Author Topic: Lulzsec folks arrested, media still hilariously ignorant  (Read 4011 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Lulzsec folks arrested, media still hilariously ignorant
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/06/hacking-group-lulzsec-swept-up-by-law-enforcement/

Every time I read reporters talking about groups like Anon or lulzsec I wonder if they really don't get it, or are intentionally misrepresenting to pander to a presumably ignorant audience?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Lulzsec folks arrested, media still hilariously ignorant
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:42:51 PM »
Assuming reporters are ignoramuses is usually the way to bet.  Even when they are trying to be clever and slant a story.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
The media get stories I know about wrong so regularly, I normally watch all their reporting with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Including the weather report "current conditions" segment.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:31:25 PM »
Are we supposed to know what a Lulzsec is? Never heard of it. I guess I'm ignorant about this stuff. [shrug]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
The media get stories I know about wrong so regularly, I normally watch all their reporting with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Fun sport over here, decoding what the tabloids write. Double standards are common, with 20-year old rapists of a more southern extraction referred to as "youths", while a 14-year old rape victim is occasionally described as a "woman" or "young woman", instead of "teenage girl".
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:50:44 PM »
Are we supposed to know what a Lulzsec is? Never heard of it. I guess I'm ignorant about this stuff. [shrug]

You should consider contacting the FBI then, you're probably one of the people who's memories they erased of their existence with that hacked Superbowl ad.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
[Kip Dynamite] Daaaang it!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »

Operations security (OPSEC) is a process that identifies critical information to determine if friendly actions can be observed by adversary intelligence systems, determines if information obtained by adversaries could be interpreted to be useful to them, and then executes selected measures that eliminate or reduce adversary exploitation of friendly critical information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LulzSec
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
Oh.  I thought they were related to LOLcats.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »
Fun sport over here, decoding what the tabloids write. Double standards are common, with 20-year old rapists of a more southern extraction referred to as "youths", while a 14-year old rape victim is occasionally described as a "woman" or "young woman", instead of "teenage girl".

Or "child" ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »

I've heard of anon but never lulzsec!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »
I've heard of anon but never lulzsec!

It doesn't matter. It was just a grouping of more talented Anonymous hackers who started working together.

The .gov just doesn't get the concept, or does not want to acknowledge it. Anonymous... is anyone following the loose and ever shifting ideals, or likes/dislikes of Anonymous, and who says or does not say they're acting as Anonymous. That's it.

There's no hierarchy, there's no leadership. It's not even a traditional resistance cell structure.

It's a mob. Some are skilled, some are just script kiddies, some are just moral support, or in it for the lulz.

The .gov or other powers that be can snipe a group of the more talented hackers that rises up and starts doing enough things to make themselves traceable, but there will be another such group tomorrow, or in a week, or in a month. Either have your INFOSEC be truly airtight, in both technical and human terms, or don't piss them off. Ideally, do both.
I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »

Listen/read what the mainstream has to say.  Reverse it and you will be ~ 97% spot-on for the truth. [tinfoil]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 06:34:28 PM »
It doesn't matter. It was just a grouping of more talented Anonymous hackers who started working together.

The .gov just doesn't get the concept, or does not want to acknowledge it. Anonymous... is anyone following the loose and ever shifting ideals, or likes/dislikes of Anonymous, and who says or does not say they're acting as Anonymous. That's it.

There's no hierarchy, there's no leadership. It's not even a traditional resistance cell structure.

It's a mob. Some are skilled, some are just script kiddies, some are just moral support, or in it for the lulz.

The .gov or other powers that be can snipe a group of the more talented hackers that rises up and starts doing enough things to make themselves traceable, but there will be another such group tomorrow, or in a week, or in a month. Either have your INFOSEC be truly airtight, in both technical and human terms, or don't piss them off. Ideally, do both.

I figured Balog meant something like that, but I don't see where the article contradicts that understanding. It didn't say that Anonymous is over, did it?

Yeah, so people can call themselves whatever they want, and do various legal and illegal things. But, as we have seen, sometimes they get caught. Sometimes, the cool, anonymous hacker guy is a stool pigeon for the Feds, and his cool, rebellious hacker friends don't realize it.

People break the law, and they get arrested. Maybe their friends get scared straight. Maybe they don't.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:24 PM »
I really don't understand.

I thought FBI had all of its serious, SICRIT FBI DATABASES in computer networks not physically connected to the outside world at all, and the "FBI servers" being hacked are just their public websites?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »

I figured Balog meant something like that, but I don't see where the article contradicts that understanding. It didn't say that Anonymous is over, did it?

Yeah, so people can call themselves whatever they want, and do various legal and illegal things. But, as we have seen, sometimes they get caught. Sometimes, the cool, anonymous hacker guy is a stool pigeon for the Feds, and his cool, rebellious hacker friends don't realize it.

People break the law, and they get arrested. Maybe their friends get scared straight. Maybe they don't.

The story treatment is more about a lie of omission, that ignores the fact the hacker groups loosely centered on the Chans is a spontaneous and organic phenomena. They just don't get the quasi-nihlisim that's part of it all. Watching those among them who get caught is about as lulz-y as the hacks they pull off.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 01:06:38 AM »
The story treatment is more about a lie of omission, that ignores the fact the hacker groups loosely centered on the Chans is a spontaneous and organic phenomena.

I'm not so sure they did.
The offshoot of the loose network of hackers, Anonymous, believed to have caused billions of dollars in damage to governments, international banks and corporations, was allegedly led by a shadowy figure FoxNews.com has identified as Hector Xavier Monsegur. Working under the Internet alias “Sabu,” the unemployed, 28-year-old father of two allegedly commanded a loosely organized, international team of perhaps thousands of hackers

Quote from: AJDual
They just don't get the quasi-nihlisim that's part of it all. Watching those among them who get caught is about as lulz-y as the hacks they pull off.
Maybe the writer didn't say everything you would have said about it, but it doesn't seem misleading, either.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 01:47:07 AM »
Thanks, Fistful. I've been reading this thread after reading the article, and have been trying to figure out where the writer screwed up. I was guessing that it was in describing the hackers as an organized group rather than a disjointed bunch of lone wolves.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 08:22:20 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »
http://www.googlepixel.com/images/lulzy.jpg

Says it better than I ever could with words.  :lol:

Catching them just improves the herd.
I promise not to duck.