rod that sticks into the barrel of a pistol.  I would think securing one of those somewhere would make a better storage point.  More useful for non-magnetic guns anyway. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:27:25 AM »
My big question is how are they at securing a revolver with its far more curved surface?

Maybe at the crane?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 09:36:53 AM »
Why do you want to use a magnet instead of a holster?

I think even a cheap Uncle Mike's kydex holster will hold the gun more securely than a magnet.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 09:37:21 AM »
Really don't have to worry about the non magnetic aspect, so a magnet would be fine. All of the pistols that would consider for this task are blued steel.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 09:39:17 AM »
Why do you want to use a magnet instead of a holster?

I think even a cheap Uncle Mike's kydex holster will hold the gun more securely than a magnet.

I'm not sure that I agree with that.

If you use a holster, it would need some kind of retention device, either a thumb strap or something else, to keep the gun from working loose and dropping on the floor over time from normal vibrations. A magnet will continue to hold no matter what, and with enough "stick" force, nothing short of an earthquake is going to knock it off.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 09:42:50 AM »
I guess it depends on the orientation of the mount.  I was imagining that the gun was mounted parallel to the floor, underneath a table or desk.  For the gun to get knocked/vibrated out of a holster in that position would take some effort.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »
This is how I envision the mount (holster or magnet) holding the gun...

Otherwise it might be visible below the level of the table skirt.

In that position, some sort of retention is pretty much mandatory with a holster, or it's coming out sooner rather than later, especially a nylon holster.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 10:10:04 AM »
I thought someone(s) here posted something not too long ago about why the magnets are bad, or at least not ideal. I was curious about them too.

As an alternate, as much grief as the Blackhawk systems take, this might be one place where they're an option, as they have that multi-mount modular system that lets them be secured to various surfaces (vehicle, under desk, etc.). Or maybe someone else makes a similar product that has better features?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 10:26:43 AM »
If they did, I didn't see it.

Edit in: I searched back 1000 days on the terms gun and magnet, and got a lot of hits, but nothing about this kind of system.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 10:26:59 AM »
It better be a strong magnet so if you bump it, it won't go sliding across the floor.

Can you induce magnetism in any of the parts that would affect functionality?  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »
It better be a strong magnet so if you bump it, it won't go sliding across the floor.

Can you induce magnetism in any of the parts that would affect functionality? 

That's one of the questions that I have... would the gun be affected in any way. Normally to induce something to be magnetic you have to repeatedly pass it through a magnetic field to align the atoms, ions, whatever it is...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 10:37:29 AM »
If they did, I didn't see it.

Edit in: I searched back 1000 days on the terms gun and magnet, and got a lot of hits, but nothing about this kind of system.

Dang, I was sure I saw it here.

Anyway, following the thread, because I have a similar issue.  I was also looking at one of the quick access vertical safes because my niece's 3-year old comes by once in a while. They show them with desk mount options,  but they're kinda bulky. If I went with a non-lockable option, I'd just have to secure the gun whenever she was here though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 11:25:24 AM »
Just a thought but most kydex holsters have retention built in.  The Crossbreed holsters put a dimple at the trigger guard so there is a bump that fits there.  I have been using a Swaprig holster lately that does decently for retention.  Alien gear has a good retention also.  Anyway, if you got some velcro sheets to hold it to the bottom of the desk, it might work.  Or glue/screw the holster to the underside of the desk. 

I also recall seeing pistol safes that were designed to mount out of site that were set up to be opened without having to look. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »
The Versacarry is what I was trying to think of earlier.  

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1921158827/versacarry-inside-the-waistband-holster-ambidextrous-black-polymer

It should probably work better if the gun was not horizontal.  

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/814664/versacarry-versahub-bedside-mounting-system-black-polymer
They have a cheap bed side mounting option.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 11:31:21 AM »
I posited something about induced magnetism. It is a concern that would bother me.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
Induced magnetism doesn't bother me with regards to lockwork.

It does bother me with respect to foreign ferrous debris getting into places it shouldn't.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »
"I also recall seeing pistol safes that were designed to mount out of site that were set up to be opened without having to look."

Out of site?

What the hell use is that if, when I need a gun, I have to go to the site where the gun is, then bring it back?

:facepalm: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 12:24:10 PM »
"I also recall seeing pistol safes that were designed to mount out of site that were set up to be opened without having to look."

Out of site?

What the hell use is that if, when I need a gun, I have to go to the site where the gun is, then bring it back?

:facepalm: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
No, you don't go to the site.  It is out of site.  Out of sight also.   =D

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »
Magnet from a junk hard disk.  Secure it to a surface, and cover with electrical tape to protect the gun's finish.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 02:03:13 PM »
Magnet from a junk hard disk.  Secure it to a surface, and cover with electrical tape to protect the gun's finish.

The ones I've played with were not that strong.  Strong for their size, but not enough to hold a gun.

Chris