Author Topic: Cleaning a brass spitoon?  (Read 9981 times)

Paddy

Cleaning a brass spitoon?
« on: July 10, 2005, 04:34:35 PM »
I've got an old brass spitoon that is from the early 1900's. It says 'Goldfield Hotel Goldfield Nevada'.  It is way grungy; you can see where the drool layed on it for awhile.  I've tried Brasso, Flitz and a couple of other cleaners that don't really get the job done.  Any suggestions?  (btw, how long do tuberculosis germs live?)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 05:16:51 PM »
I just asked swmbo as she has every kind of metal jewelry known to man.  She said if brasso doesn't clean it, it's probably not brass.  Huh??
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 05:46:25 PM »
Yep, Brasso should clean it about as well as it's going to polish up ever again.

And, as far as tuberculosis germs, if you're nervous about it, soak it in a 10% bleach solution for an hour or two.  Takes care of most things, up to and including most viruses.  I'd be more leery of the old rheumy codger running the antique mall than catching anything 'free-living' on the surface of an old, dry spittoon.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 08:04:25 PM »
I've tried Brasso, Flitz and a couple of other cleaners that don't really get the job done.
You're sure it's not laquered?  I haven't seen many authentic brass spittoons that weren't.  (Dad used to collect stuff like that)  They were usually laquered because spit, tobacco drippins and whatnot are hard on metals.  In fact, most every brass anything is coated with laquer to keep it from oxidizing.  If it wasn't laquered, you should have noticed quite a bit of tarnish on it.  Check out the bottom of it.  Was it shiny to begin with?  If it was, you might have a problem after using brasso.  If you took the laquer off, it will turn a brownish color PDQ.  Usually it occurs in spots.

As for the stains...  You *might* try ammonia.  I know it works on bare metal.  Maybe somebody who knows more about laquers will come along and give some advice on that.  You might also try a mild soap and some hot water.  It shouldn't damage anything.  If you have stripped the laquer, you'll need to remove the rest of it to keep it from looking shabby.  Some steel wool or extremely fine sandpaper should do the trick.  Once the rest of the laquer is removed, polish it up with brasso, and then give it a coat of olive oil to prevent oxidation.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 01:53:42 AM »
Spit shine it.

Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

onions!

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 11:18:25 AM »
Permatex 11E.Radiator cleaner.No poop.Comes in 1qt bottle.Will get you a clean surface PDQ.In fifteen years of trying various products,this one works the best.

Don't ingest.Bad juju.

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 04:10:45 PM »
Here's what it looks like.  

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 09:00:49 PM »
Did you polish that bottom half?  If not, it looks like it still has laquer on it.  The top half looks to be devoid of it entirely.  That's the sort of brown you get with complete exposure.  I would try scrubbing the whole thing down with a nylon scrub brush and some dish soap, and then try another scrub with an old towel and some linseed oil.  Whatever doesn't come off after that probably won't come off ever.  Put some Brasso on it, then a layer of olive oil to seal it.  After that, just enjoy whatever stains are left as "character."

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 04:08:25 AM »
Polished the bottom half and the 'lip' on top.  I'll keep working on it, thanks for the suggestions Smiley

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 05:27:10 AM »
Outsource it to Cheapistan. It's the Harvard BizSchool Way.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 11:54:06 AM »
You can try Never Dull. I've had fairly good results with that.

TerryBob