Author Topic: Nuke Over North Carolina  (Read 4012 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Nuke Over North Carolina
« on: September 21, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »
I'd never heard of this incident. I suppose one could take the story in one of two ways. Either by the grace of God the bomb didn't detonate, or else the "low voltage switch", while sounding dramatic, simply did its job and prevented the detonation.

Either way, it gives one pause. We would be a drastically different country had this nuke exploded.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/21/atomic-bomb-nearly-exploded-over-north-carolina-in-161-report-says/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Nuke Over North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »
Heard about that on the radio this morning. That story said there were many more incidents with the nukes. I wonder what those were.

What caused the inflight break up of the B-52?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
I have read a number of books and papers on the various crashes and explosions that have affected our nuclear force.  There have been a number of them, and a few warheads have never been recovered.  No high-yield nuclear explosions yet, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »
IIRC there's still a nuke missing from the late 1950s somewhere off the coast of Savannah Georgia.  A bomber accidently lost it and it splashed into the ocean and buried itself in the bottom muck.
Still there to this day ....... tick ...... tick ..... tick ....... tick ..... >:D :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 11:23:20 AM »
After seeing many years of what salt water will do to anything, I highly doubt any off them would have been dangerous for more then a year.
After that the salt water would have destroyed most of it. Last time I check nukular bombs were not made of stainless steel or titanium.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »
Fallout could have been deposited over Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City, according to the report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/21/atomic-bomb-nearly-exploded-over-north-carolina-in-161-report-says/#ixzz2fYFq5FRQ

A wiseguy friend acquaintance of mine guy I met only once and don't know his name smart-alecked... "This is bad... how?"

I immediately looked around for UAVs possibly watching, listening, reporting, picking up on my router signals...

Terry

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:09:40 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 02:15:08 PM »
I thought this was another one in NC, I heard about the '61 nuke many years ago in some conversation I overheard.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 02:41:59 PM »
IIRC there's still a nuke missing from the late 1950s somewhere off the coast of Savannah Georgia.  A bomber accidently lost it and it splashed into the ocean and buried itself in the bottom muck.
Still there to this day ....... tick ...... tick ..... tick ....... tick ..... >:D :facepalm:
1958, B-47 collided with an F-86 during a simulated mission and they tossed it to decrease weight. Still debated if the bomb was ever capable of a full on detonation. Initial reports and practice for the type of bomb loaded at the time would have had a lead mock up on place of the actual cap used to initiate the reaction. Later reports said different and IIRC it's still debated.

Biggest worry would be contamination if/when the thing full on corrodes. Which is depended largely on just how deep it buried itself and where, the sands in the area move around a lot.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »
Atomic weapons and mishaps are two of my favorite wikipedia traps, gotten lost there for days. Never found the Goldsboro bomb after digging a good way into the impact area. The land is now federal owned and fenced off.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »
This story appears to be old news.

APS discussed it here
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=28248.0

From the article cited in the thread
The two weapons separated from the aircraft as it began to break apart -- five of the six arming devices on one of the bombs became activated, causing them to carry out many of the steps needed to arm themselves. A military analyst determined that the pilot's safe/arm switch was the only one of the six arming devices on the bombs that prevented detonation.
I assume the bomb to which both articles refer was the one that parachuted into a tree and not the one that free fell into the ground.

I suspect the Goldsboro incident was a clear example of the problem; the really new news was the number of incidents.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 05:54:28 PM »
Nuking North Cackalacky would have been a problem how?  Call it the last shot of the Civil War.

And the USAF had a few Nuclear Oooopsies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_nuclear_accidents
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 07:19:29 PM »
My regret is that I have never found a good source for reading up on Soviet military nuclear accidents.  I am sure they must have had some.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 10:11:46 PM »
I heard N.C was asking for it, and was playing offensive videos
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »

Biggest worry would be contamination if/when the thing full on corrodes. Which is depended largely on just how deep it buried itself and where, the sands in the area move around a lot.

Not much to worry about really. If the core material is intact (likely given the density) then it's too heavy to do much more than sit there.  I would be way more worried if the explosives had detonated on an unarmed physics package. That would have spread material everywhere and contaminated everything in sight.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 10:48:19 PM »
My regret is that I have never found a good source for reading up on Soviet military nuclear accidents.  I am sure they must have had some.

With the intense secrecy of the Soviet Union I doubt we will ever know about a lot of them. We do know they had a whole lot of nuclear submarine f***ups, though.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »
Is the bomb that got buried still there? Could an enterprising terrist sort find and use it in some way
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 11:24:09 PM »
Once spent some time talking to a guy who maintained nukes . . . he didn't get into too much detail, but it seems that nukes need periodic skilled maintenance in order to remain viable. (I think he said something about spalling off the surface of the pit?) Something that's been sitting unattended for 5 decades might not even fizzle . . . especially if it's been under salt water all this time.

And if it was an H-bomb . . . don't they use tritium? With a half life of just over 12 years, by now it would be down to ~1/16 or less of the tritium it started out with.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »
Not much to worry about really. If the core material is intact (likely given the density) then it's too heavy to do much more than sit there.  I would be way more worried if the explosives had detonated on an unarmed physics package. That would have spread material everywhere and contaminated everything in sight.

Brad

Plutonium decay is a common college algebra problem, stuff does decay pretty quickly compared to other radioactive materials
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 01:07:31 AM »
The solution
To pollution
Is dilution

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »
Once spent some time talking to a guy who maintained nukes . . . he didn't get into too much detail, but it seems that nukes need periodic skilled maintenance in order to remain viable. (I think he said something about spalling off the surface of the pit?) Something that's been sitting unattended for 5 decades might not even fizzle . . . especially if it's been under salt water all this time.

And if it was an H-bomb . . . don't they use tritium? With a half life of just over 12 years, by now it would be down to ~1/16 or less of the tritium it started out with.

The "tick ... tick .... tick" implying that the bomb might some day blow up was a joke.

Many years ago, I believe it was in the 1980s I read a book that I then loaned to my father.   IIRC it was by Clive Cussler, and the basic theme was that there had been, secretly, a third attempted nuclear strike on Japan to end WW2 but the B-29 that had carried the bomb had crashed at sea.  Decades later (contemporary to the publication of the book or maybe a few years ahead...) some Japanese evil tycoon type discovers this  and locates the crashed B-29 and recovers the weapon.  It was a pretty cleverly written book and involved the protagonist in a Byzantine plot that really kept one's interest piqued.
After reading it my father (who was an engineer and actually did know something about nuclear weapons) suggested a problem with the storyline.  I guessed that after half a century immersed under the ocean, plus what must have been a fairly violent crash, the chances of a nuke being in working order were slim to ziltch.  Yea ... that was pretty much what my father was thinking.  

But, hey, just for the fun of it; "tick .... tick .... tick ..... "
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:36:29 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »
Is the bomb that got buried still there? Could an enterprising terrist sort find and use it in some way

Sure. If they ground it up, and spread it widely. Plutonium poisoning is no joke.

Nuclear weapons have a shell. Varies on each design, but say 10-20 years. Mind you, that is with an environmentally controlled bunker.  Out in the elements? Fraction of that.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.