Author Topic: Never under estimate the value of a smile!  (Read 1724 times)

P95Carry

Never under estimate the value of a smile!
« on: July 13, 2005, 02:59:32 PM »
This is I guess another ''manners'' type subject, and as we know good manners cost nothing.  I wonder tho if folks stop to think how a smile can change a situation or the demeanor of another.

I have just come back from my Wednesday late pm/early evening steel shoot, and on the way stopped to gas up.  I then as often bought a snack to keep me going.  This gas station chain (Sheetz - a very PA name) - does MTO's .... ''Made to Order''.

I elected to get a small sub and punched in my order thru the 'puter screen, got my ticket, paid and waited.  In the kitchen/prep' area was a sweet little girl of probably 17 max, with a face as long as a yardstick.  She was either unhappy, or generally pi$$ed at the world - plus probably earning little better than minimum wage.

Once my sub was prepared she handed it over - at which point I said ''thank you'' but also smiled.  She melted!!  It was as tho she felt - ''hey, someone cares - someone appreciates me''.  It was good to see and she smiled back.  I am no expert on human relations but it struck me that the small gesture from me of appreciation maybe brightened her otherwise dull day.  I hope so and it felt good.

So - folks - even if your day is a bad one and you feel miserable - donate a smile to those around you and the feedback may well make your day feel better too - it costs nothing Smiley.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

...has left the building.

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 03:16:11 PM »
I've found that a smile and a pleasant demeanor can get you pretty far. For example: Best Buy does NOT return opened software but I bought some that did not work on my computer even though I met the recommended requirements on the box. I go to the counter with the software, my receipt, and a smile. I talk to the girl for a few minutes and then walk out with my cash. During the conversation I found out what she was doing that evening, how excited she was about getting off fairly early, and that she really didn't want to go to work that AM because of some late night partying the night before. She found out what I was doing that evening and also that I was married (hey she asked!). There were only two sentences said about the software, "I need to return this software Smiley " and "We aren't supposed to return software for any reason."

Long story short, I agree Chris that being cheerful (but not foolisly cheerful) makes life a lot more bearable for yourself and all the people you encounter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 03:46:03 PM »
It wasn't the smile or the thank you, you old fart.

It was the British accent.

Hell, I melt when you talk to me! Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 03:50:29 PM »
Or lack of...

Chris, you have seen Sadie's smile.  Well they just got back from a camping trip this afternoon and are staying here tonight.  I guess Sadie is teething or something because she is in a BAD mood.  She has never been this crabby.

Grandpa has been getting a few smiles, but I gotta work at it, which is outta the norm.

Back on topic.  Having worked in retail for the last 35 years, I find a smile goes a long ways in making a transaction go smoothly.

A smile and a "Mornin'" will brighten anybody's day, especially a stranger.

P95Carry

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 04:25:37 PM »
It wasn't the smile or the thank you, you old fart.

It was the British accent.

Hell, I melt when you talk to me!
Mike - Bwhahahah -      

-

Oh and BTW -  

Cheesy
Chris - P95

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 05:24:29 PM »
Takes fewer facial muscles to smile than it does to frown.

Hmmmmm....old fart.  I think I know where that comes from.  After one gets to be about 55 and above, that is the normal smell of most men...old fart. (been ricochetting around in them baggy pants for a day or so.)   At least that is what swmbo tells me.  "You smell like an old fart."  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 05:44:20 PM »
Gotta agree with Mike BTW.  It was the accent.

I keep telling Sandy "you need to talk to Chris one of these days, if nothing else, his accent will put you in a good mood."

Smiley

P95Carry

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 05:46:54 PM »
I'll call again one day Larry - see if she can tell if it's me or Peter! Smiley
Chris - P95

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 07:10:03 PM »
"Takes fewer facial muscles to smile than it does to frown."

But when you frown, you exercise more muscles.

It's aerobic!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.