Author Topic: ASVAB  (Read 2181 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
ASVAB
« on: July 10, 2005, 03:06:56 PM »
OK, I am a college student going into my Sophomore year.  I decided I want to take the ASVAB, just to see how I would do on it.  From what I understand, military is completely out of the question for me, as I am diabetic.  Does anyone know if I can take the test, not being eligible for the military, and if I can take it being out of high school?  Also, where would I look to get signed up for it?  Their site doesn't mention testing areas or dates, would I have to go talk to a recruiter?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

grislyatoms

• friends
ASVAB
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 03:29:35 PM »
As I recall, the Virginia Dept. of Labor offered testing for the ASVAB at one point. Maybe call your Dept. of Labor? They gave me a battery of all kinds of tests when I went for job counseling.

(I may be mixing this up with when I went to the recruiter to get in the Navy. Quite a few years ago.)

Worth a shot, maybe.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

TarpleyG

• friend
ASVAB
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 03:55:08 PM »
I had mine set up through the recruiter and had disclosed any medical conditions beforehand.  That was in '87 so I am not sure what it's like now.

Greg

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
ASVAB
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:29:00 AM »
Seemed like when I was in high school (4 years ago), all my friends that took the ASVAB scored 95%+... It's almost like they score everyone high just to reel them in lol. Or maybe my friends are all smart.

jefnvk

• friend
ASVAB
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 09:17:26 AM »
Therein lies one of the reasons I want to take it.  I know a few people that got in the 30's range, and want to see how I would compare to them (i.e., is the test that hard, or are they just not the brightest)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
ASVAB
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 11:27:37 AM »
I took the ASVAB. It said I was well suited to be a politican, an assassin, or a town drunk...

Now I'm a writer for a government contractor. Think of all that wasted potential. But I'm too old to change. Smiley

Believe it or not, this is the first time I've ever heard of the ASVAB.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
ASVAB
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 07:58:08 AM »
I had to go through an army recruiter, so... *shrug*.  I'm not sure if you could take it even though you're not eligible.

Zundfolge

• friend
ASVAB
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 10:51:17 AM »
They won't ask about your eligibility to when you take the ASVAB ... nor do you agree to enter military service by doing so.

You will, however, have the recruiters calling constantly for years ... especially if you score well on it (I scored in the top percentile).

Scoring high on the ASVAB will look good to most colleges (along with high ACT and/or SAT scores) so you don't stand to loose anything by taking it.

Also, I seem to recall that ROTC may take some people who are ineligible for military service because of health issues ... but I could be wrong.

jefnvk

• friend
ASVAB
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 12:47:13 PM »
Army ROTC only lets you do some of the things that anyone can do without comitting to service.  Even in some of the classes that you can take, you cannot complete all of the things taught.  I took the AROTC lab because I needed some time filled, and I couldn't do BRM or FTX, because I could not take a comission.

Like I said, not a big deal if I can't, just wondering how I'd do.  I'll check out the work placement people, see if they offer it, and my brother is going to ask the Marine recruiter next time he goes in for a visit.