Author Topic: Air Conditioner recommendations?  (Read 2133 times)

JAlexander

• friend
Air Conditioner recommendations?
« on: July 13, 2005, 11:30:52 AM »
It seems that our central air unit is going to crap out within the next indeterminant while, so we gotta look into replacing it.  The local A/C guy went on at length about how cool (hehheh) the Carrier Infinity series is, but considering that it's the most expensive unit he sells, I want other opinions.  Our house is about 1300 sq ft, so we only need one unit, and it doesn't have to be huge.  So let me have your opinions.  Good, bad, I want them all.  I'm pretty cheap, but if it'll save me money in the long run then I'm willing to pony up the money.

Thanks.

James

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 11:45:08 AM »
Talk to your neighbors. Find out: 1. What units they have, and more importantly, 2. Who services them.

Many of the big name brands actually share important components, made by contractors.

Carrier, Bryant, Lenox, Trane, Amana and others all have decent reputations.

I don't know what your humidity levels are like, but if you have high humidity, you may want to look at a variable speed unit that will work to both cool and reduce humidity. Many single speed systems cool to quickly to effectively reduce humidity to comfortable levels. I have that problem in my house, unfortunately.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 02:52:42 PM »
Carrier makes GREAT stuff, but it's the Cadillac.
Bryant is the Chevy, made by the same company.

Lenox has extremely efficient units and about the best warranty in the industry.

Trane is good, too, but IMHO a step behind the first two.

You can ask a dealer if they have access to any "scratch & dent" units, full warranty with just cosmetic forklift dents in the case, etc.  That can save you some money as well.

DigMe

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 06:19:02 PM »
Tranes are made just down the road from me so if you buy a trane, you're supporting my neighbors...or something like that.  Smiley

brad cook

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 07:50:57 AM »
I replaced my unit last year, and just about every tech I talked to said that either Trane or Carrier is about the best choice for price vs. performance. Fewer problems, and easy to service if there is a problem. Plus, Trane is made right here in Texas! Lennox was the first choice if price was no object.

If your house is relatively energy efficient then a 2.5 ton unit should be fine. If you have an older home or a lot of people going in/out all the time then it might be better to get a 3 ton. Also consider a 13 SEER unit. It's only a little more than a 10 or 11 SEER and it will return benefits in the form of a slight, but noticeable, reduction in energy bills. Anything rated higer than 13 SEER will tend to be very pricey, and the savings in utilities is normally not enought to justify the extra expense even over the long term.

Also, consider an extra $500 or so to have more insulation installed in your attic. About 60% of the heat migration in your home it through the ceiling. Adding a little extra insulation there can make a HUGE difference in your heating and cooling bills.

Just FYI, my electricity bill in the summer months used to be right at $170. With the installation of my new HVAC unit, a programmable thermostat, and an extra 8" of blown-in insulation, my highest electric bill since has been $105. Overall I'm averaging about a 40% savings in energy bills. I figure the upgrades will pay for themselves in 6 years (71 months, to be exact).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mfree

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 09:39:28 AM »
I had a Trane installed a couple months ago, seems to be doing well. Total for central unit and gas furnace was $3500. I haven't seen a change in my electric bill but I'm using a lot of power anymore anyways with a roommate now keeping lights on, running appliances, etc.

I figure it's about 40% more efficient than the ancient 9 SEER unit it replaced.

Ron

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 06:46:11 PM »
I am an HVAC guy in the commercial end of the business.

My home has a Trane unit which I am happy with because it's quiet.  It isn't far from the patio so that's important to me.

I like the Lennox commercial equipment a lot and think Carrier commercial equipment is junk.

I have heard Carriers residential equipment is top notch.  I would never give them the time of day because I hate their commercial line (cheaply made and poorly designed) so much.

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 07:44:23 AM »
You should check with your electrical provider.  Often, they have rebates, incentives, etc. when you buy a new system.  Sometimes, you can get a better system for the same money by talking to them first.  Some of the co-ops even offer financing, etc.

Ryan

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 08:18:06 AM »
I have a SHARP window model that I have used for several years now without a hitch. @ 150 bucks at Costco, if I remember correctly. The swamp cooler just doesn't cut it some days.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot